2009 Hyundai Santa Fe oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
the vehicle is our new to us 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L v-6 AWD, it has 46K miles on the odometer,

Im not sure what the owners manual says about the oil, we bought the vehicle used and it didn’t include this, but I googled and found this information: 5W-20 (5W-30) ILSAC GF-3

We live in Las Cruces, NM. The vehicle is my wife’s and she usually drives pretty slow, her daily commute is about 4 miles one way, and its all surface streets but the traffic is usually light. We don’t know if there were any problems with the vehicle as we just bought it, the carfax stated that it had only one dealer trip, but doesn’t say what. As far as my preferences: I would prefer a synthetic, buying online vs store is not really important, oil change interval 3K-5K miles

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

If it were me I would use a 5/30. If its synthetic you want Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, and Quakerstate Ultimate Durability are very good oils and the price is right if you buy from Wal-Mart.

Be sure to run a quality filter. Purolator, Bocsh, Wix, and Napa Gold are very good filters.

Pretty much any name brand synthetic will meet your needs and if you hang around a while you might deside to push the oil change interval out a bit.

If consistently short tripped as you describe, 5k OCI's on synthetic are very reasonable IMO.

I'd also opt for 5w20 as it was the primary spec I believe and again you're short tripping the vehicle badly.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w20 would be a good choice for your scenario IMO.

Thanks the warm welcome guys

Originally Posted By: fauxchemist
If you prefer Synthetic than do 7500 instead of 5K. Dont use a 30 grade if short tripping. NICE CAR by the way.

thanks we got a [censored] of a deal on it, unfortunately we had to buy it because some idiot ran a red light and totaled my wife's previous car right before Christmas.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

If it were me I would use a 5/30. If its synthetic you want Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, and Quakerstate Ultimate Durability are very good oils and the price is right if you buy from Wal-Mart.

Be sure to run a quality filter. Purolator, Bocsh, Wix, and Napa Gold are very good filters.

Pretty much any name brand synthetic will meet your needs and if you hang around a while you might deside to push the oil change interval out a bit.

thanks, I was planning on getting the stock hyundai filter, they are pretty cheap

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
If consistently short tripped as you describe, 5k OCI's on synthetic are very reasonable IMO.

I'd also opt for 5w20 as it was the primary spec I believe and again you're short tripping the vehicle badly.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w20 would be a good choice for your scenario IMO.

yea teh short tripping is the main reason I looked here. I was concerned that the oil wouldnt warm up

since its pretty cold/cool here in the mornings (even in summer), would it be bad to go with a 0W-30 or -20?

thanks again

A 0/30 would be a great idea with those low miles. It really helps with start up protection, which is where most of wear comes from. In that case I would lean more toward M1 AFE. Very respected oil and again you can get it at Wal-Mart for pretty cheap.

I owned a 2007 Santa Fe with the 3.3 liter engine and a 2010 Santa Fe. Live in southern Alabama near the Florida line and have long hot Summers. Used 5W20 synthetic. Have been retired for several years and make a lot of short trips. I go by the severe service schedule because of that and change the oil about every 4,000 miles.

Wife has a 2010 Hyundai Tucson and is under the same schedule for service. I now have a 2012 KIA Sorento with the 3.5 liter engine. They get 5W20 year around too.

No issues.

Had the 2007 Santa Fe in Wisconsin for my Aunt's 90th birthday. Mid February and it was -14 degrees One night. Vehicle sat outside and started with no problems.

If that were mine, i would Pennzoil Ultra 10w-30 (yes, it is specced for it) and change it every 7500 miles.

thanks for all the advice guys.

I read all of the Oil "classes" on the main page, and that is actually what made me think of 0W-30 for this car, especially since I dont know what the previous owner did to it or how they drove it.

So it seems like the majority here think a 5W-20 like the manual recommends is a good idea?

Stay with OE oil filters. I had start up knock with a wix cartridge filter on my 09 Santa Fe. Watch for oil leaks on the front valve cover. They leak on the alternator and destroy it. Keep the rear brake pads clean and lubed.

Forgot to mention use OEM Oil Filters as the above poster mentioned. 5W20 oil will serve you well.

Quaker State Synthetic 5W20 works great in ours and is sold in Wal-Mart in 5 quart jugs. Not for sure but think yours takes 5.5 quarts when doing an oil and filter change.

Check the owners manual.

yea I keep hearing about the OEM filter, I actually read a TSB for the filter in my Veloster

Thanks for the tip on the valve cover

nice to get feedback coming from owners of my exact vehicle

Originally Posted By: captainofiron
the vehicle is our new to us 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L v-6 AWD, it has 46K miles on the odometer,

First off, good job on scoring a Santa Fe. I know what my engine likes even though it's not the same engine as yours (mine is a SIGMA 3.5L engine) I can tell you I've had good luck with Pennzoil, Valvoline Max Life, and Valvoline Synthetic.

Oils it didn't like so much were from the Exxon/Mobil side of the equation.

i have the same 2009 santafe with the 3.3 great powerful motor i use 5/20 mobil.1 or quaker state runs good.right now i have orielys syn and a driveworks filter i do not notice any change with oil.great suv enjoy.

The 3.3L is a solid engine. 5w-20 works good in it, as does 5w-30. OEM filters, unless you can find the FRAM filters that are made in Korea or USA. 5K changes are great for your type of driving.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: captainofiron

First off, good job on scoring a Santa Fe. I know what my engine likes even though it's not the same engine as yours (mine is a SIGMA 3.5L engine) I can tell you I've had good luck with Pennzoil, Valvoline Max Life, and Valvoline Synthetic.

Oils it didn't like so much were from the Exxon/Mobil side of the equation.

Thanks my wife loves the Santa Fe. Ive never used Valvoline, thanks for the tip

Originally Posted By: ernied
i have the same 2009 santafe with the 3.3 great powerful motor i use 5/20 mobil.1 or quaker state runs good.right now i have orielys syn and a driveworks filter i do not notice any change with oil.great suv enjoy.

Thanks, orielys synthetic? its their private label?

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
The 3.3L is a solid engine. 5w-20 works good in it, as does 5w-30. OEM filters, unless you can find the FRAM filters that are made in Korea or USA. 5K changes are great for your type of driving.

thanks, I think I will go with the 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back