***? 5w20 in the Ford Ecoboost Turbo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMAGE LINK

This is the final engine bay of the 2010 Ford Taurus SHO. It has a 355 HP 3.5L directly injected turbo charged V6. The oil cap calls for 5w20.

Do you think that Ford just decided to throw the normal factory oil cap on there or do you think that they have engineered the engine well enough that it is easier on oil than the majority of turbo'd engines out there?

Maybe this will be the next "SLUDGER"!

I wonder how they did the EGR and PCV valve systems on this DI engine, is it going to have clogged intake valve passages like with the Audi's, or did they put in an EGR valve with cooler so only the EGR valve and plumbing will get clogged and have puking coolant like in the Ford trucks.
Might be the next subject for RLI lubes testing!

anyone else notice the spiral cell battery, with both side and top posts in image 49, but the regular ford OEM battery in image 19. also image 19 does not have the AC warning sticker.

Ah, the Taurust SHO. A key product showcasing Ford's knack for slapping a decent engine into a the [censored] vehicle available to them at the time.
5w20? Must be a crutch for some type of inherent design flaw. I bet if you use 10w30, the crank might walk or the freeze plugs might blow out.
smirk2.gif

I can't tell if that's 5w20 or 5w30 on the oil cap, and I have 20/20 vision.

2010_ford_taurus_049-0210-950x650.jpg

That engine pic is the same one shown by AutoBlog on Feb. 11 when the SHO was revealed to the media at the Chicago Auto Show. It's probably just a pre-production press photo and the actual oil recommendation may be different.

Originally Posted By: brian12

God that car is god awful ugly. It seems like the American manufacturers are trying to copy the japanese manufacturer's horrible styling.

The back is really ugly like most other domestics but nothing worse than the hyped about Malibu for example. The interior and the front though are very well done although I really don't care about that TAURUS written on the Speedo's face! So stupid, who came up with that distraction? It's not like the speedo is the most legible one around to begin with...

They've got to meet CAFE standards one way or another so they will throw 20wt in any engine they can.

I seriously doubt Ford would spec a 20 grade oil if they felt they would have problems. I'm sure they tested the engine, and are certain it will work properly on a 20 grade oil.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
nice looking car.

I agree, I don't think it looks too bad. Almost reminds me of a cross between the new Accord and the new Lancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back