Results of Honda/Acura HTO-06 Test _ Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Acura_RDX_Mobil_1_Brochure.pdf

It's not always about $$.
wink.gif

Quote:

Not all synthetic oils meet Acura’s HTO-06 standard.
In fact, using the wrong oil in a high-performance
turbocharged engine leads to accumulated deposits
in the engine, which reduces performance and
causes engine wear. In exhaustive testing conducted
by Acura engineers, Mobil 1 produced no critical
deposits on critical engine components such as
the seal ring, shaft, and the turbo walls.

I believe some young poster once said he would use a conventional oil in a Turbo. I wouldn't!
tongue.gif

Quote:

I believe some young poster once said he would use a conventional oil in a Turbo. I wouldn't!
tongue.gif

It was probably me! I have used HDEO conventionals for 3k intervals w/ no probs.
banana.gif

Let me qualify that....It was just a test to see the miraculous cleaning effects of an HDEO....

My current fill is a mix of 2 qts M1 5W30, 2 of 15W50, and .5 qts of Redline 5W30. Think that will meet the HTO-06 standard?

Quote:

Can you guys EVEN imagine if Amsoil published a graph like that?

Yeah, at least Amsoil puts the other oil company names on the 24-ball test graphs.
laugh.gif

spankme.gif

Quote:

Were you trying to be funny?

Funny and serious. Say what you will about Amsoil's marketing, they at least don't pull that "Brand A," "Brand B" baloney. They tell you what oil they test theirs against.

Thanks - that was my point. If Amsoil had a graph with:

1) Y axis labeled "Performance rating"
2) Amsoil 3X bar (than the next competitor)
3) Units of "Poor" to "Excellent"
4) And yes "Oil A" "Oil B...

You guys would split your shorts.

Amsoil names the majors, but *NOT* the guys the same size as them. Ever see them name Redline or Royal Purple specifically?
As far as Mobil 1 goes, in the US market, EVERYONE is "the little guy". The non-Mobil-1 synthetics might be better, but they don't sell more in the retail channel.

And Amsoil has stated the reason for this. Why bring up the closest possible competition if your possible customers may have not heard of them?

But I thought this thread was about a crabby chart from M1. No graph interpretation geniuses?
hornets_nest.gif
feedtroll.gif

The whole point of this thread is that Mobil doesn't just buy their way in. Honda tested other oils and chose Mobil 1.

Sure, I would have much rather they put the name of the oils tested, but I'm sure Mobil is laughing all the way to the bank. The list of "OEM Factory Fill" cars they now have is incredible.

Regarding Amsoil, they won't test RL not bc of RL being a small company (Motul/Maxima were tested in the MC white paper) but bc RL always fires back. That is my opinion based on people I've spoken with about it. They do at least post the brand name of the competition.

buster,

If you have been paying attention at all the past few years, you would not be surprised that a bunch of cost formulated, Group III based "synthetics" did not perform as well as even a basic PAO product. Particularly when it comes to the formuation of high temp deposits - which are NOT evident on a $20.00 oil analysis.

It's certainly no surprise to me or anybody else who's in this business.

Amsoil continues to test Redline in their lab - however there is no point in doing indirect advertising for much small competitors (nobody but oil geeks are aware of RL). The motorcycle situation is different, since oils such as Motul an Maxima are carried by many bike shops.

Ted

So I wonder who paid for the brochure and I wonder what that cost Mobil to buy their way in? What oils will they be testing next? (Seems rather "final")

Quote:

The whole point of this thread is that Mobil doesn't just buy their way in.

No, buster THAT is EXACTLY what Mobil did. They paid for the test. They paid for the brochure. I think Mobil even helped develop the test. Talk about biased!

Buster,

As tested, Feb of 2002:

Four Ball Wear Test, parameter #4 conditions (60kg load, 150C oil temp, 1800 rpms for 1 hr)

Amsoil Series 2000, 0.44 mm

Redline 20w-50, 0.73 mm (that's a very good score BTW)

All you had to do is ask...;)

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back