Mopar Manual Tranny Fluid (P/N 4874464)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysis was done by Blackstone. This is for the Mopar Manual Transmission Fluid (Synchromesh) - Chrysler part No. 4874464. From what I have heard it is the same as the GM synchromesh.

• ALUMINUM 9
  • CHROMIUM 4
  • IRON 1
  • COPPER 9
  • LEAD 1
  • TIN 1
  • MOLYBDENUM 0
  • NICKEL 0
  • MANGANESE 0
  • SILVER 0
  • TITANIUM 0
  • POTASSIUM 0
  • BORON 4
  • SILICON 23
  • SODIUM 3
  • CALCIUM 50
  • MAGNESIUM 3324
  • PHOSPHORUS 1600
  • ZINC 1143
  • BARIUM 1

FLASHPOINT: 375
SUS VISCOSITY@ 210 ºF: 58.2

This is what Blackstone had to say:
quote:

We expect virgin oils -- engine, transmission, or otherwise -- to be fairly free of metals and silicon. We found a fair amount of both in this sample, though they are probably not a problem. Just keep in mind where the oil started from when sampling your transmission. No moisture or insolubles were present, which is great.

My apologies.
blush.gif
I copy/pasted wrong. Here is the real data:

• ALUMINUM 4
  • CHROMIUM 1
  • IRON 9
  • COPPER 1
  • LEAD 1
  • TIN 0
  • MOLYBDENUM 0
  • NICKEL 0
  • MANGANESE 0
  • SILVER 0
  • TITANIUM 0
  • POTASSIUM 0
  • BORON 4
  • SILICON 23
  • SODIUM 3
  • CALCIUM 50
  • MAGNESIUM 3324
  • PHOSPHORUS 1600
  • ZINC 1143
  • BARIUM 1

Check out Redline's MTL. Its got 1K ppm more of both Zinc & Phosphorus & Calcium. AND what is up with the 9 ppm of iron in the Mopar stuff?

• Iron (Fe) 1
  • Copper (Cu) 0
  • Chromium (Cr) 0
  • Aluminum (Al) 3
  • Lead (Pb) 3
  • Tin (Sn) 5
  • Silicon (Si) 25
  • Sodium (Na) 21
  • Potassium (K) 11
  • Molybdenum (Mo) 1
  • Phosphorus (P) 2520
  • Zinc (Zn) 2820
  • Calcium (Ca) 2860
  • Magnesium (Mg) 11

The chemical signature and vis. of the Mopar fluid looks very similar to a 5w-30, HD diesel oil. The viscosity is somewhere in the 9.5-10.0 Cst range, if I recall the conversion.

This would not be a GL-4 product like MTL, but rather a GL-1, non-EP fluid. The amounts of P and Zn do seem flipped however? These are normally chemically combined in the ratio of 4:5.

The large # of silicone is in there to prevent foaming, which can be very destructive to gears and bearings ...

It's interesting that they are using a magnesium based detergent chemistry, but that may be a cheaper approach.

Err...this wouldn't be the synthetic stuff that the jeep dealer sells for $15/quart, would it (GL-3)? If so ...I wonder why it has phosphorus in it. This is allegedly what lunches the AX15's synchros. The only reason that I ask is that other than the synth GL3 gear lube ...I always thought that for all manual trans applications that call for gear lube (some call for ATF) ..that normal GL-5 spec lube was the norm.

quote:

this wouldn't be the synthetic stuff that the jeep dealer sells for $15/quart,

I don't think they ever claimed that it was synthetic but I think its the same stuff you are talking about. I got it for $12.50/quart. I also don't think it API GL rated... Its a "unique blend for the NV3500 tranny", atleast this is what the bottle claims.

Does anyone know what is the point of the 9 ppm of iron? Dirty pipes maybe?

I think I'm going to give the Redline MTL stuff a try. They claim on the website and on the phone that the MTL "satisfies manual transmissions and transaxles requiring MOTOR OILS or GL-1, GL-3, or GL-4 gear oils" and they are not "corrosive toward synchronizers". I hope they are right.

Ted, the only problem I see with going with the HDD is that it has very little silicone to prevent foaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back