Lexus 2002 ES 300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy Folks.......

I am REALLY glad that I joined this GREAT forum and the GREATEST web site.

I recently switched over from conventional 5W30 to Valvoline Full Synthetic after crossing 100000 miles mark (101206 to be exact)for my Lexus 2002 ES300.

After looking at the invoice from local NTB(National Tire & Battery. I have been doing all my oil changes here for past many years and I am happy with them). I noticed that they put in Valvoline 5W20 grade oil and used a rather cheap Pennzoil filter (I think it is PZ-21).

Here are the questions (Please note that there are no leaks and car drives fine - at least not yet.)

1) Is it advisable to use 5W30 and shall I switch to 5W30 or even better grade Valvoline Full synthetic (during next oil change) or stick with 5W20?

2) What filter do you recommend for this synthetic oil?

3) At what regular interval shall keep changing both oil and filter? I have heard many intervals - 7500 to 10000 miles to max. 1 year

Thanks a LOT.

Since you drive about 12k miles a year, if most trips are more than 10-15 miles then i would do oil change twice a year, one in Spring and one in Fall. You are in Texas, then you should use 5W30 in summer and 5W20 is okay for winter.

Welcome to the forum!

I am assuming you have the 1mz-fe V-6 in your Lexus; it is the same engine we have in our 2002 Avalon.

1. I would use a 5w-30 in this engine, not a 5w-20. These engines are hard on oil and the 30 weight is better suited-at least in my opinion.

2. In regard to the filter I would stick with a factory filter. Toyota/Lexus's filters are quite good; their anti drain back valve is constructed well from what I have read here on BITOG.

3. I would go no longer than 5000 miles on the oil in this engine. The 1MZ-FE, again, assuming this is the engine you have, it a known sludger. As such I would use a Pennzoil synthetic as they are good cleaning oils. We use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in our Avalon and it is very quiet and smooth with no sludge.

Lexus builds great vehicles and with regular maintenace, as it appears you perform, will last many miles.

The correct weight motor oil for your car is 5W-30.
It's spec'd in the owners manual and it's on the oil cap.
I have the same vehicle and it runs like new with 170K miles on it. The only weight I use is 5W-30.

Thanks a lot ...folks. I will INSIST on 5w30 full synthetic AFTER 7500 miles i.e. during next oil change.

I'd take it back now and insist that they change it on their dime. The oil cap indicated the recommended oil. They should not have put in a 5W-20 without your approval first. They messed it up, they should fix it.

For our '01 RX-300, I have tried on two ocassions(different years/winters), 2 qts of 5W20 along with 3 qts of 5W30 for winter time only and have gotten a bit of, well I'm not sure; lifter tapping or injector ticking. But, only when I did this. With 5W30, all is well. I think that I'll just stay with the 5W30.

I have also tried this in my '04 Altima 2.5 S(winter time) and I get a bit too much timing chain rattle during the first few minutes of driving as compared to just all 5W30. And most of us are aware of that chain rattle in some of Nissan's engines!
shocked.gif

But too, both of these vehicles were purchaced new and when the oil was spec'd for SL/GF-3. I have noticed differences for the better(especially in the Altima) with the SM/GF-4 and hoping it will only get better when using SN/GF-5. I'll find out when winter is here as the colder temp are when I can really hear the noises(which ever they may be). I do still have a bit of SM oils remaining but, most of the stash is the new SN

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
For our '01 RX-300, I have tried on two ocassions(different years/winters), 2 qts of 5W20 along with 3 qts of 5W30 for winter time only and have gotten a bit of, well I'm not sure; lifter tapping or injector ticking. But, only when I did this. With 5W30, all is well. I think that I'll just stay with the 5W30.
I have also tried this in my '04 Altima 2.5 S(winter time) and I get a bit too much timing chain rattle during the first few minutes of driving as compared to just all 5W30.

The oil one uses has nothing to do with injector ticking.

Timing chain rattle when the engine is cold can't be attributed to a generic 5W-20 grade's lighter viscosity since even the lightest 20wt oil you can use is thicker than necessary under such conditions.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have also tried this in my '04 Altima 2.5 S(winter time) and I get a bit too much timing chain rattle during the first few minutes of driving as compared to just all 5W30.

The oil one uses has nothing to do with injector ticking.

Timing chain rattle when the engine is cold can't be attributed to a generic 5W-20 grade's lighter viscosity since even the lightest 20wt oil you can use is thicker than necessary under such conditions.

Yes, I realize that the oil isn't causing the injector sounding noise so, it's possibly a lifter. I can only hear it from inside the car not from under the hood, as hard as I have tried to hear it from under the hood.

And the 5W20(VWB, GTX, PYB etc.) in the Altima, does make the timing chain rattle last longer while driving the first few miles after a cold startup(then it goes away) as compared to 5-10W30. I can't answer as to why but it does.

I did state that the sounds are getting lesser as time goes on...I'd have to go into more of an explaination on what I mean in detail. Not sure if it worth the time...I can only state what my ears are hearing during the winter months considering the oils that I use or have used!

The 5W-20 VWB, GTX, PYB etc all have similar chemistry.
I'd try something clearly different, such as the Toyota Brand 0W-20 which is way lighter on start-up and has a boatload of moly or the heavier Idemitsu USA made Subaru 0W-20 and Beck/Arnley 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The 5W-20 VWB, GTX, PYB etc all have similar chemistry.
I'd try something clearly different, such as the Toyota Brand 0W-20 which is way lighter on start-up and has a boatload of moly or the heavier Idemitsu USA made Subaru 0W-20 and Beck/Arnley 0W-20.

Yeah thanks but, I'll just stick with 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back