By registering with the forum, you will be able to edit your member profile and preferences. You will get the most out of your time here if you change your profile and preferences to suit your individual tastes. There are many options in your profile to make your experience here more enjoyable, so please take a few moments to try the various settings. Also, only users that are registered and logged in can take advantage of the "New Posts" feature upon each visit. Once you've registered and logged in, click "Edit Profile" or "Edit Preference" in the Forum Navigation island to edit your settings.
The Email Address field is used for email notifications, forum subscriptions and to email your password. The Public Email Address field is what other users see when they view your profile. We realize that you may not want everyone to know your real email address, but we need to know it in case you want to subscribe to a forum or if you want to have replies emailed to you. For this reason you can give us your real email address in the Email Address field and only the Administrators of the board will see it. You can provide a different email address for the general public using the Public Email Address. Some people like to put in something like email@example.com. This way people can still figure out what your real email address is, but spamming agents can't just parse through the page and obtain your email address to spam you.
Yes. Cookies are used to remember your login information as well as what posts you have read during your current session. Without accepting cookies some functions won't work properly.
If you have registered with these forums, you must log in to take advantage of the personalization of settings. To log in, look in the upper right-hand corner of your screen for the "Log In" link. This link will take you to a page where you can enter your Username (email address) and Password. Keep in mind that the password is always case-sensitive. This means that the software considers "S" and "s" to be different characters.
Once you have entered your Username (email address) and Password, you'll be brought to your Starting View. (You can change the page used for your Default Starting View by clicking "Edit Preferences" in the Forum Navigation island.) If you have any Private Messages waiting for you, you'll see a flashing envelope on the My Messages island. (Note that this only applies if the Private Messaging feature has been enabled by the Administrators of the board.)
This checklist may help you successfully log in:
1) Make sure you are entering your password correctly. Passwords are case-sensitive.
2) Ensure that your browser supports cookies; if so, check the security level you are using. High levels of security restriction in certain browsers will automatically reject cookies. In order to use the key features of these forums, you'll need to accept cookies. The maker of your browser can help you with additional problems you may have with your cookie settings.
3) Completely log out by hitting the Log Out link in the upper right-hand corner of the page, and then log back in again.
4) After logging in, you may have to hit the Reload or Refresh button on your browser to expedite the authentication.
5) If these steps don't work you can try purging your cookies for this site using the My Cookies
6) If you continue to have problems, go to the Log In page and click "Have you forgotten your login information?". Enter your real email address into the Email Address field and a temporary password will be emailed to the email address used for the account setup.
It's a system-generated User Title to give ranking to your postcount. You will progress through the various levels according to the cumulative number of posts you have made.
Everyone has a title within the forum. You will notice the title below the Display Name in each post. Some titles are automatically assigned based on the number of posts a user has made, and some titles are assigned by the forum owner to denote official representatives of the company or other VIPs in the forums.
If you have forgotten your password, dont worry! You can very easily have a temporary password emailed to you. Go to the Log In page and click "Have you forgotten your login information?". Enter your real email address into the Email Address field and a temporary password will be emailed to the email address used for the account setup.
This process is safe because the password is only emailed to the original owner of the account. There is no way to steal the password by using this feature.
You may change your password any time. On the Forum Navigation island, click "Edit Profile". Edit the Password and Verify Password fields and then click "Submit" to save the information. (Keep in mind that passwords are case-sensitive.)
In order to add an image to your message or your signature, you must have the image already available on a web server and reachable by a URL. This can be an image on your own personal web page, for example. To place an image within a message, simply use the following Markup Tag:
For example, if you have an image called cateye.gif and its available from your own website at http://www.mywebsite.com/pics, then you would use the following image markup:
You can do the same for your signature. Click the My Home option found on any page. Then, under the Main Configuration heading, click on "Personal Information, email, password...". Look for the Signature box, and enter your desired information, including any images/markup as above.
Note: To keep the forums loading quickly for everyone, it is recommended that you do not exceed 35k for your image size.
We ask that you keep your images relatively small. As a rule, please do not exceed 600 x 125 pixels and/or 35k for a signature image. This will ensure that the forums load quickly for all users.
1. Anyone who submits a registration is an applicant. Applicants may be accepted for membership after their registration is reviewed by the owner or his designated agent. No person may become a member unless he or she agrees to abide by these rules. Any member who does not agree to abide by these rules may have his or her membership terminated without notice by the owner in his sole discretion. No applicant has any right to membership, and whether or not to accept a new member shall be determined by the owner in his sole discretion.
2. This forum is open to the public, and any person who agrees to abide by these rules is welcome to become a member. The forum is the private property of its owner, and no member shall have or gain any ownership interest in the forum as a result of becoming a member. All decisions regarding the membership and operation of this forum shall rest in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents.
3. These rules may be changed any time that the owner deems it necessary to do so. The owner's decision to change the rules shall be at his sole discretion and is not subject to any form of outside review. The owner will make a reasonable effort to ensure that rule changes are posted in a timely fashion, however, the owner may enforce any rule, even if it has not yet been posted on the forum. Each member is responsible for informing himself or herself of these rules and any changes to them. Members are strongly encouraged to review the rules periodically, as ignorance of these rules, or any changes to them, shall not be an acceptable reason for violating them.
4. The general intent of these rules is to allow the owner and his designated agents to ensure that this forum remains a legal, healthy, and pleasant place in which members may freely exchange their ideas, within the bounds established in these rules.
5. Each member agrees that he or she shall not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of any person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Whether or not a member violates this rule, and whether he or she should have their membership suspended or terminated as a result, shall be decided in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. By accepting membership in this forum, members specifically agree that they shall not have any right to have the owner's decision under this rule reviewed in any way outside this forum.
6. Members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by the member, or the member has the explicit consent of the copyright holder. If the forum owner, or his designated agents, believe that material posted in this forum may be in violation of this rule, they may immediately remove such material, with no notice, and then require the responsible member to show documentation sufficient to establish whether or not the material was properly posted. After reviewing the situation, the decision of whether to re-post, or to allow the re-posting of material removed from the forum under this rule, shall rest in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. By accepting membership in this forum, members agree to be completely responsible for any copyright violations and to hold this forum, and its owner, harmless for any damages that may result from a copyright violation.
7. Members agree that the use of this forum to further the propagation of spam in any way, to flood, to advertise without permission, to participate in chain letters or pyramid schemes, or to otherwise solicit without permission, is absolutely prohibited. Members are cautioned that engaging in any of the described behavior shall be grounds for immediate suspension or termination of membership. Whether or not a member violates this rule, and whether he or she should have their membership suspended or terminated as a result, shall be decided in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. By accepting membership in this forum, members specifically agree that they shall not have any right to have the owner's decision under this rule reviewed in any way outside this forum.
8. Members agree that, except with the owner's prior consent, they shall not solicit or promote any products services or other sites by posting direct links to any sales pages of any products in this forum. Discussions of any products are allowed and encouraged, and links to Technical Data or MSDSs are allowed, provided that it follows the topic discussed. Members agree not to self-promote (either in postings or in member profiles or in user names) for personal or business gain within the message board unless previously approved by the owner or his designated agents. Members agree that they shall not use information supplied within the message board to solicit or promote any products or services via email or any other method. Members further agree to not gather public email addresses from member profiles for the purposes of spamming or soliciting members in any other way. Members agree to not promote or link to other forums that provide message boards or chats. Any posts uploaded to this forum become an integral part of it, and upon posting, become the property of the owner.
9. Members acknowledge and agree to all of the following:
A. that it is impossible for the owner and his designated agents to confirm the validity or accuracy of posts on this forum.
B. that the owner and his designated agents do not actively monitor all posted messages and shall not be responsible for their content.
C. that the owner and his designated agents do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, usefulness, or safety of any information presented.
D. that it is possible that the use of some information posted may expose persons to injury or damage property, if used improperly, unreasonably, or without adequate care. In exchange for the privilege of participating in this forum, members agree that they alone shall be responsible for any injury or damage resulting from the use of unreliable information that may have been posted in this forum, and members waive any claim that they might otherwise assert against this forum, its owner, or his designated agents.
E. that the messages posted in this forum express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of this forum. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable, or in any way violates these rules, is requested and encouraged to notify an administrator of this forum immediately.
F. that the owner or his designated agents have the absolute right to remove objectionable content, at any time, if they determine that removal is necessary, appropriate, or otherwise in the best interest of the forum. The owner's and designated agents' decisions under this rule shall be made in their sole discretion, and shall not be subject to any form of review outside this forum. The owner will make a reasonable effort to ensure that materials that should be removed from the forum are removed in a timely fashion. Members assistance in this regard will be sincerely appreciated.
G. that each member shall be responsible for the content of the messages they post in this forum. In exchange for the privilege of participating in this forum, members agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, its owner, and any designated agents, from any and all claims, in any way related to the operation of this forum. This provision shall apply both to claims by a member against the forum, its owner, or designated agents; and to claims of any other person or entity allegedly harmed in any way by a member's posting of any information or material in this forum. Members agree that their participation in this forum shall signal their acceptance of these provisions.
H. that this forum reserves the right to reveal any member's identity (or any information stored at the forum) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by the member. Members agree that it is the legal obligation of this forum, its owner, and his designated agents, to follow the law and comply with any form of process requiring the production of information about the forum or its members.
I. that with each posting, a member's IP address is recorded, and that in the event of a violation of these rules, or any applicable law, the owner, or his designated agents, may contact your ISP or any law enforcement agency and reveal the recorded information, if it is deemed appropriate to do so.
10. This forum will not sell or give member information to anyone for any kind of mailing or solicitation and members have the option to not disclose their email addresses to other forum members. Members must, however, maintain a correct email addresses on file with the forum at all times, so that if the owner or a designated agent needs to contact the member, they may. If attempts to contact you do not work, then the forum, its owner, or his designated agents shall have the right and will suspend your profile, without any further notice, until the member responds in what the owner deems to be an appropriate fashion.
11. Upon registration, members may select their username. Members are advised to choose wisely and select a name that is appropriate by broadly accepted standards. Whether or not a selected username is appropriate and may be used shall be determined in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. Members agree that a decision to reject or disallow the use of a member's chosen username is absolutely final, and shall not be subject to any form of review outside this forum. User names that contain any form of a domain name, company name, or product name will not be approved.
12. Upon registration, members must also select a password. Members shall never give their password to another member, or to any other person. Members shall be held strictly responsible for any rules violations perpetrated by any other person using that member's account and password. Members agree that they shall never use another member's account to post messages or browse in this forum.
13. Upon registration, members will be asked to complete a detailed profile. Some responses are mandatory, and others are optional. Any information submitted, whether mandatory or optional, shall be accurate and appropriate. Any information which the owner or his designated agents deem inaccurate, vulgar, obscene, or otherwise unacceptable, will be removed without notice, and the member will be suspended from posting until the owner is satisfied that the member will abide by these rules in the future. Whether or not a member violates this rule, and whether he or she should have their membership suspended as a result, shall be decided in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. By accepting membership in this forum, members specifically agree that they shall not have any right to have the owner's decision under this rule reviewed in any way outside this forum.
14. Members agree that they have gain no vested, legally enforceable rights or expectations by joining this forum. By accepting membership, members agree that they waive any and all claims that they may have against the forum, its owner, or his designated agents, for any cause of action arising from or related to the operation of this forum. If a member has a complaint or concern about forum operation, or any decisions of the owner or his designated agents, they may be submitted to the owner or a designated agent for consideration. Any such submissions should be made by email, should state clearly the nature of the complaint or concern, and the proposed response. All such submissions will receive fair consideration, but the owner's decisions are final and shall not be subject to any form of review outside this forum.
15. The intent of these rules is to reserve to the owner and his designated agents, the maximum authority to operate this forum so that it will remain a useful and positive resource for anyone who cares to become a member and participate. Any member who violates these rules shall be subject to have his or her membership terminated in the owner's sole discretion. Whether or not a member has violated any of these rules, and whether his or her membership should be terminated as a result, shall be decided in the sole discretion of the owner. By accepting membership in this forum, members specifically agree that they shall not have any right to have the owner's decision under this rule reviewed in any way outside this forum. Members agree that any such right deemed not extinguished by this rule, are irrevocably waived.
Yes, you'll be missing a trick if you fail to take advantage of the versatility offered. There are many aspects of how the Forums are displayed that may be customized. On the Forum Navigation island, click "Edit Preferences".
You can choose the stylesheet in which you wish to view the forums, how many posts are displayed on each page, whether or not you want to view users' pictures alongside their posts, and much more. Once saved, these become your default settings. You may edit these preferences again at anytime.
The first post of a given topic establishes the subject by which all subsequent replies will be known. Once there's been a reply, the topic subject cannot be subsequently changed. It's therefore important to get the subject right from the outset.
Make it as descriptive and as specific as possible. For example, "LCD burn-in questions", is much better than something completely generic, such as "Newbie needs help!". Not only is it more likely to elicit a response, but it'll also make it much easier for all posts in the topic to be subsequently located.
One of the key benefits of the discussion board format is that it enables commonly asked questions to be answered once, for the benefit of all. Before posting your question, it is always worth checking to see if it has already been asked - and answered! You can do this via the Search island. Using the Search island, you can perform a quick keyword search, or click on the "Advanced" button to search by more specific criteria. Various options are available, both for how the search term is specified and for controlling how many forums you want to search. This is where the specificity of topic subjects is important, making it much easier to locate precisely what it is you're after from a list of search results.
It means that you have unread Private Messages. When you hover over this image it should display how many unread Private Messages that you have.
On the "New Private Topic" screen, you can type in a new user then press "add" or you can select them from the "My Buddies" dropdown. You can add up to the forum maximum of users (this limit will show on the "New Private Topic" screen) to the Private Topic.
If the tags are showing up in your text or you're getting a link, but it's to "http:///", you're including some unwanted spaces in the syntax. Avoid any intervening spaces, and everything will work fine.
Users can edit their own posts up to 15 minutes after they are made. Where the change is substantial, it is courteous mark the post as edited so as to alert readers to the changed content. For cosmetic changes, it's better not to do so.
Let the forum Administrator or Moderator know - he/she will be able to move it for you.
There are 2 ways that this can be configured on a per-forum basis. If HTML is On then you will see HTML is On and you can use normal HTML in your posts. If UBBCode is on you will see UBBCode is On. The following tags are available for your use if UBBCode is enabled:
= Makes the given text bold.
= Makes the given email address clickable.
= Makes the given text italic.
= Underlines the given text.
= Surrounds the given text with pre tags.
= Surrounds the given text with blockquote and hr's. This UBBCode tag is used for quoting a reply.
[/url] = Makes the given url into a link.
[/url] = Makes the given title into a hyperlink pointing to link.
[/list] = Makes a bullet list. [list=A] or [list=1] will make order/numbered lists.
= Makes the given text red.
= Makes the given text green.
The following tags are available for your use if UBBCode is enabled:
[b]text[/b]= Makes the given text bold.
[i]text[/i] = Makes the given text italic.
[u]text[/u]= Underlines the given text.
[s]text[/s]= Will post your text with a line through it (strike through).
[color:red]text[/color]= Makes the given text red.
[color:#00FF00]text[/color]= Makes the given text green. [size:20pt]text[/size] = Will change the size of the text to whatever size value you specify.
[font:Comic Sans MS]text[/font]= Will post your text with the specified font.
[email]firstname.lastname@example.org[/email]= Makes the given email address clickable.
[email@example.com span class="standouttext"> ]text[/email]= Makes the given email address clickable.
[url]link[/url]= Makes the given url into a link.
[url=link]title[/url]= Makes the given title into a hyperlink pointing to link.
[img]link[/img]= Embeds an image.
Code Tags & Highlighting
[code]text[/code]= Surrounds the given text with pre format tags.
[php]text[/php]= Passes the text through the PHP Syntax Highlighter
[highlight]text[/highlight]= Will highlight your text.
[spoiler]text[/spoiler]= Will wrap your text in a spoiler container. Users must click a button in order to see this text, thus giving them the ability to specify if they want to read the item.
[spoiler:warning]text [/spoiler]= Will wrap your text in a spoiler container and allow you to specify the warning message displayed. Users must click a button in order to see this text, thus giving them the ability to specify if they want to read the item.
Text and Image Alignment
[align:left|center|right]text[/align]= Will align the text in the direction defined.
[img:left|center|right]Image URL[/img]= Will allow you to allow text to wrap on the specified side of your image.
[/list] = Makes a bullet list. [list=A] or [list=1] will make order/numbered lists. Other options include: circle, i, I, a, A, 1, disc, square.
[quote] text [/quote] = Surrounds the given text with blockquote and hr's. This UBBCode tag is used for quoting a reply.
[quote=username] text [/quote] = Surrounds the given text with blockquote and hr's. This UBBCode tag is used for quoting a reply. The username specified will be shown as quoted.
Putting a poll in your post is simple.
If polls are enabled, start by creating a new post in a forum. Below the body of your post, you will see a text box that allows you to specify how many polls you want to have in your post and the system will guide you through the rest.
You can change the number of posts displayed on each page by editing your display preferences. You can set this to anything between 1 and 99 posts per page. By default, this is set to 15 posts per page.
Quick Reply is made as a "Quick Response" block, so you can make a response to a post (or thread) before you forget or as you read them. Quick Reply is meant as a "no thrills" response box, as it's just there for a fast/non-formatted response.
Reply however brings you to a "Full Response" page that allows for heavy posting.
You can also click the "Full Reply" button from the Quick Reply box which will forward you (and all of your Quick Reply text) to the Full Reply page.
Quote will quote the users text to the Full Reply page. Quick Quote will quote the users text to the Quick Reply box below the thread.
Click the "My Profile" link from the "My Stuff" dropdown on the Forum Navigation island.
Using Gallery Forums are just like using any other forums... However, you can post images too!
After you create your post (subject and post, both required) you can click on the "Image Manager" link.
Adding images are as easy as:
1. Click "Browse" and a navigation area will appear that shows your computers files, navigate around to locate the image you'd like to upload. Once located, click on the image and select "open"; you can also choose to add a description (note that in v7.2 you do not have the option to change the description once another image is added).
2. If you wish to add another image, repeat step one; otherwise, select "done".
From here, just press submit, and your new "Gallery Posting" should appear for users to comment on your image(s).
Watching a Forum
Enter the Forum and Select "Add Forum to Watched Forums" from the "Forum Options" dropdown.
Watching a Topic
Enter the Topic and Select "Add Topic to your Watched Topics" option from the "Topic Options" dropdown.
Managing Watch Lists
Select "My Watch Lists" from the "My Stuff" dropdown, from here you can select the type of Watch List that you wish to edit and by clicking the "Edit Watched Topics" (or "Edit Watched Forums" or "Edit Watched Users") link you can remove them or toggle the "Email Notification" option.
Toggling EMailed Watch Lists
See the above "Managing Watch Lists" directions.
Toggling the Default "EMail Watchedlist" Options
Select "My Preferences" from the "My Stuff" dropdown. From here you can manage the "By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?" option.
EMailing a Post or Thread
To email a post, simply navigate to the post and select "email post" from the bottom set of buttons (near reply, quote, notify, etc).
From this "email post" screen, you can select to mail yourself:
Just this post
This post and all replies
The entire thread
EMailing a Private Topic
When viewing a Private Message, simply click the "EMail Topic" button from the bottom set of buttons (near reply, quote, etc).
RSS Feeds for Forums
For forums which have an RSS Feed configured for them, you can enter the forum and select the feed link from the "Forum Options" dropdown.
If the administration has enabled the "My Feeds" option, you can manage RSS feeds from the "Feeds" link in the "My Stuff" dropdown in the navigation area.
From the My Feeds area you can see all of the RSS Feeds available to you, including all of the forums which have individual feeds. You will also be able to retrieve the fees for your inbox and the global feeds for recent topics. Please note that these may or may not be available based on admin preferences.
The username colors generally specify a users status. Some select users can can also have special colors signified by the Administration.
The default user status colors are:
Search Engine Robot
The numbers in parenthesise indicate how many new topics (or posts) have been made since your last visit to the forums.