Had A 2009 Ford Explorer In The Shop Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
we had a 2009 ford explorer with 34,000 miles in the shop today with a ticking in the engine ford refused the warranty on the motor because the customer never ever changed the oil! this car had the original filter on it and the oil was like tar and black paint it smelled so bad that we had to put it in containers and take it to the collection center instead of dumping it into our collection tanks..The customer added oil when needed (he would have gas stations check it every so many fill ups) but never changed it. We pulled a valve cover and it was sludge city. We changed the oil and filter 5w20 mobil conventional with 1 quart of marvel and let it run for about 10 minutes oil was black already.but the tick was still there. I drove this car for about 30 miles or so and it seemed to quiet it down a little. We changed the oil again and used pu 5w20 and a new filter and told the customer to drive it for a couple of days and bring it back either way at no charge.. I should have pictures of the engine w/the valve cover off and i will take more after a few months (had to use my phone).. I agreed to do the oil changes for free so he will come back so maybe we will be able to see the cleaning progress. This was a really dirty engine but it was a tick and not a knock so maybe it can be saved. I should have kept some oil to send out but i did not. This is a beautiful explorer with all the options and the 4.6 the body shined and everything else was like new. Customer said there was no indication that it needed to be changed and said it is what it is!

does this model not have an OLM? or @least a mile counting idiot light? I know my dad's '05 Freestyle does...thought ford had 'em in all their "newer" vehicles...

but even if it does, every time you try and make something idiot proof, the universe makes a "better" idiot.....

My goodness, some people are just plain dumb! That was pretty kind of you to offer the free oil change. Don't forget to take some pics with the VC off.

Thanks!

The first OC of Mobil conventional 5W20 with 1 quart MMO for 30 minutes drive then another OC is good idea, but PU 5W20 on second OC for few days is very much a waste. I would use conventional with another quart MMO on second OC for few days, then another conventional with 1 quart MMO for few weeks on third OC, and gradually increase OCI until all the sludge is gone.

Thanks for the post Crazyoildude. I know that I will be interested to read the steps you have taken to clean up this engine and the pictures will give us all great view of your progress.

You've got a great heart to help this customer out. I'm sure that word will get around and you'll have more business. Not every shop would have the dedication to cleaning up a mess.

Cheers to you!

If it has the VCTs and is the 3v 4.6 you might have to sell that customer new VCTs and solenoids. Those engines do not like going for long distances on oil changes.

Also the dealer was within their right to refuse warranty. Most likely there is a warning posted so that whenever that vehicle goes to another dealer they will know that they went that long on factory fill.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The first OC of Mobil conventional 5W20 with 1 quart MMO for 30 minutes drive then another OC is good idea, but PU 5W20 on second OC for few days is very much a waste. I would use conventional with another quart MMO on second OC for few days, then another conventional with 1 quart MMO for few weeks on third OC, and gradually increase OCI until all the sludge is gone.

yeah, I'd probably stick for the time being w/PYB.. it's a couple bucks/qt cheaper than PU...( looked locally today, PYB $4.19/qt, PU $6.49/qt)or even QSGB, that was...$3.99/qt

"Never underestimate the resourcefulness of idiots."
- Anonymous

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
- Lazarus Long

Showed no indication of needing oi change????? Ahhh. Let's see adding oil to a practically new car means your car has a mechanical issue or of needs an oil change because you've gone way to long. Every car company should have a little display and when the car says it need an oil change it posts a little transparent picture on the windshield right in view saying . "Change the oil" and after 500 more miles it should post another message saying change the [censored] oil now you stupid [censored]!!! I really feel if they did that people would get the hint.
smile.gif

Dumb customer should have read his owners manual. Everyone knows that oil doesn't last forever. Heck there are quick oil change places on every corner.

Poor Explorer.
frown.gif
"it never gave an indication of needing to be changed." Exactly what kind of indication was he looking for? A rod flying out the side of the block? Ford absolutely did the right thing denying this warranty claim. Unfortunately, this moron will probably blame Ford for building a junk product and not standing behind it and will bad-mouth Ford for the rest of his life.

I have personally been involved in one where a customer drove thier expedition 36xxx thousand miles on the factory fill, threw a rod through the block. Ford did a goodwill engine replacement, customer told them they could fix it or have it repo it.

I just do not understand how someone can assume that a vehicle did not need an oil change unless they nave no knowledge of things mechanical.

I know people who grew up with parents who never touched a hammer or any other tools. They view cars like I do my toaster. It works or does not.

I think each generation gets worse in this regard as all mechanical or electronic items seem to get more complex. When it breaks just take it to be fixed or junk it.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
I have personally been involved in one where a customer drove thier expedition 36xxx thousand miles on the factory fill, threw a rod through the block. Ford did a goodwill engine replacement, customer told them they could fix it or have it repo it.

a) Tough AND stupid b) Stupid c) Proud and stupid d) all of the above

I would not waste $ on anything more than Supertec oil. Such a waste of PU!!

Add a pint of Kreen to 5 qts of oil, run it 100 miles, and repeat, changing a cheap filter each time.

MMO takes too long, anything more than cheap oil is a waste. Kreen deserves way more regard than it gets here. Its an incredible product.

Originally Posted By: Russell
I just do not understand how someone can assume that a vehicle did not need an oil change unless they nave no knowledge of things mechanical.

I know people who grew up with parents who never touched a hammer or any other tools. They view cars like I do my toaster. It works or does not.

I think each generation gets worse in this regard as all mechanical or electronic items seem to get more complex. When it breaks just take it to be fixed or junk it.
modern kids like to do everything without an effort. Press the button-done.
To OP, pictures would be nice to see. Oversize filters will be a good idea during clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back