How much zddp is enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote to Valvoline with the following question;

1989 Jeep Comanche 4.0 with 100k miles. Looking for a good oil that contains enough zddp.
---------------------------------
Valvoline replied;

All Valvoline oils will contain enough ZDDP for this application, as high ZDDP is not required for a 1989 Jeep Comanche. All of our Valvoline products are suitable for use in this vehicle.

I replied;

I have been told that my unit has flat tappets and should have at least 1200 ppm.

Valvoline replied;

Date: October 29, 2008 11:53:21 AM EDT

The 1200 ppm of Zinc is something that would be required for a high performance racing engine with an oversize cam application. Not sure who is supplying this information to you, but any stock flat tappet cam application, only requires around 800 ppm of Zinc for protection and approximately 730 ppm of Phosphorus, as Zinc itself will not serve the purpose. If you would like to use the highest Zinc content product we have, that would be our Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil, with 1300 ppm of Zinc and 1200 ppm of Phosphorus.

Originally Posted By: Dana

I wrote to Valvoline with the following question;

1989 Jeep Comanche 4.0 with 100k miles. Looking for a good oil that contains enough zddp.
Valvoline replied;

All Valvoline oils will contain enough ZDDP for this application, as high ZDDP is not required for a 1989 Jeep Comanche. All of our Valvoline products are suitable for use in this vehicle.

I replied;

I have been told that my unit has flat tappets and should have at least 1200 ppm.

Valvoline replied;

Date: October 29, 2008 11:53:21 AM EDT

The 1200 ppm of Zinc is something that would be required for a high performance racing engine with an oversize cam application. Not sure who is supplying this information to you, but any stock flat tappet cam application, only requires around 800 ppm of Zinc for protection and approximately 730 ppm of Phosphorus, as Zinc itself will not serve the purpose. If you would like to use the highest Zinc content product we have, that would be our Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil, with 1300 ppm of Zinc and 1200 ppm of Phosphorus.

I don't see why their recommendation won't work. A well broken in stock cam/lifters/springs with probably less than stock spring pressure.

We had lots of cam failures in the TB community but most had bigger cams with stiffer springs. The stock engines didn't seem to care.

It seems there are other ways to skin a cat.
The oil companies are using other technologies to replace zinc's benefits .
But like mentioned, high performance, fast ramp, and high lift cams, along with strong valve springs , have special needs that a stock street engine does not.

Nice that they pointed out the high zddp VR1. Go with VR1 if it makes you feel better. Can't hurt, may help. I like higher zddp than current SM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back