Generator failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
If their generator did not work, then most likely they're unable to read your post right now.
smile.gif

Kohler 8HP K181. Points needed to be filed as it had no spark. I did not need it, but had to go out and make sure it would be ready.

The most common thing I have seen with generators failing is engines seizing due to no oil. Its the reason a lot of newer models have low oil shut offs. People buy them, put gas in them, and run them. Maintenance such as oil, spark plugs, air filters, etc, are out of sight and out of mind.

This is especially true for machines that burn oil, and may consume excessive amounts while being run for hours at a time. A generator is usually run for longer periods of time compared to push mowers and lawn tractors.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The most common thing I have seen with generators failing is engines seizing due to no oil. Its the reason a lot of newer models have low oil shut offs. People buy them, put gas in them, and run them. Maintenance such as oil, spark plugs, air filters, etc, are out of sight and out of mind.

This is especially true for machines that burn oil, and may consume excessive amounts while being run for hours at a time. A generator is usually run for longer periods of time compared to push mowers and lawn tractors.

another good reason (consumption) to not run synthetic oil in these lose built engines

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape

another good reason (consumption) to not run synthetic oil in these lose built engines

A couple of months ago I saw a generator for sale on CraigsList, they wanted full price that they paid for it, and said it was only ran a short time but stopped running and they figured out that they had forgot to put oil in it.

I bet a lot of Generator failures are because of Chonda engines,the Briggs engined ones keep on keeping on...

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape

I don't get it...

Good reason not to run synthetic? I think just the opposite. Good reason to RUN synthetic. In fact several years ago I was on a small engine forum. There was a discussion that how using synthetic oil in concrete mixers,post hole diggers,generators and such that some doubled the life of their small engines by running synthetics. That when oil was low they lost far fewer engines using a quality synthetic oil over conventional.

Last edited:
Fuel supply is the largest single issue. If the power is out, and you need to generate your own, where do you get "mo'gas" from? The gas stations in your area and probably in surronding areas, as well, will most likely have no electricty to run their pumps. Another issue has to do with storage and purchase price of gas. Many generators will consume at least 5+ gallons of fuel per 10-hour day even with moderate useage. If the power is out for 7 to 10+ days (or more) you will need (let's say a 10 days supply) approximately 50+ gallons of gas. How and where are you going to store 50 gallons of gas? Outside somewhere? It probably will get stolen. Inside the house or garage? An explosively extreme fire hazard! Lots of people don't have the up-front money to buy 5 or more 5-gal gas containers and even 10-5gal containers give you only 50 gallons of gas--which can easily total up together for around $175 to $200. Then if the power is restored, if you're so lucky, two days later then you have 40 gallons of gas to use up and store until it can be used up in your car. Been there and done that.

There are details about these failures that aren't being reported. Like, "the generator worked fine until we ran out of gas" details.

For Katrina, at the place where I work, we lost $4.5 million worth of inventory due to generator "failure." Which was not really the case, since the generator's fuel supply (natural gas) was shut off to prevent flooded houses nearbly from catching fire or blowing up due to pilot lights going out. The best layed plans of mice and men often...don't work out! The generator was a 20KW commercial product (Genrac) with a 4cyl water-cooled engine running NG, which was the only general fail point in the set up barring refrigeration equipment failure, etc. Anyway, we survived Katrina, and the flood itself, but couldn't control for the NG shutoff.

Personally, I hedged my bets this year at home by buying a Tri-fuel 16HP, 10KW portable generator wired into the house. I have natural gas as a primary source of fuel, propane as a secondary source (safer storage) and lastly--gasoline. For a Cat 1 storm, I probably will stay home, Cat 2 or more...We're outta here! I'll have a set up working until the power is restored.

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
Fuel supply is the largest single issue...

That and fuel system issues on the generators themselves.

Guaranteed that's the most common operational problem with portable gens.

Joel

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
Fuel supply is the largest single issue. If the power is out, and you need to generate your own, where do you get "mo'gas" from? The gas stations in your area and probably in surronding areas, as well, will most likely have no electricty to run their pumps. Another issue has to do with storage and purchase price of gas. Many generators will consume at least 5+ gallons of fuel per 10-hour day even with moderate useage. If the power is out for 7 to 10+ days (or more) you will need (let's say a 10 days supply) approximately 50+ gallons of gas. How and where are you going to store 50 gallons of gas? Outside somewhere? It probably will get stolen. Inside the house or garage? An explosively extreme fire hazard! Lots of people don't have the up-front money to buy 5 or more 5-gal gas containers and even 10-5gal containers give you only 50 gallons of gas--which can easily total up together for around $175 to $200. Then if the power is restored, if you're so lucky, two days later then you have 40 gallons of gas to use up and store until it can be used up in your car. Been there and done that.

There are details about these failures that aren't being reported. Like, "the generator worked fine until we ran out of gas" details.

For Katrina, at the place where I work, we lost $4.5 million worth of inventory due to generator "failure." Which was not really the case, since the generator's fuel supply (natural gas) was shut off to prevent flooded houses nearbly from catching fire or blowing up due to pilot lights going out. The best layed plans of mice and men often...don't work out! The generator was a 20KW commercial product (Genrac) with a 4cyl water-cooled engine running NG, which was the only general fail point in the set up barring refrigeration equipment failure, etc. Anyway, we survived Katrina, and the flood itself, but couldn't control for the NG shutoff.

Personally, I hedged my bets this year at home by buying a Tri-fuel 16HP, 10KW portable generator wired into the house. I have natural gas as a primary source of fuel, propane as a secondary source (safer storage) and lastly--gasoline. For a Cat 1 storm, I probably will stay home, Cat 2 or more...We're outta here! I'll have a set up working until the power is restored.

So when they rebuilt did they go with propane or diesel. If its purely for backup, the running cost for fuel is not very important, but you do have to pay for it up front.

I don't get the no synthetic thing. Also I keep 30 gas on hand for my gen. I think I can squeeze that out to 5-6 if need be.

granted, I've only had smaller units-- an eu2000i and a yamaha 3k inverter, but their oil consumption is nil, and they see strictly synthetic oil. They want 5-30, they get 10-30.

My inverter generator calls for 15W-40, but Rotella 5W-40 was highly recommended for hot-running, hard working air cooled engines.

My beloved Honda EU6500is is currently on loan to a friend who's been without power for 5 days. I'm only a little uneasy about that. I feel better knowing it got a fresh crankcase of Mobil 1 0w-40 before I dropped it off to them. I'm keeping track of the hours it's run since then (running since 7pm last night).....the manual calls for 100 hour oil changes. If we get that close I'll run to their house to change it--they are mechanically clueless.

Originally Posted By: JR
I run any only 0w20 in my gas gens. Lower consumption and peace of mind that the best is in there during the endless , continuous, hours of operation when youre relying on the juice to be there.

Ken

Is that humor?
Most of these generators run HOT. Even with the Best 0w20 I'd worry about it being too thin for the splashed based lubrication system and shearing down.
My experience is that the vast majority of generators are Air cooled, and commercial quality larger generators are large enough they have a Liquid cooled system.

Either way I've never seen nor heard of a Generator that required a 20 weight oil, probably due to their smaller sumps.

Personally I run synthetic 40 weights in anything air cooled that I have. Although freezing temperatures are rare down here I can still get my equipment started when it is down near freezing.

As far a Generators, that are run several hours at a time, I'd still worry about the high heat of the air cooled engine even in freezing temperatures. Small sumps and going hours without it being checked on is asking for trouble.

How much time do you have on your Generator, what brand is it, and how is your 0w20 holding up?
You have me interested.

While waiting for power to come back, my neighbors 5.5 hp generator broke a connecting rod. Snapped right in half. I was wondering if that may have been caused by the piston starting to seize due to overheating , or just a fluke. The oil level was ok, but hadent been recently changed. But it doesn't seem like a lubrication issue. any thoughts?.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
While waiting for power to come back, my neighbors 5.5 hp generator broke a connecting rod. Snapped right in half. I was wondering if that may have been caused by the piston starting to seize due to overheating , or just a fluke. The oil level was ok, but hadent been recently changed. But it doesn't seem like a lubrication issue. any thoughts?.,,

No way to tell except to tear it apart and take a look.
Lots of things could of gone wrong. No break in period = lots of crud in the engine, lack of fresh oil from to long an interval, and fuel dilution come to mind.

What brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back