Help quick, out of bar and chain oil for chain saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm out of bar and chain oil for my chain saw, and I rented a cherry picker for the day. What else can I use in a pinch?

Not sure, but do you have any gear oil. My chainsaw bar oil seems thick and sticky like a 75+ weight gear oil. Perhaps that can do in a pinch.

Whimsey

you can use 30wt in a pinch but it doesn't have a tack additive. Inertia will fling it off the chain more, make more of a mess, and lube the chain less.

Sorry greencreww penns and elj are right, a straight 30 weight in a pinch. I just found the book for my Stihl chainsaw. But if you have a hardware or autoparts store near you you should be able to get the chain and bar oil. I usually buy mine at the local auto parts store, but I know my harware store also carries it.

Whimsey

If you like mixing stuff, here is a brew that I currently use:

To a gallon container;
2 pints of Schaeffer's #132
1/2 pint Mobil 1 SS 5W30 or Schaeffer's #701, 5W30 Supreme.
Fill up the rest of the container with Conoco SAE 30 ND or equivalent.

This gives you a semi-synthetic or "blend" bar and chain oil that works in any temperature.

Bar wear has been non-existent on my two Puolan chain saws.

hey kule, if you like mix things, that's alright, but i saw recently in an amsoil mini catalog that they market a bar and chain oil. havn't tried it. i'm guessing it's synthetic. penz

Shopping at my local supermarket today they were selling bar & chain oil by the gallon - $2.99. Its in the automotive section. Worth a check of your local store to see what they have.

You can find bar and chain oils at bargains.

Yes, I tend to pamper and keep chain saws for quite a while. Have had these two for ten years and cut wood every spring and fall.

Amsoil does make a good semi-synthetic bar and chain oil.

Most bar and chain oils are Group I SAE 30 with tackifier and little if any AW/EP adds. I wanted my moly and antimony for FM and AW protection. Gotta keep those baby's purring.
rolleyes.gif

I also use use Schaeffer's #706 for the fuel/oil mix and have been very satified with the performance.

I have used Wal-Marts, Tech 2000 bar chain lube for a few years now and is super cheap and has served me well. But then I only cut 3 cords a year at the most, well use to till we moved now no need for the wood.
grin.gif

Mola, Thats high dollar bar oil. I never heard of someone that pampered a poulan like that.

Mola, Many of the cheaper brand bar oils are actually reject hyrdraulic fluids witha additive call visatac added. I have found Stihl(usa) bar oil to be very good, shell canada bar oil is also very good and tech 2000 from wally world in Canda to be very good as well. The tech 200 available in the states stinks. Its way too runny causing it to fling off and leaves the bottom of the bar quit dry. this is rerally evident when using bars over 24".
I actually thought about making my own brew albeit a slightly cheaper one. I wa sgoing to adda quart of cheap 90w gear oil to a gallon of wally bar oil. Incedently walmarts tech products in Canada are made by petro canada and are very good imo.

quote:

Many of the cheaper brand bar oils are actually reject hyrdraulic fluids with a additive call visatac added.

Depends on the formulator/supplier. visatac is just another name for a tackifier, a polyethlylene copolymer.

A cheap 90 weight gear oil thinned down with a synthetic oil can be used in all temps. In fact, I did this in a pinch one time in MO when I forgot to bring enough "brew" to finish out some cutting. I had some straight 90 weight gear oil for the tractor and some Amsoil 5W30 ASL I used at the time for the S-10 pickup. The gear oil had tackifier in it and the on-site brew worked well at 0 F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back