Nissan VQ35 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my fellow Nissan owners that have the VQ35 what oil does your engine like?

Grambo

I'd love to opinionate, but I'm stuck on the VG33E.
The only common ground is the [censored] ignition system problems.
Nissans main weak spot.

But mine seems to like PYB.
Didn't like Mobil 1.
GTX was just Meh.
Gonna give PP or PU next time 'round.

Last edited:
My parents have two VQ35 cars: a G35 (VQ35DE) and an EX35 (VQ35HR). Both are not picky about the oil and have seen a diet of either Mobil 1 5w30 or Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 every 5k The G35 has about 90k on the clock, the EX35 has about 25k.

Previously they had an I30t (VQ30DE) and it also got the same Mobil 1 5w30 regimen every 5k.

If you are tracking the car, it's a different story. Some of the early VQ35HR motors were big oil drinkers too.

I'm not a Nissan owner- but there used to be a general consensus (and UOA's to back it up) that despite their overall wonderfulness the Nissan VQ and VG V6 engines (and in fact most Nissan engines) were really rough on oil for some reason, and the tendency of Nissan to use small capacity sumps made it worse.
I hate the search engine on this site and don't really want to fight with it to get examples, but if you're interested yourself I would recommend you search the UOA forum for Nissan oil analyses and ensuing discussions. Synthetics with high shear stability and high temperature tolerance (and low NOACK) would probably be a good place to start... and right now that set of requirements pretty much shouts "Pennzoil Ultra" if you want to stay with a common off-the-shelf oil.

My VQ3.0 likes 5W30 synthetic oil. Previous owner used dino oil and left a coat of golden varnish. I have used PU and M1EP to clean it. I am currently using Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 to keep the engine happy.

Last edited:
My 2010 Max has seen a steady diet of mostly PP and QSUD in 5W-30. Can't tell much difference between them. Only occasionally add a 1/4 qt during a 4-5K OCI.

I like Ultra 5W-30 in mine. Currently have M1 0W-40 in it. Trying to see if the thicker oil will cut some of the consumption.

I don't think it's all that picky. I didn't really like conventional NextGen in it though. It didn't "feel" right.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
My friend has a Nissan Altima SE-R (VQ35DE) and he uses Amsoil Signature about ever 2-4k miles

Not that it's any of my business, but that seems awful early.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
My friend has a Nissan Altima SE-R (VQ35DE) and he uses Amsoil Signature about ever 2-4k miles

Not that it's any of my business, but that seems awful early.

Yeah its a little crazy how early it gets changed. We did a UOA on Ultra 10w-30, which will be posted in the next day or so.

I have a stroked version in my truck, VQ40DE. I'm not entirely convinced that these engines are as hard on oil as people think. I'm wondering if it has more to do with the type of cars these are in and the way those cars are driven?

One of the best UOAs I've ever seen was a VQ40DE on dino. It looked wonderful at a crazy long OCI.

I haven't done UOA on my truck, but it's been fed a diet of various syns and dinos at 5,000 mile OCIs over the last 60,000 miles and its clean as new inside.

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
I have a stroked version in my truck, VQ40DE. I'm not entirely convinced that these engines are as hard on oil as people think. I'm wondering if it has more to do with the type of cars these are in and the way those cars are driven?

One of the best UOAs I've ever seen was a VQ40DE on dino. It looked wonderful at a crazy long OCI.

I haven't done UOA on my truck, but it's been fed a diet of various syns and dinos at 5,000 mile OCIs over the last 60,000 miles and its clean as new inside.

The VQ35 isn't too bad. A small percentage of VQ35HRs had oil consumption issues, but that was about it.

It's the VQ37VHR that is hard on the oil. I think Garak or one of the other long-time members posted UOAs showing how it absolutely annihilated most OTS synthetics.

The 3.5 in my mother-in-laws 2009 Murano has 117k on it and has used nothing but Castrol GTX since (just like my father) it is all my father-in-law uses too. It gets changed every 5k and usually only have to top off .5 quarts over the OCI. It looks clean in the fill hole as well.

It wasn't my UOA, but I have read them. I've got a PYB sample or two laying around for a UOA that I will get to one of these days for the sake of interest. Maybe I'll do the same as I work through my Delvac 1.

I've definitely seen some odd UOAs on these engines. Some guys have top end synthetics and drive like grandmothers, yet the oil is sheared like crazy. Others are driving normally and using something fairly basic, and the viscosity holds up. Of course, you go to the G37 forums, no one trends anything properly, so you can only get so much out of the UOAs.

Originally Posted By: Grambo

Grambo

Many VQ35s don't care what oil they burn.

From my own experience (check my sig...
wink.gif
),any good dino in a thick flavor will do just fine. My z feels firmer with a 40 weight and the FX35 does well on 5w-30 because of the wife's short trips.

Now consider your driving conditions, driving habits, climate and go from there. Most people will only need a good dino at 5k oci anyways.

Let us know what you choose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
Originally Posted By: Grambo

Grambo

Many VQ35s don't care what oil they burn.

Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back