OIL - Why do you choose what you choose...

Posted by: wemay

OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 06:51 PM

What is the single most important factor in your oil purchase decision?
Posted by: tojo1968

Re: OIL - Why do you chose what you chose... - 05/06/14 06:54 PM

1. Reputation
2. Price

I have owned 3 100k+ and 2 200k+ mileage vehicles with no oil related problems using M1. Nuff said for me.
I know you said "single most" but there is no one deciding factor for me.
Posted by: Errtt

Re: OIL - Why do you chose what you chose... - 05/06/14 06:54 PM

^ yup and locally available
Posted by: AandPDan

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 06:56 PM

I'll say past experience right now.

My older vehicles use Mobil Super 5k, the newer, Mobil 1. I've been using Mobil products for over 30 years and never had an oil related failure.
Posted by: HTSS_TR

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 07:04 PM

Price.
I only bought name brands dino and syn when it was on sale with rebate(s). My 1994 LS400 with more than 380k miles had various oil brands in both dino and syn. As of now no engine problem what-so-ever. The MB E430 only had syn, S2000 had syn and dino.

After 20 years and 380k miles the LS400 body parts, interior and exterior, are falling apart, but engine and transmission are in good working condition.
Posted by: fdcg27

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 07:07 PM

FAR is always good.
I have many changes of FAR syns in my stash.
My only cost was sales tax and postage.
I also have some syns where I actually made a couple of pennies all in.
Good oils cheap are always a good choice and are the only valid reason to build a stash.
Posted by: Merkava_4

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 07:07 PM

1. Quietness
Posted by: jimbrewer

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 07:13 PM

Motorcraft for a Ford:

1. Reputation. Confirmed by UOAs

2. Price (at the Quicklane place)

3. Availability.

4. Extended warranty preservation.

OTOH picked up some M-1 EP for wife that I saw on sale at Wal-Mart. Everyone likes a bargain.
Posted by: walk23

UOA's.
Posted by: FowVay

I make oil purchases based firstly on whether the oil meets the requirements set forth by my engine manufacturer.

Secondly, I look for additional approvals that the oil carries from other manufacturers. The more approvals that a oil carries the better I like it.

And thirdly, I will narrow the oil brands down and then choose based on price.
Posted by: gregk24

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 07:20 PM

For me there is no ONE most important factor in choosing an oil. Its the combination of factors that I base my oil choice off.
For me, I like an oil with a good add pack, light on start up, synthetic, and available at a good price. TGMO fits the bill for me.
Posted by: razel

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 07:23 PM

Price. SM, SN oils are fantastic. Actually SL was the beginning of obsoleting differentiating between different brands. SM, SN made choosing major brands even less unnecessary.
Posted by: Cristobal

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 07:28 PM

Reputation.
Price.
Availability.
Posted by: spasm3

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: wemay

For me there is not a single most important factor. For the truck its reputaion, i use qsud for summer towing. In the hyundai its reputation also, it gets pen platinum. The olds and older saturn get nextgen hm since they are old cars and the saturn uses oil, i also got it for $1 quart. The low mileage saturn is not using oil so it gets pen ultra to keep the ring packs crud free.

Its a decision of expense and age of cars.
Posted by: Quattro Pete

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 08:07 PM

1. Carrying the appropriate mfg spec
2. Price
Posted by: oilmaven

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 08:40 PM

PZ Ultra because it lives up to it's claims providing excellent protection and cleaning abilities, has incredibly low NOACK and was on clearance at WM when I built my stash...
Posted by: Astro14

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 08:43 PM

Price.

Most of the time...the oil that's in the cars now was bought for between $1 and $2 a quart. As I run out of that - I will shop more sales. I do buy Mobil 1 0w40, on sale, but not at a killer price, because I choose to run that alone in the V-12.
Posted by: killswitch83

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 08:48 PM

Rep and price most definitely. QSUD seems to be a winner in the Ram
Posted by: toneydoc

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 08:58 PM

Price, name brand of the oil, and good analysis on PQIA.
Posted by: Kuato

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 09:04 PM

Climate. -35 starts in winter and and 105 in summer.

Protection.

Extended drain (10k and 1 year)

Amsoil.
Posted by: Barkleymut

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 09:08 PM

1. Price
2. Starburst
Posted by: bustednutz

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 09:10 PM

Any name brand thats on deep discount. Or I've always had great luck with "house" brands i.e: NAPA, Advance Auto, SuperTech, etc...

I'll even run a good oil filter for two OCI's.
Posted by: tig1

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 09:42 PM

It works well.

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 10:15 PM

Meets mfr spec / price
Posted by: Ben Boyle

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/06/14 10:48 PM

Mine is for various reasons. I live in a rural locale and my nearest auto parts store is a one man operation that is affiliated with the Auto Value brand. This guy will go way out of his way to find obscure parts for my Citroens and my Lada and really knows his stuff. I figure that this kind of service demands some loyalty. He sells various kinds of oil but his volume seller is Wolf's Head. Between my vehicles I use the Super Duty 10w30, Extreme Duty 15w40, and Syn-Pack 5w30 Dexos. UOAs have confirmed that these oils are all doing their job and he gives me a fair price on these oils. Maybe it's a bit off the mainstream, but I don't think that I'm really that much behind those running PYB, QS, or the others.
Posted by: Mr_Incredible

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/07/14 07:03 AM

I vacillate between M1 and PP (now PPP). They are both good oils and same price. I can't decide, really, so use them both in the various oil users in the driveway.
Posted by: Hokiefyd

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/07/14 07:49 AM

The single most important factor is how I like the oil in the engine. Some oils (and grades) are smoother than others. Some are noisier than others. I have found the ones I like with trial and error.

I have moved both of my engines from 5W-20 to 5W-30. I am now looking at various 5W-30s to see which ones I like the best. Formula Shell (cheap from BJs...like $2/qt cheap) is great in our Acura. If I like it in our Honda, too, then that's what I'll stick with. It meets the single most important factor (I like it), and meets the second most important factor (low cost).
Posted by: stranger706

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/07/14 02:17 PM

The colors on the jug match my running shoes. Not really, but...

Mostly availability. A certain large oil company is spotty with their oils and routinely hard to find. Another certain large oil company has tons of product in every store. So I've pretty much gone back to that oil that is readily available.
Posted by: demarpaint

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/07/14 02:24 PM

Price.
Reputation.
Availability.
How frequently the oil is on sale.
Posted by: disneyfire

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/07/14 02:25 PM

I have always been a Castrol fanboy. So, Yes i Currently use Edge.
Who knows....maybe in the future it will be another..
But ALWAYS a name brand company.
Posted by: salv

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/07/14 02:32 PM

Whatever is my bulk tank!
....or super cheap.
Posted by: Malo83

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/07/14 02:53 PM

Pennzoil for the last 45 years thumbsup
Posted by: Red91

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/07/14 06:45 PM

I choose Quaker State GB because I like the additive package, the price, and the reaction I get when I tell people I use Quaker State. smile
Posted by: Merkava_4

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/07/14 06:51 PM

Looks like I'm the odd man out again. grin
Posted by: CELICA_XX

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/09/14 03:38 PM

I'm astounded that so many people say "price" as a factor in choosing oil. I am a member of many different enthusiast forums, and this place takes the cake when it comes to people trying to use the cheapest stuff possible.

No one from a backpacking club will brag about using a $2.99 backpack on their latest camping trip.

No one from an automotive tire forum gets excited about using a $39 dollar tire from China.

No one from a camping forum is overjoyed with a flash light from the dollar store.

And yet these are all products that will work for a particular task. There are hundreds of other examples like this.

Sometimes I wonder if this is really an enthusiast forum.
Posted by: grantsburg

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/09/14 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
I'm astounded that so many people say "price" as a factor in choosing oil. I am a member of many different enthusiast forums, and this place takes the cake when it comes to people trying to use the cheapest stuff possible.

No one from a backpacking club will brag about using a $2.99 backpack on their latest camping trip.

No one from an automotive tire forum gets excited about using a $39 dollar tire from China.

No one from a camping forum is overjoyed with a flash light from the dollar store.

And yet these are all products that will work for a particular task. There are hundreds of other examples like this.

Guess it doesn't take much to astound you, huh? smile

Long ago I asked a friend of mine who was a mechanic and had tore down his share of engines, what was the best oil to use. His reply? Buy whatever is on sale.

I think his advice is even more true today. As long as one sticks to a name brand, you can't really buy a bad oil, especially if you change your oil every 5k or less. I'm more worried abut the oil filters I put on my car than the oil.

I generally buy whatever full syn oil that is on sale, run it for 5-6k and then get an OA. I've yet to find an oil that produced a poor result. Sure, some have a little more additive left and some hold their viscosity a bit better, but at the end of the day does it matter to the longevity of the engine? Of course not.

Judging from your post it appears that a person can't be an 'enthusiast' if he or she wants to save money. I'd say a true enthusiast is a person who wants to get the best bang for the buck.

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/09/14 04:52 PM

We interpret 'enthusiast' very differently, thats all.
Posted by: Sam2000

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/09/14 05:02 PM

Well most have realized that oils that meet spec are generally the same.

However, there is the additional factor that there are always deals especially on full synthetic oils. So I have plenty of cheap oil but it's all full synthetic.

And when the price is similar, sure I will choose the product I like, like a semi enthusiast.

I tend to spend money based on the value I will get. So I spent quite a bit of money on professional grade brake fluid caps for the pressure bleeder. Did the same on the jack. These are items that will last a long time which I want to perform well. With some things, quality matters and is worth paying extra for.

For oil, the enthusiast knows that there are not big quality differences so you can focus on price.
Posted by: fdcg27

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/09/14 05:16 PM

If you could buy a $2.99 backpack that performed as well as one that cost $129.99, wouldn't you?
If you could find a $39.00 tire that worked as well as a $139.00 Michelin, wouldn't you buy it?
On this site, we tend to talk more about performance for cheap than we brag about how much we paid for a name brand at regular price.
I have three cars on FAR oil at the moment, one on leftovers and a sixth, for which I didn't have room in my sig, on an API SL HM I got for less than $1.70/qt.
The one oil I paid real dollars for was the Idemitsu HGMO in the '12 Accord, but at average drain intervals of about 8K per the IOLM, the five dollars per quart cost is quite bearable.
Besides, I really wanted to use this oil in the Accord.
It isn't about how much we spend on oil, rather it's the premium oils we get cheaply.
I'd rather run FAR Ultra than $26.00/jug Ultra, just as I'd rather run FAR G-OIl and Defy rather than paying normal retail for either.
All solid oils bought at a deal.
The good or bad of this is that I have around three hundred quarts of these good oils cheap.
I've used twenty four quarts so far this year and will use another thirty one by the end of the year.
This will leave nearly 250 quarts in the stash.
Needless to say, I have a stopped buying anything not FAR.
Posted by: cheesepuffs

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/09/14 05:53 PM

Like others, I can't attribute my oil choices to just one deciding factor. I'm currently using QSGB for the first time and I love it because it's cheap (less than $14 a jug at Walmart), I trust it (I have faith in SOPUS to produce a quality product), and because my last three oils have now been VWB, PYB, and the QSGB and out of all of them Quaker State runs the quietest by a noticeable degree, especially compared to Valvoline. Some people may not care about that but I like it.
Posted by: Garak

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/10/14 02:32 AM

A MagLite is a significantly improved piece of engineering over a dollar store flashlight, and similar, concrete examples abound when it comes to the categories you mentioned. Even the return on investment is an issue. A police officer will likely choose a MagLite before a dollar store special, if only because he'll be replacing the latter countless times. No one's going to scale Everest using a Bratz backpack, either.

For a vehicle with moderate oil recommendations (i.e. the 5w-20 or 5w-30 in SM/GF-4 or better with reasonable OCIs), spending a bunch of money on a boutique synthetic will provide no difference in engine longevity versus QSAD, PYB, Chevron Supreme, Mobil Super conventional, Castrol GTX, VWB, or any other basic ILSAC rated lube.
Posted by: wjs

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/10/14 07:36 AM

I research BITOG and other forums for the experience of others.
I check the oil analysis results of others on this forum plus my own results.
That said, I used Pennzoil Ultra in the Camaro until a cam and other modifications were added to the engine. Engine builder insisted on Royal Purple HPS to protect the cam so that's what's in it now.
From this forum I learned Rotella T-6 should be good for the Jeep and that's in it.
Blackstone Oil Analysis Reports for both vehicles showed Ultra was a great choice for the Camaro and T-6 a great choice for the Jeep.
Posted by: supton

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/10/14 08:40 AM

On my Toyotas I am sticking with tgmo, at least for now, as it has a good rep, I do 10k OCI's and I worry about those long timing chains. On my Jetta I buy the oil online for ease, been doing that for a while. Some day I should do a cost analysis as I do seem to do around six oil changes a year.
Posted by: 6lbsoft

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/10/14 08:57 AM

M1 for when I dont feel like doing an oil change for the good part of the year.

Dino for when i'm low on cash and need to do an oil change.

When I get my next vehicle (hopefully a newer Silverado I will dedicate to synthetic.
Posted by: 05LGTLtd

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/10/14 07:49 PM

1) manufacture's spec

2) name brand

3) price

I'll run about any synthetic from sopus or Mobil M1 0-w40. I like castrol 0w30 and 0w40 too. If I can score a oil local for a good deal vs buying at Walmart, I stash it. My metric has become the five quart jug of M1 0w40. I'm not going to order oil on line, unless deal is worth it, which hasn't happened yet.

For some reason, I've decided MS5k is the choice for the lawn mower. I have other oils in the stash which would do as well, but I just bought another change of MS5k 10w30 last trip to Wally.
Posted by: MinamiKotaro

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/10/14 08:35 PM

1) Add pack
2) MRV
3) HTHS
4) Viscosity @ 100C

and the wildcard:

Availability
Posted by: demarpaint

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/11/14 05:23 AM

In the beginning of my Bitog days I was often swayed by oil that got hyped here for one reason or another. That can lead to changing brands often, and it can lead to some people who hoard oil scrambling to return their stash when the next latest and greatest Bitog favorite comes along.

I now use what I consider a high quality product, which is available everywhere I shop, and is on sale often. It makes life a whole lot easier. Until someone can prove to me a certain brand of oil can consistently extend engine life under any and all circumstances and in different car makes and models I'll be very interested in trying that product. Or if there's an outbreak of bad press about an oil or filter I'm using I'll make a change. For now it's back to the way I was before I was a Bitog member. I'm sticking with one brand for each of my vehicles, currently two oils from XOM and one from Havoline. I have no current plans on changing, at least in the near future.
Posted by: SteveSRT8

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/11/14 06:44 AM

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
In the beginning of my Bitog days I was often swayed by oil that got hyped here for one reason or another. That can lead to changing brands often, and it can lead to some people who hoard oil scrambling to return their stash when the next latest and greatest Bitog favorite comes along.

I now use what I consider a high quality product, which is available everywhere I shop, and is on sale often. It makes life a whole lot easier. Until someone can prove to me a certain brand of oil can consistently extend engine life under any and all circumstances and in different car makes and models I'll be very interested in trying that product. Or if there's an outbreak of bad press about an oil or filter I'm using I'll make a change. For now it's back to the way I was before I was a Bitog member. I'm sticking with one brand for each of my vehicles, currently two oils from XOM and one from Havoline. I have no current plans on changing, at least in the near future.

Almost identical feelings here. I used to be a diehard Amsoil fan and had the outrageous engine life and performance to prove it.

Then I met BITOG and everything is now quite different. Buy most oil at the local Wal Mart and simply use a quality product as per the "buzz" heard here...
Posted by: bustedknuckle

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/11/14 07:12 AM

1. Name brand, high mileage, on sale with filter. All my vehicles between 150K and 200K miles, I change every 3 months whether it needs it or not. I just like to get under the car and just makes me feel better.
Posted by: Jaymus

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/11/14 09:15 AM

I used to like Castrol GTX, and don't necessarily have anything against it, but while it did hold a 91 Dodge Stealth R/T NA 3.0 V6 DOHC 222 horsepower engine together under lots of abuse and many visits to 7300RPM, it didn't hold my highly modified twin turbo one together. Then again, I was ignorant with oil in 2004 and I didn't run synthetic oil in that beast. But, on the other hand, I ran it in my grandmother's 2000 Buick Park Avenue for a few years, only to see varnish on the inside and gain a leaking valve cover. I wasn't impressed with that.

It may have been around that time I started reading on this site. Either way, I choose my oils based on the vehicle and the UOA's I've seen on other similar engines.

I was using Pennzoil Platinum in all the 4.6 2v and 3v engines in my family. Still am, but will be watching UOA's on modular motors since Pennzoil went and changed everything up, again.

My 86 F150 5.0 EFI was also getting Castrol GTX 10W-30 and 10W-40 7 years ago. My first day of trying the magical Rotella T6 5W-40 gave me freer revving, both in neutral and under load. I kept that in there for a good 5 years straight. Just this passed winter I swapped it to Mobil1 0W-40, because I still wanted a 40 weight in it, still wanted higher zinc and phosphorous levels, but wanted something thinner to start up in the -5F to 10F cold mornings we were having.

Now, none of this means I'm right, it's just why I choose what I choose.

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/11/14 10:31 AM

GTX held my 4G63 EVO VIII together for over 200k miles. But I didnt abuse it much , to be honest.
Posted by: Roob

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/12/14 02:02 PM

KV40.

No one would have guessed that though grin
Posted by: CATERHAM

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/12/14 02:24 PM

- a VI as high as possible (that's retained in service).
- high AW additive levels.
- finally value.
Posted by: TiredTrucker

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/12/14 07:56 PM

1) reputation
2) oil specs
3) cost benefit ratio (wholesale)
4) free delivery
5) special discounts

1+2+3+4+5=Schaeffer
Posted by: maximus

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/12/14 09:29 PM

The color of the bottle I'm drawn to on the day I go to buy oil.
Posted by: surfstar

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/12/14 09:49 PM

1) price
2) price
3) price

All other factors are a waste of money. When you can get synthetic rebate oil for free or nearly free, why would I use anything else?
Posted by: J_R

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/12/14 09:59 PM

Mobil 1 0w40 for me as it's one of the manufacturer's recommendations for my Saab 9-3 and I know I can't go wrong with that oil. I guess my answer to the OP's question would be "reputation".
Posted by: Audioquest

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/14/14 10:53 AM

If the oil is what the owner's manual specifies and it's from a reputable manufacturer, I'll always grab the cheapest. Never had an oil related issue yet.

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/14/14 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
If the oil is what the owner's manual specifies and it's from a reputable manufacturer, I'll always grab the cheapest. Never had an oil related issue yet.

Hey Audioquest,

What does the Juke require?
Posted by: KrisZ

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/14/14 11:57 AM

I'm a firm believer that the way the bottle is shaped and colored has a great influence on oil's performance. For example when buying synthetic, I avoid square bottles with sharp edges because synthetic molecules are like "marbles" and will get deformed when stored in container with sharp edges.
I do the opposite for dino oil. Its molecules are like cubes, so a square-ish container is perfect for dino oil.
Color of the bottle tells me what kind of oil is inside. White black or grey tells me that the oil inside is "meh", but I'll buy it on sale. brightly colored bottles, like yellow, red, gold, etc. get me all excited and tell me that the oil inside is "hot" or "top notch", but I still get them on sale.

I've been following that rule for years now with great results... grin
Posted by: FetchFar

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/14/14 02:13 PM

Celebrity endorsements are the only thing that matters when selecting an oil.
Posted by: K23Turbo

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/14/14 02:50 PM

Specs! Has to meet manufacturer's requirements. A 5W30 synthetic good enough for the Honda/Acura HTO-06 K23 turbo motor, I would think does well in my motor, a 4B11T (EVO X GSR). Usually I'd go M1, M1EP, PP, or CE.
Posted by: Cooper

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/14/14 03:28 PM

Because it is the best, of the best, of the best, sir.
Posted by: PJboy

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/14/14 07:21 PM

Cost, specs, and experience of oil.

I like Castrol Edge Extended Performance in my 2014 Mustang GT, runs really smooth and quiet with it

In the daily driver, 2005 Hyundai Elantra, Mobil 1 HM and no issues with it running on Mobil 1
Posted by: 209paulc

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/14/14 10:12 PM

Because some Irish guy years ago wacked me with a dipstick.... honestly grew up watching my pops run castrol. My 99 Sierra 5.3 clocked 300k on syntec.
Posted by: Triton_330

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/14/14 10:34 PM

I believe that 'whims' are supernatural occurrences, and thus that buying oil 'on a whim' is a sign from God that oil is definitely the best choice one could ever make.
Sometimes if I don't feel a whim occurring, I know that there is no good oil there in that store, and so I go somewhere else and wait for an oil to literally jump off the shelf at me - and that works with filters, too. Just the last time I was at Wally World, lurking in the automotive section, a Motorcraft filter flew across the isle and smacked me across the face, and landed perfectly in my cart.

Originally Posted By: 209paulc
Because some Irish guy years ago wacked me with a dipstick.... honestly grew up watching my pops run castrol. My 99 Sierra 5.3 clocked 300k on syntec.

"Now that's thinkin' with yer dipstick, Jimmy!"

~ Triton
Posted by: Bud_One

Re: OIL - Why do you choose what you choose... - 05/17/14 06:55 PM

I like all oils... I just prefer Amsoil. My wifes car runs quieter on it than M1 and it stopped an annoying lifter tick in my 2500HD that would only occur when driving on the highway.