To use 0W30 in place of 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine, his father is preaching for me to run 0W30 over 5W30 in my 2013 Silverado.

The manual calls for 5W30, but GM is now recommending 0W20 in the new 2014 5.3L engine.

Many folks are calling 0W30 the new 5W30.

I would gather that 0W30 would have slightly better cold starting properties than 5W30.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I too have been thinking of going with a 0-30 in my Trailblazer for the very same reasons as you. I was told that TN winters aren't cold enough to HAVE to switch to a 0-30, but that it also wouldn't hurt anything. I'm sure your winters are much worse than ours in TN are, so I wouldn't see why an oil with better cold flow properties wouldn't be the way to go for you. I hate the way my engine sounds in the winters with a cold start.

There should be no harm in running a 0W-30, but not much in the way of benefits in St. Louis. It's not like it gets really cold there and you therefore need to make use of the better uber-cold flow properties at startup.

Not really. lUBRICANTYS ARE chosen with a viscosity range to give good service life to the machinery as designed and its operating environment.
Some thin oils will sacrifice lubricity for cold flowability. There are tradeoffs as in most anything.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Not really. lUBRICANTYS ARE chosen with a viscosity range to give good service life to the machinery as designed and its operating environment.
Some thin oils will sacrifice lubricity for cold flowability. There are tradeoffs as in most anything.

OKAY My friend.....: ) (just bustin your chops)

Last edited:
0W-30 is a thin oil?

So does ExxonMobil.

Isn't this about the 8,000,000th time this question was asked?

Originally Posted By: volk06
GM says 0w-30 is ok to use in place of 5w30

True, GM does allow the user to use 0W30 in extreme cold temperatures.

Here is an excerpt form the owners manual.

Quote:

Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below 29°C(-20°F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures.

Last edited:
Why do you "hope"? If it is M1 AFE 0W-30 then it is, per ExxonMobil's website.

Originally Posted By: EricF
Hope the 0w30 is Dexos approved.

Originally Posted By: EricF
Hope the 0w30 is Dexos approved.

Yes Mobil 1 has the following dexos licensed weights:

0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W30, 5W20EP, 5W30EP

Mobil 1 has the bases covered.

In theory, the difference in lubricity would be negligible though. The 0W is just rated for pumpability at a lower temperature than the 5W.

Originally Posted By: stchman

True, GM does allow the user to use 0W30 in extreme cold temperatures.

Here is an excerpt form the owners manual.

Quote:

Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below 29°C(-20°F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures.

+1 0w30 in a 5w30 application if cold starts are expected, but wouldn't wait for -29°C, -5 to -10°C will do.

How is M1 0-30 a "thin oil" compared to other 30wt oils?

I was answering a general question about "better flowing oil" not necessarily 0w vs 5w . I think I might want a ow for a minus 30C startup - not that I would ever start a poor engine at miunus 30C, thank goodnesss! Id be inside my cabin cuddled up by the woodstove sipping Asam tea
smile.gif

Last edited:
Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w30 is the only commonly available ILSAC GF-5 0w30 in the US. It's an excellent oil and will serve your Silverado well. But (there's always a but), there is little reason to use it in St. Louis. The difference between AFE 0w30 and a good synthetic 5w30 like M1 or Pennzoil Platinum is negligible above freezing and very minor down to 0*F. It's only at very cold temperatures like -15*F and below where the 0w30 will show benefits.

I say this as a general advocate of 0w30. My father uses M1 AFE 0w30 in his Subaru which specs 5w30, with great results, but he lives in frigid Northern Minnesota, where the benefits of 0w30 are relevant.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w30 is the only commonly available ILSAC GF-5 0w30 in the US. It's an excellent oil and will serve your Silverado well. But (there's always a but), there is little reason to use it in St. Louis. The difference between AFE 0w30 and a good synthetic 5w30 like M1 or Pennzoil Platinum is negligible above freezing and very minor down to 0*F. It's only at very cold temperatures like -15*F and below where the 0w30 will show benefits.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back