History of PU.

Posted by: pbm

History of PU. - 03/31/14 07:23 PM

I just noticed that some of the PU that I scored at the AZ clearance was the older SM stuff. How did this differ from the SN version?
I tried the 'Search' function but couldn't find the answer.

When did PU first come out?
Posted by: Quattro Pete

Re: History of PU. - 03/31/14 07:28 PM

Now that PU is being replaced by PUP, the current PU SN stuff is becoming a feverishly sought after collector's item due its extremely low Noack. But that's just among the BITOG crowd. Most others won't know the difference, and most engines probably won't either.

Re: History of PU. - 03/31/14 07:40 PM

I actually found my answer by using 'Google' rather than the 'Search' feature on this site.
Posted by: Lead Shoes

Re: History of PU. - 03/31/14 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: pbm
I actually found my answer by using 'Google' rather than the 'Search' feature on this site.

Best thing to do is search google narrowed down to results from BITOG, the search function within the forums is pretty bad.
Posted by: Trav

Re: History of PU. - 03/31/14 07:48 PM

SM was not GTL, SN was/is.
Posted by: 71Chevyguy

Re: History of PU. - 03/31/14 07:56 PM

IIRC the SM oil had a ton of additives and is probably great for a good cleaning. I know it turned black in my car after 300 miles and my car had never darkened the oil before. Must have found some dirt somewhere. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Posted by: Nick1994

Re: History of PU. - 03/31/14 08:03 PM

All 31 quarts of my Pennzoil Ultra score for $1.00 each at Autozone are SN. 5w30 & 10w30
Posted by: 901Memphis

Re: History of PU. - 03/31/14 08:08 PM

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2998576

Obligatory favorite score.
Posted by: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Re: History of PU. - 03/31/14 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Now that PU is being replaced by PUP, the current PU SN stuff is becoming a feverishly sought after collector's item due its extremely low Noack. But that's just among the BITOG crowd. Most others won't know the difference, and most engines probably won't either.

PUP?? The acronyms on this site are getting out of hand ha ha

So what's the scoop on the PUP that is better than PU or PP ha ha

Jeff

Re: History of PU. - 04/01/14 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Jeff

Actually, based on technical sheets, PUP has higher Noack than PU, so that's why people are on the hunt to buy out the last remaining stock of PU before PUP takes over.
Posted by: Zako2

Re: History of PU. - 04/01/14 07:15 AM

I scored some kind of PU at walmart for 25 a jug. Don't know if it's SN or SM. Just doing a favor for friend.
Posted by: HangFire

Re: History of PU. - 04/01/14 10:33 AM

A premium synthetic at close-out prices is another reason BITOG'ers are on the hunt for PU.
Posted by: rikstaker

Re: History of PU. - 04/01/14 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: HangFire
A premium synthetic at close-out prices is another reason BITOG'ers are on the hunt for PU.

I m planning a U.S trip shortly,might stockpile ultra. What is the typical shelf life for motor oil?

Re: History of PU. - 04/01/14 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: rikstaker
What is the typical shelf life for motor oil?

Depends on how sturdy the shelf is. smile

Presuming it's stored in a controlled environment, I'd guess 10+ years, but most oil manufacturers seem to claim about half that.
Posted by: PeterGreen

Re: History of PU. - 04/01/14 03:43 PM

For high Noack oils, shelf life is much higher, but be sure not to store it near any magnetic forces.

Re: History of PU. - 04/01/14 05:59 PM

What does PUP stand for? Why would penzoil switch up a fairly new product so soon?

Re: History of PU. - 04/01/14 06:03 PM

Ultra platinum got it im a little slow ha ha
Posted by: smithph

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 08:23 AM

PUP is up on the Autozone and Walmart websites. No pricing or availability yet.

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 11:18 AM

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
For high Noack oils, shelf life is much higher, but be sure not to store it near any magnetic forces.

I assume you are joking?
Posted by: Mossyoakglock

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 01:21 PM

How do I tell the difference between the PU SM and SN version?

I bought PU a few weeks ago when my oil change was due and got the regular PU at Autozone. How do I know which "version" I got?

If it was the regular PU, not PUP, should I go buy up as much of it as I can before it's gone? Might hit up a Walmart this weekend.

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Jeff

Actually, based on technical sheets, PUP has higher Noack than PU, so that's why people are on the hunt to buy out the last remaining stock of PU before PUP takes over.

Do you remember what the NOACK was on the PUP? I can't find the data sheets anywhere online. I can't even find the PUP website

I believe the PU NOACK is in the 6 range from what I last saw.

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 01:40 PM

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Pennzoil_Ultra_Platinum_5W-30_%28SN_GF-5%29_%28en-US%29_TDS.pdf

noack is 11.5

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Mossyoakglock

I bought PU a few weeks ago when my oil change was due and got the regular PU at Autozone. How do I know which "version" I got?

Not sure I understand your concern. One says "API SM" and the other says "API SN" on the label.

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 01:47 PM

I can't even find the PUP website

As usual, SOPUS is slow to update the Pennzoil.com website. They did create a site for Pure Plus (includes both new Platinum and Ultra Platinum), but there isn't much there at present...

http://pureplus.pennzoil.com/

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 02:39 PM

Not sure I understand your concern. One says "API SM" and the other says "API SN" on the label.

Well that makes it easy. I wasn't sure if there was something technical you had to look for and didn't think it would say it right on the bottle.

From the little google searching I did it seems I can't go wrong with either SN or SM PU but SN would be the better of the two, correct?

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 04:07 PM

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Pennzoil_Ultra_Platinum_5W-30_%28SN_GF-5%29_%28en-US%29_TDS.pdf

noack is 11.5

Do you have the new PP technical sheet too? Can't find that one either.

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 04:11 PM

Do you have the new PP technical sheet too? Can't find that one either.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Loc...n-US%29_TDS.pdf

Posted by: richport29

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 04:50 PM

I'm thinking the PDS for PUP must have a few errors. It just doesn't make sense for PP to be "better"..

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 04:57 PM

Better?

PDS is just a few numbers on a sheet of paper. It doesn't really tell you how the ad pack is structured, and how the oil will perform in your engine.

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 05:00 PM

Notice I put "better" on quotations..

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 05:13 PM

OK, so what did you really mean by your earlier statement?

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 05:20 PM

Wouldn't you expect the higher tier oil to have better numbers. Yes I know there just numbers on paper, but still. For the lower tier oil to have a higher vi and a lower Noack makes me believe the PUP PDS is flawed. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 05:20 PM

Ultra platinum has slightly higher Viscosity Index and slightly better MRV spec with a tradeoff in noack, but we cant compare two oils on pds alone, must wait for VOA/uoa to see how the add pack differs.

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: richport29
Wouldn't you expect the higher tier oil to have better numbers. Yes I know there just numbers on paper, but still. For the lower tier oil to have a higher vi and a lower Noack makes me believe the PUP PDS is flawed. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

ultra's VI is 173, platinum is 170.

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: richport29

ultra's VI is 173, platinum is 170.

Just noticed that, I'm on my cell smile
Posted by: A_Harman

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 06:59 PM

I think old PU was 167 VI and 7% NOACK. I wouldn't trade off a 80% increase in NOACK for a 4% increase in VI. I think SOPUS is crazy for releasing PUP with weaker specs than PPPP. How are people supposed to tell which is the better oil?
Posted by: KCJeep

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 08:33 PM

Since P4 will be available everywhere, and PUP will likely be a chase around game again, I'll take P4 since they are so close.
Posted by: Clevy

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 08:46 PM

Thanks Rikstaker.
With that kind of pricing I might load up. Like I need any more oil.
Posted by: yonyon

Re: History of PU. - 04/03/14 08:51 PM

From the little google searching I did it seems I can't go wrong with either SN or SM PU but SN would be the better of the two, correct?

Can't go wrong? Of course you can go wrong! You could spill it.