best oil for short trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily driver is a 1997 Chevy K2500, 5.7 V8 with 195k miles. My daily driving routine contains 3-4 short trips. Sometimes only with 1-2 minute warm-ups in sub-zero temps and less than 1 mile of distance. I usually use Shell Formula 5w-30, but the last OCI it got Schaeffer 9000 5w-30. I'm looking to maximize protection along with trying to maintain longer warm up habits, but sometimes time is limited due to the type of work I do. So, weather it be oil recommendations or maybe even an additive that would help, any opinions are welcome.

IMO...a synthetic like M-1 0w30 would be a winner.....with and OCI of 5000K or one year. A Purolator Classic filter should work just fine.

Welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy all the great info available here. Not trying to be a smart aleck or anything here, but is there any way you could avoid driving at all at least on some days since you're going less than a mile? Could you bundle up and walk or use public transit? The kind of driving you're describing is a high wear situation for an engine because contaminants don't boil off as well since the engine doesn't warm up much. So the more you avoid driving those short trip miles, the less wear there will be on your engine (and the rest of the truck, for that matter). It looks like you're in WI so I know it's very cold now, but your vehicle will not get you very warm unless you run it at idle for 5 or 10 minutes before you drive. Not sure where you are in WI, so alternative transportation may not work for you if you're not in a city.

I would recommend you use some sort of synthetic for your application. I'm not familiar with Schaeffer from personal use, but their synthetic will probably work well. You might also consider Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Pennzoil Platinum, all of which get good reviews here on BITOG. The synthetic will flow faster and lubricate more quickly, which is what you want for an engine in a cold climate.

Your going to have tons of condensation/fuel from that short of run,change oil often with a cheaper name brand oil.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
IMO...a synthetic like M-1 0w30 would be a winner.....with and OCI of 5000K or one year. A Purolator Classic filter should work just fine.

OK, I'll bite. Do you have any evidence that said M1 oil or Purolater filter does better in short tripping that any cheapest oil or filter out there?

Disclosure: nothing against Mobil 1 or Purolator and using it myself.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Agree.

I used to have a mile commute to work and always short trips. I used Valvoline All Climate with either Napa or Fram filter and changed oil every 3 months because of the fuel and condensation build up in the oil pan. Never had an issue.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm amazed at how quick they came! I should add that the truck does get a proper warm up at the beginning and end of the day, with a longer trip at the end of the day. Usually a couple of miles, but mostly idling while picking up kids at different locations, stop lights and things of this nature. I appreciate the response about walking instead of driving, which I do sometimes in the summer, but getting called out of a warm bed at 2 A.M. and walking 8 or 9 tenths of a mile in -30 wind chill while also in a hurry is just not happening. I should have added that I cover an on-call situation once a month at work, and the shop is not far away. Even while hurrying I always try to let the truck run for at least 2 full minutes. I check the oil regularly for condensation, but never see any discoloration or moisture on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: daman
Your going to have tons of condensation/fuel from that short of run,change oil often with a cheaper name brand oil.

Sounds about right to me.
M1 0w-30 might be a little better, but it would be an expensive choice in this kind of use.
I doubt that this well-used Chevy would suffer from the use of a conventional 5W-30, just like GM recommended right up until they cooked up Dexos 1.
Frequent changes are advisable based upon likely moisture and fuel loading.
The OP could always consider a UOA just to see how things look after a few thousand miles of this kind of use.

Originally Posted By: BigD3800
Thanks for all the replies! I'm amazed at how quick they came! I should add that the truck does get a proper warm up at the beginning and end of the day, with a longer trip at the end of the day. Usually a couple of miles, but mostly idling while picking up kids at different locations, stop lights and things of this nature. I appreciate the response about walking instead of driving, which I do sometimes in the summer, but getting called out of a warm bed at 2 A.M. and walking 8 or 9 tenths of a mile in -30 wind chill while also in a hurry is just not happening. I should have added that I cover an on-call situation once a month at work, and the shop is not far away. Even while hurrying I always try to let the truck run for at least 2 full minutes. I check the oil regularly for condensation, but never see any discoloration or moisture on the dipstick.

Idling is good to get your heater goin but bad for oil. It causes it to get loaded with fuel.
If you could take a good 30 minute highway drive once a week it would help a lot!!!

PP 5w30/ Pureone filter changed every 6 months. Reason for PP is IIRC it's one of the thinnest 5w30. And the subzero runs with a Pureone because of the silicone anti-drain that should remain more pliable in those temp extremes.

P.S. nothing against M1. It probably will work super good.

Originally Posted By: BigD3800
My daily driving routine contains 3-4 short trips.

Since the oil does not have a chance to reach operating temperature, I would use the thinnest oil possible: 0W-20. Or 0w-30

Last edited:
0w oil's primary existence is for the stop-start nature of hybrid engines that shut off as low city speeds, and turn on for higher speeds.

By this very principle, 0w oil as mentioned is the best solution for short stop-and-go trips.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
5000K is too long, that is like 10 trips to the moon and back.

Not with a quality synthetic.....and an 0w30 oil.

0 w oils are the best for short trippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back