restored lawn boy 2 cycle

Posted by: spasm3

restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/16/14 05:29 PM

I'm looking at a restored lawn boy mower, What horsepower were these? I'm going to try and get it for under $200 , It it may hit the $200 mark.
looks similar to this one. Thoughts??

Its a brick top.
Posted by: 65f100

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/16/14 05:54 PM

3.5 horsepower
Posted by: PeterGreen

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/16/14 08:02 PM

I loved my Lawn boys but after years of breathing in two stroke fumes, I am happy to use a Briggs and Stratton John Deer.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/16/14 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
I loved my Lawn boys but after years of breathing in two stroke fumes, I am happy to use a Briggs and Stratton John Deer.

With good synthetic oils, are fumes that strong with one of these?
Posted by: fdcg27

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/16/14 09:10 PM

I loved my old Lawn Boy, but you can buy runners for a little bit of nothing. Check out CL.
$200.00 is too much to pay for one, especially since the term "restored" can mean anything from a good clean-up to a rebulit machine.
Posted by: Donald

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/16/14 09:11 PM

Is the goal to mow grass or own a vintage lawn mower? I think 2 cycle should be reserved for things you hold and carry the weight like chain saws, blowers, weed whackers. At least as far as OPE goes.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/16/14 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald
Is the goal to mow grass or own a vintage lawn mower? I think 2 cycle should be reserved for things you hold and carry the weight like chain saws, blowers, weed whackers. At least as far as OPE goes.

Maybe both.
In this case it is a rebuilt engine and carb rebuilt, repainted deck. I plan to use it as a trim mower around trees, and the flowerbeds, before mowing with the zero turn. A push mower puts less grass clipppings in the mulch in these areas. I would spent around $200 for a low end mower, my thought is why not for one that will outlast the home depot cheapie.
Posted by: UncleLee

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/16/14 11:53 PM

I love lawnboy mowers, I have a 1953, 1963, 1976, 1977, 1987, 1997, and a 2014.
Depending on the year of your bricktop it and the level of restoration, it could be worth several hundred to some people. The one you have pictured looks about like my 1977. So if this is the case. $150-$250 should be a fair range.
However if you want one to mow with I would suggest a duraforce 6.5 hp..this engine will shame the honda and kohler motors on todays mowers and my wife can run one with one hand.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/17/14 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: UncleLee
I love lawnboy mowers, I have a 1953, 1963, 1976, 1977, 1987, 1997, and a 2014.
Depending on the year of your bricktop it and the level of restoration, it could be worth several hundred to some people. The one you have pictured looks about like my 1977. So if this is the case. $150-$250 should be a fair range.

Welcome UncleLee!
Well the aution just went over $255, so its going out of the range i want to pay.

This is the actual mower on ebay but its over what i hoped to pay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lawnboy-vintage-...=item1c3f211b5e

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/17/14 12:09 AM

Thanks for the welcome..and please see my last post as I have edited it.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/17/14 12:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestion on the duraforce. I'll look at those too.
Posted by: Hokiefyd

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/17/14 07:38 AM

I think the current price on that auction is too much for a brick top that is anything but "showroom condition". The picture posted looks like a good runner, but not a show piece.

I do, however, like your thought of buying a mower that will last far beyond what a Craftsman or Home Depot cheapie will last. I own four Lawn-Boys myself, and enjoy them all. I have a '87, a '95, a '96, and a '99. I'm currently working on getting the '96 running good. It's a 10523 Gold model, with a 5 hp F engine, 3 speed transmission, alloy deck, the works. I paid $27 for it not running. After a carb clean and new coil, it runs good, but not perfect yet. Still messing with it.

Where in North Carolina are you?

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/17/14 12:01 PM

Something else to remember about older restored machines...to get the right parts to do them up correctly can be costly and time consuming. You could easily spend far more than the price of a new mower. I have over $50 in just the ignition system on my 53, $51 for wheels, $130 for base coat clear coat, $90 original price of the machine and I still have not got into the carb nor paid my spray guy or considered my time in polishing and cleaning. When it is finished, I would have to get $750 to $1000 for it if I were to consider selling. They are a lot like cars, easy to put more in than you can get back out...unless you find the right collector. Oh and did I mention reproduction decals...lol $20 each

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/17/14 12:40 PM

Luckily I didn't need rebuild the engine. The price could have went up dramatically.
But when I see people on tv pay $6500 to restore a pedal car... a grand in a lawnboy seems reasonable to me...;-)

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/17/14 08:16 PM

Just checked ebay...the current bid on the 77 Is at $310 reserve not met

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/17/14 09:02 PM

I'm suprised, i had no idea it would go that high.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/17/14 09:05 PM

Are you bidding?? He he
grin2

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/18/14 12:49 AM

Lol nah...I'm bidding the 65....already have a 77...;-)
Posted by: chestand

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/18/14 08:04 AM

I have probably 14 or so LB's including a bricktop just like that one. I love the look of the brick and the great sound when it's well tuned. LB's are in my opinion the best mowers ever made. 4hp from a Lawnboy beats 6hp from a 4 stroke every day of the week in real world cutting and I've had both.

That said, that brick is maybe a $100 mower, no higher. I saw one on CL the other day for $40.
For reliability, power and plentiful parts, find a LB with the F series engine. The bricktop is a D series engine. Nothing wrong with it, but D parts are getting harder to find.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/18/14 08:58 AM

I don't know a lot yet about the engines, how can i tell the f series engines from pictures? Are all f series 6.5 hp?
Posted by: Silverado12

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/18/14 05:33 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lawn-Boy-R8237-2...=item4d1ad95b03

I believe they're 5 hp. f series engine
Posted by: jhellwig

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/18/14 07:25 PM

I always liked the odd look of these mowers. I remember what a pain it was to put them on the display rack at the farm and home store I worked at back in 2001. The rack wasn't meant to fit that style but we never dropped one.

I was looking at Craig's list earlier and saw a unused one with the aluminum deck for 850. It was a newer style mower but wow.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/19/14 08:45 AM

Wow it has gone to $410!!
Posted by: Propflux01

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/19/14 09:06 AM

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Wow it has gone to $410!!

Don't forget the $85 in shipping!
Posted by: wag123

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/19/14 12:21 PM

The F-Series is a 4hp engine. The D-Series is a 3.5hp engine. But, 2-cycle engines in this size range are torquier than 4-cycle engines and will actually perform like a 4-cycle with a higher hp rating. The F-Series engine is far superior to the D-Series engine in a number of ways.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/19/14 01:30 PM

Thanks for the breakdown. I actually just bought a 6.5 duraforce lawnboy , its not self propelled but i don't need that. The deck is steel. The only thing i see i need is the mulch plate. Do all the mulch plates interchange? I see several on ebay, just not sure which to buy.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/19/14 07:37 PM

Currently the 77 Is at $450

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/19/14 07:42 PM

The mulch plate for the duraforce says easy mulch on it...but most will fit I think...well exept for the magnesium ones.
And not to be rude but to those that doubt the value of a lawnboy. ..they are worth what someone will pay. And in the case of the 77 bricktop on ebay....the numbers don't lie. Right now it is worth $450. Maybe it is time for you to start selling....;-)

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/19/14 08:44 PM

Winning bid $501

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/19/14 10:53 PM

Winning bid $501

I'm blown away by what the final price was, given it was a nice looking mower. I had no idea they went for that. But do you think he had more in it restoring it to that level?
Posted by: SilverC6

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/20/14 05:22 PM

Wow, should have kept my old Lawn Boy 2 cycle and sold it on Ebay.

I think I let it go for $75 15 years ago.

A big yard with healthy grass and a Lawn Boy 2 cycle will work you.

Riders are where it's at.

Now a Forrest Gump rear engine Snapper....I'd bid that up.
Posted by: chewy781

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/22/14 08:02 AM

i bought a good used 7024 lawn boy a couple years ago for only 50 bucks i just use sometimes lawn boy oil or outboard oil in it. it runs great.
Posted by: bigdreama

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/22/14 07:10 PM

Who knew?

I may need to list my later model 2 stroke mystery (unknown year or model) Lawnboy on flea bay and coast to an early retirement. cheers

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/22/14 07:28 PM

Wish I could figure out how to post pics on here. I would show the progress on the 53 restore.
Posted by: Nayov

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/22/14 07:29 PM

What was the reasoning behind the odd ball wheel configuration on those things and what's the vestigial wheel up front for?

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/22/14 07:39 PM

The off set wheel configuration is to prevent scalping when you come out of a ditch for example. The wheel set closer to the center prevents the deck from bottoming out,It also allows for mowing close to walls and fences. The custom front wheel on the duraforce above is one I can't answer...;-)

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/22/14 09:24 PM

Winning bid $501

I'm blown away by what the final price was, given it was a nice looking mower. I had no idea they went for that. But do you think he had more in it restoring it to that level?

Hard to say, if he is like me and has to buy most parts he could easily have that in it.
If he has or had an association with a lawnboy dealer and has access to new old stock parts, he could have done it cheaper.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/23/14 12:32 AM

I bought this one, i hope it is in as good a condition as it looks here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271451013352

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/23/14 06:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Nayov
What was the reasoning behind the odd ball wheel configuration on those things and what's the vestigial wheel up front for?

The fifth wheel up front is to prevent the right front from nose-diving into a root or depression in the ground. The staggered-wheel design is one that prevents scalping of the grass and allows a remarkably flat cut on uneven ground, but there are drawbacks as well. That right front is like a big scoop...if you have the mower set low (as many southern grasses prefer), it's not hard to "dig" that right front into the ground, especially if it's not self-propelled, as that mower in the picture appears not to be. When you push on the handle, the front of the mower will naturally want to lean down.

This isn't really a problem on self-propelled mowers. Pull the bail and the rear wheels spin and weight is actually lifted OFF the front. But when pushing, that front wants to dig in. It's also not really a problem with the alloy decks. Compared to the alloy decks, the steel decks flex a lot. I own two of both and won't buy any more steel deck ones.

Same concept as the deck wheels on a riding mower. I actually like that guy's idea (the fifth wheel).

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/23/14 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I may need to list my later model 2 stroke mystery (unknown year or model) Lawnboy on flea bay and coast to an early retirement.

It has the white decal on the back of the deck. Post (or PM me) the model number (large 5-digit number) and first few digits of the serial number and I can tell you the model year and series of the mower.
Posted by: Gizmo8800

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/23/14 10:27 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but this thread has got me motivated to go ahead with restoring an old commercial Sarlo mower I have. Can anyone tell me where is the best place to go to get an old mower repainted? I want something more than just sanding it down myself and spray painting it. Would an auto paint shop be the place to go, or somewhere else?

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/23/14 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Gizmo8800
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but this thread has got me motivated to go ahead with restoring an old commercial Sarlo mower I have. Can anyone tell me where is the best place to go to get an old mower repainted? I want something more than just sanding it down myself and spray painting it. Would an auto paint shop be the place to go, or somewhere else?

I would look for a local automotive paint dealer. They generally will know those who buy paint from them and can make a recommendation. An individial might do a better job economically that a busy auto bodyshop.
Posted by: bigdreama

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/25/14 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Nayov

The fifth wheel up front is to prevent the right front from nose-diving into a root or depression in the ground. The staggered-wheel design is one that prevents scalping of the grass and allows a remarkably flat cut on uneven ground, but there are drawbacks as well. That right front is like a big scoop...if you have the mower set low (as many southern grasses prefer), it's not hard to "dig" that right front into the ground, especially if it's not self-propelled, as that mower in the picture appears not to be. When you push on the handle, the front of the mower will naturally want to lean down.

This isn't really a problem on self-propelled mowers. Pull the bail and the rear wheels spin and weight is actually lifted OFF the front. But when pushing, that front wants to dig in. It's also not really a problem with the alloy decks. Compared to the alloy decks, the steel decks flex a lot. I own two of both and won't buy any more steel deck ones.

Same concept as the deck wheels on a riding mower. I actually like that guy's idea (the fifth wheel).

You nailed it. Apparently one of the previous owners added the 5th wheel to help keep the right front corner from digging in. It seems to work pretty well but the diameter of the wheel probably needs to be a little bigger.

This was a $50 CL buy that I use for a small grassy area by my pool since I mow the main yard with the lawn tractor. This Lawnboy is just perfect for the job and I really kinda like it.

Hokie- Thanks for the offer.... I will check out the numbers and get back to you.
Posted by: andyd

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/26/14 07:35 AM

I scored a LB 7073 from Craigslist free stuff in '07 I used it for 5 yrs as a trimmer The LB has a strong following and is collectible. The tractor forum has a sub forum for walk behind mowers that has a strong LB contingent. I picked up a newer one for 50$ but dont use it. I have a fine running Toro walk behind with a Suzuki 4 stroke. I like 2 stroke mowers. Light and agile. I dose my 2 stroke mix with MMO. Smells great.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/27/14 04:13 PM

I got the duraforce mower friday. Cranked it up today. Runs great , does need a new primer. Has a lot of power!! Smokes a bit on homelite synthetic at 32:1. Should i go 40:1? Do i just pull off the old primer cover? Does the new on slip on?

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/27/14 06:02 PM

Hope ya like that duraforce. Just watched another lawnboy bricktop sell on ebay for $1025 makes me consider selling o couple of mine. They are much more rare.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/27/14 06:11 PM

Wish I could figure out how to post pics, do I have to be on a computer to do that?
Posted by: PhilsSmallEngine

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/27/14 07:07 PM

I just picked up a Duraforce 6.5 that "didn't run" for $50. It's rough, but it's so cheap. I just spent 10 minutes on it and it fired right up and mowed the entire lawn. I need to fix the throttle as it's stuck at WOT, but that's fine with me. I found myself a new keeper.

I can't imagine running it at 32:1. It smokes like a pig at ~64:1 on Amsoil Saber with 93 octane Shell V-Power. I'm excited to find an 8am neighbor pleaser for so little money.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/27/14 08:03 PM

Wish I could figure out how to post pics, do I have to be on a computer to do that?

I post images to image shack and then embed them. I did not know how until JHZR2 gave me instructions.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/27/14 08:05 PM

The duraforce runs really good. No surging. It really does have power and is not loud. I'm sure it will do well with the mulch plate i ordered, so i don't throw grass in the flower beds and around trees.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/27/14 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
I just picked up a Duraforce 6.5 that "didn't run" for $50. It's rough, but it's so cheap. I just spent 10 minutes on it and it fired right up and mowed the entire lawn. I need to fix the throttle as it's stuck at WOT, but that's fine with me. I found myself a new keeper.

I can't imagine running it at 32:1. It smokes like a pig at ~64:1 on Amsoil Saber with 93 octane Shell V-Power. I'm excited to find an 8am neighbor pleaser for so little money.

Alot of times if they have sat for a few years they will smoke untill they pass al the crude out of the carb and so on. Most of the time they will clear up after a mow or two.
Posted by: PhilsSmallEngine

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/28/14 07:45 AM

I have a multiple snow throwers with R-Tek engines (aka the Duraforce without an airbox) and they smoke like pigs too. I'm just a bit of a baby when it comes to the amount of smoke my 2 cycles put out. This thing looks like it was never run more than 50 hours total. No carbon build up and the carb was spotless. It wouldn't start because the primer line was broken and the bulb had a rip in it. The guy I bought it from said it sat for a year in his really nice basement/garage.

Now I need to pick up a couple more primer bulbs as they are the same as my snow thrower and mulching plug and I'm all set.
Posted by: sparky123

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/28/14 05:00 PM

I have two LB 2-stroke Mowers. One is the "Silver" Duraforce Series 10323 self prop. and a "Gold" Duraforce series personal pace bagger. LOVE the staggered deck. Very powerful engine. On the Duraforce engine, be aware of the spring which opens/closed the rear choke on the carb. If this isn't working properly you'll have a VERY hard time starting the mower. This was the problem I had w/the 10323. I took the carb off the "Gold" and could not get that spring back on properly! So...I ordered two throttle cables (42"/47" length) and will open and closed the rear choke manually w/this additional cable. They will start/run great after this modification. On my mowers, I'm doing the 32:1 mix. 4 oz. oil to 1 ga. gas. Great mowers though for me it has been a love/hate relationship. Now that I figured out the carb issue, it will be all good from now on! I hope!
Posted by: Papa Bear

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/28/14 06:26 PM

Just got my 1989 "Green Hornet" fired up for the first mowing of the season today.

Purring like a kitten..
thumbsup

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/28/14 07:16 PM

Lol just an 89....just now starting to get broke in

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/28/14 07:36 PM

For some reason, i now want another, I have no idea why. I think i know someone with an older brick top style with a bad deck, i may see if i can get it.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/29/14 07:05 AM

For some reason, i now want another, I have no idea why. I think i know someone with an older brick top style with a bad deck, i may see if i can get it.

The bug has bit, lol welcome to the club

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/29/14 09:24 PM

I post images to image shack and then embed them. I did not know how until JHZR2 gave me instructions.

So I started a photobucket, uploaded pics, tried to post them here, just a bunch of code in my message. Tried to embed them, just a bunch of code in my message. Tried to link to them, got a link to show up but it took me to a page that was no longer available, went on youtube and whatched a video about how to share pics to a web site, copied click for click........a bunch of code in my message. Maybe I need to go to tech school and get some kind of computer degree so I can post a pic of my lawnboy....lol
Posted by: Papa Bear

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/29/14 09:29 PM

In Photobucket under "Links to share this photo" choose IMG

then paste that into your BITOG post

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/29/14 09:48 PM

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/counterpoint82unclelee/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>
There you have it
Posted by: Mike72

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/30/14 12:45 PM

Here is my main mower, 1975 Lawn Boy model 7024

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/30/14 03:11 PM

Trying this again, 1981 Lawnboy/JC Penny unrestored all original

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/30/14 04:43 PM

1963 Auto mower one of the first self propelled modles

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/30/14 05:03 PM

That 63 looks really cool! i like the handlebars

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/30/14 05:45 PM

quote=spasm3]That 63 looks really cool! i like the handlebars [/quote]

Thanks, I like the lime green too.
This is my Iron Horse Lawnboy 52 or 53 not sure...it is an 8FH11LB... the service manual starts in 54 with the 8FH13LB. it is the first staggered wheel rotory blade Lawnboy. It is currently my restore project.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 04/30/14 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike72

Here is my main mower, 1975 Lawn Boy model 7024

Ol Uncle Lee has a spot for it with the rest of the boy's...lol
Posted by: Mike72

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 06:00 AM

A 1972 Lawn Boy 5269

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 07:06 AM

I like the 72...here is my 87 supreme

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 09:10 AM

All your Lawn-Boys look the same... For some variety, here's my 1987 model 8157.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 10:03 AM

All your Lawn-Boys look the same... For some variety, here's my 1987 model 8157.

Very nice.....where the M's at?
Posted by: FastGame

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 10:35 AM

OK, I can't take it any longer. I want one of the Lawn Boy's...can't find any listed in Michigan.

so

Hokiefyd, UncleLee, Mike72, please, one of you, sell yours or find me one as nice as yours.

edit= I found a bunch of 4 cycle LB, and two 2 cycle that look ok but not as nice as the ones posted here. I'm going to look at both of them, one is $ 50 and one $ 100.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: FastGame
OK, I can't take it any longer. I want one of the Lawn Boy's...can't find any listed in Michigan.

so

Hokiefyd, UncleLee, Mike72, please, one of you, sell yours or find me one as nice as yours.

edit= I found a bunch of 4 cycle LB, and two 2 cycle that look ok but not as nice as the ones posted here. I'm going to look at both of them, one is $ 50 and one $ 100.

Unless the 4 strokes are real old....well they are just imitation lawnboys made by toro..I have the new one with the kohler engine. Good by todays standards, but falls far short of a real lawnboy. Think when I see my decal guy next time I am going to have some pink Lawngirl decals made for it and paint it pink, cause it don't deserve lawnboy green

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 01:13 PM

URL=http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/counterpoint82unclelee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140416_150756_zps952219bb.jpg.html][/URL]

My ol duraforce and the new lawngirl...lol

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 02:17 PM

I like 4-strokers as much as 2-strokers. This is a 1999 model 10330 that originally came with a Tecumseh engine. I've swapped it to a Honda GCV160. Very recently (just a few weeks ago), I took the Honda back off to install a Tecumseh TVS120 from a late '80s Craftsman (remember the old Craftsman Eager-1s?).

With the Honda:

I'll post a picture of it with the refreshed Tecumseh perhaps this weekend. The Tecumsehs are lighter even than an F engine...even with the self-propelled equipment, it's a VERY light weight and maneuverable mower.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 03:00 PM

Here is an engine swap I found on craigslist...lol

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 07:07 PM

That looks really nice! i'm jealous!

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 07:08 PM

Trying this again, 1981 Lawnboy/JC Penny unrestored all original

Very cool! have you even used it for mowing? It looks so new!

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 08:43 PM

URL=http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/counterpoint82unclelee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140427_165506_zpsf217d385.jpg.html][/URL]

The way I was told, this mower has two seasons on the clock. The original owner broke the spark plug wire and put it in the basement. After years went by, he gave it to the grandson to fix. The grandson put it on craigslist. I gave it a proper home. The top pic is how I found it. And no I haven't mowed with it yet...but I may...;-)

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 08:48 PM

Thats impressive UncleLee, did you repaint the plastic as well as the deck? Or did you buff teh plastic parts? How much did you buy vs refinish?

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 09:10 PM

Krud cutter and a garden hose...a little armor all on the plastic..believe it or not. It is in its original condition right downto the decals.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/01/14 10:04 PM

To my great delight, I found that just a thick layer of west Texas dust was hiding this underneath.
Posted by: chestand

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/02/14 08:30 AM

My daily driver is a F powered SNZ861 from the 80's. It's got exactly the features I want: self propelled, metal Walbro carb with choke and handlebar throttle control(no primer bulbs to crack), cast deck. It truly is a one pull starter. Why anyone who's the least bit mechanically inclined would spend money on a Walmart throw away low end mower is beyond me. The same money would get you a used LB that's something you could hand down to your kids. You might have to work on it a bit to get it in top shape, but that's part of the fun of LB's.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/04/14 03:32 PM

I used the duraforce a good bit, put the new primer button , and the mulch plate. It really mulches well due to the power. I do wish it was self propelled as it is tough to push( i wonder if larger wheels would help). But for the trim work its fine, very pleased. It was a bit tough to start at first , till i found the spark plug gap was almost .060. After that it starts nice. I used it on some tall grass and even with the mulch plate it really did not bog down.

Re: restored lawn boy 2 cycle - 05/04/14 04:31 PM

All of my LB's are self propelled except the Iron Horse and my 19" 71 bricktop, but I have not mowed with either. Will most likely try them before paint though.
Like you..I haven't found much that slows the duraforce down much.