Acura 2003 CL-Type S--5 20 or 0 20 for Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Mobil 1 5-20w as recommended for My Acura.
Would AMSOIL 0-20 provide more protection during a Minnesota winter?
thanks
John

A synthetic 0W-20 is ideal for your situation. Contrary to popular beliefs, a 0W-xx oil is not "thinner" than a 5W-xx oil. The first number refers only to the oil's characteristics at very low temperatures.

If I lived in Minn. I would certainly run a 0W-xx oil in the winter. Mobil-1 0W-20 is an excellent choice for you. The only reason to switch to 5W-20 come summer time would be if it is easier to find or significantly cheaper.

For a warm climate like South Texas there is little advantage to the 0W-xx rating. It isn't going to hurt anything, but probably will not do much for your either.

Quote:

i would recommend Amsoil 0W-30, i use that in my TL type-S

works great on VTEC engine

Quote:

A synthetic 0W-20 is ideal for your situation. Contrary to popular beliefs, a 0W-xx oil is not "thinner" than a 5W-xx oil. The first number refers only to the oil's characteristics at very low temperatures.

If I lived in Minn. I would certainly run a 0W-xx oil in the winter. Mobil-1 0W-20 is an excellent choice for you. The only reason to switch to 5W-20 come summer time would be if it is easier to find or significantly cheaper.

For a warm climate like South Texas there is little advantage to the 0W-xx rating. It isn't going to hurt anything, but probably will not do much for your either.

Sweet, Imma go look for a jug of 0w-20 at WM! Thanks!

Last edited:
0W grade oil might evapourate a bit in hot weather, if u hit VTEC a lot

but it does give an extra kick when u rev past 5000rpm coz it ahs less drag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back