thickest oil in 5w30 or 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! So I did another piston soak. Definetly the best one yet and probably the last for awhile I will be changing the oil tomorrow. Which oil should I use . I want an oil on the thicker side of the 5w30 or 10w30 scale. Maybe a 5w40 is a good idea? Whatever you guys recommend. I am currently using a quart of 5w30 with 1/2 quart motor honey at about 800 miles per quart little higher if no hwy drives and a little worse if I do mostly hwy. The motor honey seemed to make a big difference in how much oil it used on the hwy. Pretty impressed by it really. So let me know what yall think! Thanks guys

GC if it can be found check your Autozone
M1 HM might be a good choice also.

Last edited:
Motor Honey is going to thicken anything you put in there by nearly a whole grade, just put in regular 5w30 if you are going to spike it with some VI improver, or skip the motor honey and put in 10-40 or 5-40 that's basically what you had after adding 1/2 quart of motor honey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motor honey did nothing but dilute a perfectly good add pack in the oil. Just go thicker. Since you are saying the motor acts better with motor honey in it go up to a 5w-40. Try the rotella t-6. It will go 10000 mikes easy in a gas engine and if your engine is higher mileage it will slow oil burning. It also retains it's viscosity better than most 5w-40 gasoline oils and is pretty cost effective

Well I will say this. When I had 10w40 castrol gtx at any temp below 40 it would chatter on start up. But the motor honey and 5w30 hm Mobil super doesn't chatter. Not sure why it doesnt chatter with motor honey as thick as it is

So whats the German castrol look like I've never seen it . And why Is it thought of as better than the regular castrol

The low number represents the base oil and the high number the viscosity index improver additive.

So to answer the question the 10W-30 is thicker.

And straight SAE 30 is the thicker oil, not 0W-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Well I will say this. When I had 10w40 castrol gtx at any temp below 40 it would chatter on start up. But the motor honey and 5w30 hm Mobil super doesn't chatter. Not sure why it doesnt chatter with motor honey as thick as it is

That Mobil Super has titanium and is some good stuff. It solved my morning chatter and the thicker versions of it should give better results than GTX.

Last edited:
I agree with Clevy, not a big fan of 'additives'. I always recommend Lucas Oil Additive if the customer really wants something. What you really need to consider is the trade off, quite cold starts or excessive VII that eventually shear and can gum up piston rings and other vital engine parts.

Another option could be to find a filter with a good anti-drain back valve. Simply changing brands of filter can substantially reduce cold start engine noise.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
So whats the German castrol look like I've never seen it . And why Is it thought of as better than the regular castrol

German Castrol IS Castrol SynTec(made in
Germany) but, only comes in 0W30 grade. GC has some nicknames such as GC, SLX(IIRC, SLX was an older version labeled on the bottle). So, you'll have to look for the SynTec 0W30.

Why GC is/was considered better is that in 0W30 it's not Group III Synthetic(HydroCracked)dino motor oil, as are the other grades of SynTec, it is Group IV Synthetic motor oil which is considered my many to be "TRUE" synthetic. But, IDK if GC is a Group V(Ester) synthetic.

Also, it's this "HydroCracked" Group III synthetic oil made completely from conventional(dino)oil which is why(years ago) there was a Mobil vs Castrol law suit

Last edited:
In addition to my second paragraph...
I should have mentioned that Group IV synthetic oils are PAO...Poly-Alpha Olafins...Don't know if I spelled that right!
PAO's are designed in the LAB...I beleive!

Was it really a law suite or 'Arbitration'. I recall the latter with the outcome being that in the US (but not other countries) the term 'Synthetic' was redefined as quote ' A Marketing Term'.

I believe that Europe still may have stricter standards for using the term 'Synthetic'

I'm currently running Mobil Super 5000 10w-30 and my oil consumption is way down compared to other 10w-30's I've run and seems to be on a par or better than the 10w-40's I've run in the same vehicle.
My most recent 10w-30 got consumed at a rate of 1qt/1200 miles. So far MS5k is at 1600 miles and only down 1/2 qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back