Synpower vs PYB for winter, which cleans better

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll get more responses regarding oil choice here.
The referenced thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2941149#Post2941149

Ignore about the MMO part, I'd like an opinion on oil choice with a very short tripper car in the winter. Past winter, I did have condensation goo inside oil cap from PYB.

My question below:

Another OCI is coming up for this D16.

I have two types of oil in my stash that's the right weight for this car.

2 jugs of PYB SN or 1 jug of Synpower SN.

I've always thought that since I have to do short OCI with the nature of the driving that it's best to just stick with a cheap dino that also claims to clean well(with high level of calcium).

Will synthetic clean significantly better with Valvoline's use of sodium + another MMO 8-12oz for the duration of OCI
or
I should just stick with PYB + MMO, because of the short OCI?

For short OCI's, I would recommend PYB.

The white mayonase is simply condensation of vapors. No big deal.

I do not see any need for MMO.

Originally Posted By: wing0
I'd like an opinion on oil choice with a very short tripper car in the winter. Past winter, I did have condensation goo inside oil cap from PYB.

Maybe it's your poor choice of words, but the condensation you experienced wasn't the fault of PYB. The problem is your short tripping.

Quote:

2 jugs of PYB SN or 1 jug of Synpower SN.

I would use the Synpower just because it's synthetic and should flow better in the cold. Remember, most wear occurs at cold startup.

As far as cleaning, is your engine dirty to begin with? Why the obsession with "which cleans better"?

Synth definitely *runs* better in a cold engine. Dino seems to bog down and make a cold engine feel like it's not wanting to spin as freely. I use synth I guess to *maintain* a clean engine. After all,a clean engine is a happy engine:). I've tried vwb and Synpower in my gf's Mustang. The Synpower is definitely smoother.

My vote is go with the Synpower (it's an excellent oil) and use it for the life of the car if you're happy with its performance.

An oil that "claims to clean well" is meaningless.
MMO doesn't belong in an engine - forget it.
The Valvoline in my signature is the best 0w20 oil you can buy in Walmart.

If cleaning is your main goal, Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra would be better than either-but Valvoline makes decent oils too. I'd make sure my PCV valve & thermostat were working correctly to deal with the "goo".

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Maybe it's your poor choice of words, but the condensation you experienced wasn't the fault of PYB. The problem is your short tripping.

Yes, and a check of the PCV valve wouldn't hurt, either. But the short tripping will easily do that in the winter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: wing0
I'd like an opinion on oil choice with a very short tripper car in the winter. Past winter, I did have condensation goo inside oil cap from PYB.

My mistake, please ignore the PYB part in that sentence. I know it wasn't due to PYB.

I am just waiting for a sale on PP before getting another stash. It's too expensive to buy synth here without discounts.

PCV was changed about 4K ago.

Last edited:
For winter, use the Synpower.
Synpower SN also seems to have much better TBN retetion than earlier formulations, judging by the UOAs posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back