Oil Questions For New New 2010 Hyundai Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All ,

New member here with just purchased 2010 Hyundai Elantra SE 2.0L Beta engine with less than 500 miles on it :

Back Ground :
Oil Cap says 5W 20 ; Manual lists 5W 30 and 10W 30 also can be used . 90% of driving will be stop and go city driving with 16 mile work commute each way . Add misc. miles running errands and that equals just under 12,000 pretty tough miles per year . North Georgia temps hit mid 90's in summer with lows in the teens ~ 20's during winter . Hyundai lists 7500 miles normal interval and 3750 miles as adverse interval .

Oils Considering (with Hyundai OEM Oil Filter):
PYB 5W 20 or 5W 30 OCI ?
MC Syn. Blend 5W 20 or 5W 30 OCI ?
PP 5W 20 or 5W 30 OCI ?
M1 5W 20 or 5W 30 OCI ?
*M1 0W 20, 0W 30 AFE OCI ?

Thanks in advance for suggestions on above oils as well as OCI's . Key for me is an oil that can take the heck getting beat out it (lots of up & down RPM's in 1st & 2nd gear) without shearing and causing sludge in DOHC 4 cylinder.

*Interesting to note that 2010 Hyundai Elantra manual says ZERO about 0W XX synthetic oils - are these oils a problem or cause to stay away from with Hyundai engines ?

Any good dino as you listed will do on 5-6k oci, time though would be my guide rather than miles as you say short trips. Asking a car dealer or co. for the most part has to be taken
34.gif
with alot of grains of salt whatever that means.
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Hi All ,

New member here with just purchased 2010 Hyundai Elantra SE 2.0L Beta engine with less than 500 miles on it :

Back Ground :
Oil Cap says 5W 20 ; Manual lists 5W 30 and 10W 30 also can be used . 90% of driving will be stop and go city driving with 16 mile work commute each way . Add misc. miles running errands and that equals just under 12,000 pretty tough miles per year . North Georgia temps hit mid 90's in summer with lows in the teens ~ 20's during winter . Hyundai lists 7500 miles normal interval and 3750 miles as adverse interval .

Oils Considering (with Hyundai OEM Oil Filter):
PYB 5W 20 or 5W 30 OCI ?
MC Syn. Blend 5W 20 or 5W 30 OCI ?
PP 5W 20 or 5W 30 OCI ?
M1 5W 20 or 5W 30 OCI ?
*M1 0W 20, 0W 30 AFE OCI ?

Thanks in advance for suggestions on above oils as well as OCI's . Key for me is an oil that can take the heck getting beat out it (lots of up & down RPM's in 1st & 2nd gear) without shearing and causing sludge in DOHC 4 cylinder.

*Interesting to note that 2010 Hyundai Elantra manual says ZERO about 0W XX synthetic oils - are these oils a problem or cause to stay away from with Hyundai engines ?

I have the same engine in my 2009 elantra touring.

You can basically use any 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 and not notice a difference.

you may pick up abit of mileage with 5w20.
run syn or not as you choose.

I ran , factory fill to 1k, 5w20 MC to 2k, PP 5w20 to 5k, edge 5w30 to 9500, PP 5w20>> in currently

Of course thats overkill but my average drive is 6miles one way and alot of road salt in the winter.
I do usually get it fully warmed up at least once a week with a 20-30mile run(each way)

These engines arent close to being new.. so they are pretty bulletproof.

If you want to run syn.. just find some good deals and run it.

for example the edge I have (15more qts) I paid about 1dollar a quart for.
the PP I paid 1.50 a quart for.
Also have some 5w20 ultra I did pay 25$ for but I wanted the free hat :)

Last edited:
Out of your list I would go for the PP in the 5W-30 flavor. Used that in my wife's Impala that gets short haul severe service, and all winter long too (cold and wet starts). I like the synthetic and 30 for the hot temps and cleaning properties. I'd probably do a short run on the factory fill to maybe 1000 miles, than another shortish run up to 5-6000, than a 5-6000/6 month regimen. If I went dino I would shorten to 3-4000 mile intervals.

Some here say Elantra 2.0L is smoother & quieter with 5W 30 - yet oils such as PYB 5W 20 , MC 5W 20 and PP 5W 20 appear to be more stable / sheer resistant than their 5W 30 counterparts . Any fans of M1 0W 20 or 0W 30 in the Elantra ? I will add I plan to run it until the wheels fall off so every bit of protection I can get from start up to work & back home is a bonus ! Lastly , I purposely wanted a end of model 2.0L Beta Elantra before the new 2011 1.6L Direct Injection engines come along which few know about . If Rand and others say the 2.0L Beta is bulletproof (with reasonable care) then that's what I want to hear.

I have a 2006 kia spectra with the same engine. I ran 5w30 until the last change ,tried 5w20 for this oci. What i have noticed, might be a little more noise on cold start up could also be my imagination, have noticed no change in mpg. Really if someone gave me the two to try back to back i would not know the difference. Also both oils where petro canada .

Last edited:
As OP noted earlier , the 2.0L Beta is not overly picky so any of the choices I listed earlier would appear to be good ( better if on sale ). *Still interested in the 0W 20 / 0W 30 oils in a Hyundai engine if start up wear is improved ? With the exception of the iron content showing up in UOA's ,the M1 0W 30 data is pretty impressive if can be had at a good price. Have not looked to see if PP 0W 20 is available at Wally World .

Gets hot - long summers here in southern Alabama. We have 2 Hyundai vehicles and use nothing but 5W20 Synthetic. Same went for the previous two we owned.

If you want to change the oil at 7,500+ use the syn and if you want to go 3,750 miles go with the dino [MC oil] studyup the uoas, dinos hold up well to 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

I am now thinking of running 3,000 mile oil changes with PYB 5W 20 or MC Syn. Blend 5W 20 with Hyndai OEM filter . Again , mostly red light to red light city driving . After 2nd oil change I'll draw a sample for Blackstone and see what they say then probably go to PP 5W 20 or M1 0W 30 (which ever is the better buy) then consider up to 5,000 mile OCI ...I don't think my driving conditions will hold up to a 7,500 OCI .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back