Need recommendation for 2011 Chevy Equinox,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new 2011 Chevy Equinox LT 1LT 2.4L. I need a recommendation for a good oil to put in my new DI engine once its time to change the factory fill. I believe I've read these new engines can trash oil. I know Ml is Dexos approved but I read on an Equinox forum that my engine will trash it according to a UOA posted over there. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
We currently have Amsoil XL 5W-30 and a Mobil1 oil filter in our 2011 Equinox 11K. Now that Mobil 1 E.P. is on the dexos list, I think I will use it next; Amsoil isn't on the list but it is API certified and formulated to dexos specs. At the time it was the only oil I could get that had anything on the label about dexos. They recommend dexos oil but the owners manual states that you can use any API 5W-30 oil if dexos is not available. Mobil 1 E.P. and a Mobil 1 filter would be my recommendation. And get the special socket; it does the job.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
New engines trash oil, I wouldnt read anything into oil shear or dilution on a engine during breakin.

It's not the newness, it's the DI factor that appears to be hurting longevity of oil.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
New engines trash oil, I wouldnt read anything into oil shear or dilution on a engine during breakin.

It's not the newness, it's the DI factor that appears to be hurting longevity of oil.
I've only read complaints from folks with DI whose engines are not yet broken in. Anyone with issues with over 20K miles?

GM has had it's problems with that 4 cylinder DI engine.

Noisy start ups and fuel in the oil.
Seems to be a fuel pump issue.

Keep an eye on the oil; smell for gas fumes.
Get to a dealer if you smell gasoline.

Your oil recommendation is in the owners manual. Your owner's manual also tells you how often to change it.

I recommend any major brand of oil.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
Your oil recommendation is in the owners manual. Your owner's manual also tells you how often to change it.

Actually, this vehicle has an oil life monitor which tells him how often to change it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Actually, this vehicle has an oil life monitor which tells him how often to change it.

I recommend not to use the OLM on this vehicle as it will give you a too-long oil change interval. The DI engines in these small SUV's cause a lot of fuel dilution.

As to what I recommend, Castrol 5w30 High Mileage, it starts off at 12.0 CST, that will help minimize the effects of the fuel dilution shearing.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_gtx_high_mileage_usa.pdf

Originally Posted By: Brons2

I recommend not to use the OLM on this vehicle as it will give you a too-long oil change interval. The DI engines in these small SUV's cause a lot of fuel dilution.

As to what I recommend, Castrol 5w30 High Mileage, it starts off at 12.0 CST, that will help minimize the effects of the fuel dilution shearing.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_gtx_high_mileage_usa.pdf

It was my understanding that GM recently recalibrated the OLM for the DI vehicles to reduce the interval.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

It was my understanding that GM recently recalibrated the OLM for the DI vehicles to reduce the interval.

Yes, they did.

Seems right about the OLM re-calibration.

I had posted some questions on OCI for our V6 Equinox here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...811#Post2255811

In that post I had mentioned going with a 3K first oil change but have since decided to increase that change to 4K miles. Mileage is currently at approx 3800 miles with the OLM indicating 20% oil life left. If I did the math right, that equals about 5K miles at 0% oil life. Our Accord on the other hand usually shows at least 40% oil life left when I change the oil at 4500-5000 miles. That range is my standard comfort level oil change for our vehicles and I have no brand loyalty beyond recommended BITOG oils
smile.gif

Anyway, I like the OLM set up for 5K mile changes in the Equinox, I think that is realistic for the application. My oils of choice are PP and Mobil 1 to ensure the Dexos spec, and I am going to do a UOA on that first factory oil fill. Although I enjoy the discussion/knowledge I think that a lot of the concern about current DI engines may be a bit over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back