Best small engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think the best small engine is and why?
I am partial to briggs vanguard engines as I have had good luck with them but Im sure others have had good luck with others also. From all of my research it appears that Kawasaki has the best reputation. Im curious what others think.

My Honda's have been great. I've heard nice things about the Vanguard. I'm not that big on B&S though. Been burned too many times with low quality parts... To me, engineering is a huge element. Just look at the Chinese copy cat versions of the the Honda motors (shame on them). From all accounts, they are a very good motor, in large part to their superior engineering. To me, if B&S wants to re-establish themselves as a premere small engine maker, they need to make the Vanguard line (or something veryh similar) their standard engine. Dump the flathead engines.

I repair and rebuild small engines for a hobby; and after being into all of them, my favorite is the Robin. The design and quality of materials in their engines are first rate in my opinion.

The honda is an excellent engine. I have one on a power washer, not sure on the hours, but it still starts as easy and quick as when it was new.

I have a snapper rider with the Vanguard that has over 2100 hours on it with no repairs.

I also have a John Deere rider with the water cooled Kawasaki that has over 1500 hours, it had the infamous plastic cam gear that did fail and was replaced with the updated steel gear,but other than that has been a fine running engine.

I have seen Wisconson Robin engines go over 3000hrs before giving up the ghost. These engines are pricey, but the reliablity was second to none.
If i were going to build something to last, these engines would be at the top of a short list.

I'm not a fan of Honda but I read a post on a RV board from a guy who ran their 2000 watter for basically 2 yrs straight (10,000+ hours) and the only problem was wearing out the plastic cam lobe. That is impressive.

Fatboymoe,

The company is now called Robin/Subaru for some strange reason.

The rest of you guys,

I hate to be the barrier of bad news, but Mitsubishi makes the Vanguard for Briggs & Stratton. Companies find it easier to contract out rather than trying to get around patents.

The most bulletproof small gas engine ever made was the original Wisconsin engine. All cast-iron and forged-steel, taper-roller bearings on the crank, and Stellite valves. We used these to run irrigation pumps 24/7. Typically, they would last 20 years.
As for modern engines, Honda, Robin-Subaru, and Kawasaki engines would give the best results. Yep, the Vanguards are Japanese-made, which is why they are the only Briggs engines worth owning.

I find it interesting that there is such support for the Robin engines. I dont doubt that they are very good. Im wondering why some of the major players such as deere, cub, simplicity, and others dont offer them on their mowers and such. Is it a cost factor?

I also find it intersting at this point that there is not any big support for Kohlers. You know they made a big impression with the K series long ago and many thought that the sun rised and set in Kolers you know what. I have had briggs and kohlers k series engines most of my life and think the briggs are the best all things considered. Not knocking the K series at all here. I do know that kohler has had some problems as of late.

My 97 Polaris ATV has a Robin engine.
325cc 2 cycle
It's a great engine, but I'll never run it long enough or hard enough to know how long it will last.

Robin/Subaru is actually owned by Fuji heavy industries. My order is Robin,Honda,Kawi,Kohler,Suzuki 2 stroke, Briggs, Tecumseh. Goldenrod you are correct about the vanguard and they are well made. Kawi has a few issues and kohler also but that is what is available in the commercial mower industry 90% of the time.

Believe it or not:

I own a 17.5 HP B&S engine, run it hard wide open for 3+ Hours a shot every week in severe dust and bouncing conditions for the last 10 years.

I have had not a lick of problems with it !!!
fruit.gif

Good quality engine or just lucky...????

quote:

Originally posted by 416Rigby:
The most bulletproof small gas engine ever made was the original Wisconsin engine. All cast-iron and forged-steel, taper-roller bearings on the crank, and Stellite valves. We used these to run irrigation pumps 24/7. Typically, they would last 20 years.
As for modern engines, Honda, Robin-Subaru, and Kawasaki engines would give the best results. Yep, the Vanguards are Japanese-made, which is why they are the only Briggs engines worth owning.

Hard to beat those old Wisconsins. I am very partial to my Kohler 7 hp K-series on my Troybilt tiller. It is over 20 years old.
Joe

for residential use the honda gc over head cam engines are very tough to beat as far as i am concerned. i havent ever had a chance to use a robin/subaru engine so i cant compare them to honda.

question for you guys. the b/s engines that are made by mitsubishi, are they just made by mitsu or were they actually designed by mitsu? if no, then who designed them? are they metric?

who makes the generag engines? anyone know who designed generac engines?

Last summer I bought a brand new Briggs OHV 5.5 hp engine to replace the worn-out 5 hp Briggs on my log splitter. I put gas, oil in itchecked it all out and it started the VERY first time I ever pulled the rope. In fact, it has started on the first pull every time since. They sure don't make 'em like they used to, and it's a GOOD thing!
Joe

I have Vanguards on two 10kW genarators...now I know why they look Japanese and perform extremely well!

As for Honda... I had a push mower once that used a Honda with the diagonally split case. It had way too much crank end-play and knocked like an old thrasher from day one. No more Honda's for me thank you - although they may be a good engine. It was mainly their attitude when I asked to have it corrected. "What us...the great and powerful Honda! We never have trouble with any of our products!" (I'm being facetious)

Honda's are proud of their products, no doubt. I've had and have nothing but good words for B/S engines. Easy to work on...you ever replaced a shear pin on a Honda engine? PITA. Noticed lately that all the newer B/S engines sure have a lot of plastic in them....springs, carbs, lines, etc. etc. Just they way things are going I guess.

Robin's generator (11HP) is superb, proven here in Florida hurricane central, this I know. I have a 7.5HP older Robin that is quite good also.

3 or 4 yrs ago, I had 2 Honda water pump engines fail. Both were of the same lot and failed in the same manner. I am certain this would never happen with the current ones.

Honda engines range from excellent to average. Look at the EPA required sticker for lifespan information. The ratings are displayed in different manners. A=best b=,,,, 1000HRS=best for large engines, 500=best for engines under 271cc.

Robin engines ALL have the top rating. (AFAIK)
B+S engines have ratings all over the place. (depending largely on price)
Kawasaki engines nearly always have top ratings with the exception of 1 model of low end mower with a middle rating.
Tecumseh all have the lowest ratings. (AFAIK)

Hope this helps.

I've read a bunch of good things about the kawasaki engines. I've been trying to find a good used John Deere push mower with a Kawasaki 7 HP engine.

This is a mower any bitoger would love. It's got pressurized oil system (oil pump instead of splash) and.....a SPIN ON OIL FILTER!

Finding one of these for sale used is like finding the holy grail. I guess I could break down and spend $1000+ for a new kawasaki powered JD push mower......but I'd rather not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back