Oil for Bentley GTC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very hard to pick one car though I could narrow it down to the Maybach 57s and the Ferrari Maranello 575. It would be difficult to pick between them if I had to pick one and keep only that one car from now on.

It does seem that Amsoil is better than it used to be. I think I would now use it before going back to Mobil 1.

aehaas

I'm sure you'll make a good choice for which oil to use on such a nice car.

One question though. Which high end cars do you find it nicest to work on. I do my own repairs too and have found that Subaru does a pretty good job of thinking about how something is going to be serviced. A lot of other companies don't think about it at all and it shows.

It isn't often that one gets to discuss how to service the high end cars. Maybe some day I'll get the opportunity too. Thanks for posting (I rather read about this than 'What oil should I use in my Aerostar', posts).

You have great taste in cars. I prefer the Bentley models over the Rolls anyday. That Bentley is much nicer looking than the Rolls drop top counterpart, too!!

Quote:

You have great taste in cars. I prefer the Bentley models over the Rolls anyday. That Bentley is much nicer looking than the Rolls drop top counterpart, too!!

Unlike it used to be prior to 2002, Rolls-Royce and Bentley are entirely different cars now. They used to be the same car with different badges and radiators. How'd that happen?

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

In 1998, owners Vickers decided to sell Rolls-Royce Motors. The most likely buyer was BMW, who already supplied engines and other components for Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars, but BMW's final offer of £340m was beaten by Volkswagen's £430m.

However Rolls-Royce plc, the aero-engine maker, decided it would license certain essential trademarks (the Rolls-Royce name and logo) not to VW but to BMW, with whom it had recently had joint business ventures. VW had bought rights to the "Spirit of Ecstasy" hood ornament and the shape of the radiator grille, but it lacked rights to the Rolls-Royce name necessary to build the cars. Likewise, BMW lacked rights to the grille and mascot. BMW bought an option on the trademarks, licensing the name and "RR" logo for £40m, a deal that many commentators thought was a bargain for possibly the most valuable property in the deal. VW claimed that it had only really wanted Bentley anyway.

BMW and VW arrived at a solution. From 1998 to 2002 BMW would continue to supply engines for the cars and would allow use of the names, but this would cease on January 1, 2003. On that date, only BMW would be able to name cars "Rolls-Royce", and VW's former Rolls-Royce/Bentley division would build only cars called "Bentley". Rolls Royce's convertible, the Corniche, ceased production in 2002.

Did you follow that? The Rolls-Royce name wasn't the property of the company that VW purchased.
shocked.gif
It was used under license from Rolls-Royce PLC (the jet engine maker) and the license was not part of the sale to VW. This was a monumental blunder, IMO, on VW's part. BMW, who already had a friendly relationship with RR PLC, picked up the name for 1/10th what VW paid for the manufacturing facility at Crewe. This put BMW in the position of having to create a car company from scratch to go with the Rolls-Royce name. To their credit they employed British designers and engineers to create the new Rolls and some believe that the car they created perfectly captures the essence of what Rolls-Royce cars have always been.

The Enzo has the most space to work. Everything is easy to get to and replace. The car is fully modular. The car has the minimal number of parts. No cup holder, no power windows, no arm rests, no radio and the dash is mostly holes. You can see the entire steering column from any position.

The oil is easiest to change on the Maybach. You hook up a vacuum to the dipstick tube and suck out the oil. The oil filter is next to the oil fill site on the valve cover. You do not need to get under the car.

The air filter is easy to change on the Expedition but the oil is always a mess.

'Not sure about the Bentley but it is going to be tight and the car has to go up to get to things.

aehaas

I think that is awesome that you say the Enzo has the most space. I guess it make sense since it is all driveline and suspension. Still very cool.

Quote:

The oil is easiest to change on the Maybach. You hook up a vacuum to the dipstick tube and suck out the oil. The oil filter is next to the oil fill site on the valve cover. You do not need to get under the car.

Is that the prescribed procedure or just the way you do it?

VW's ownership of Bentley has produced delicious cars while BMW's handling of Rolls-Royce has produced ugly monsters.

My garage looks a lot like yours except the cars in it aren't quite so high end
smile.gif
. I hadn't thought of using a metal lathe as a stand for a painting though, very creative!

Dr. Haas, have you every thought about buying an older exotic and fixing it up. In the 70's I owned a business that built race cars and refreshed cars and engines for racing programs. We had all the latest technology and several good programs going. To fill time between racing programs I bought older exotics and we restored them. It was exciting to drive these cars and everyone loved working on them. One of my favorites was a 63 Lusso that I purchased for $1000 and restored with the guidance and help of the factory. I liked it so much that I kept it and drove it for 5 years. With your appreciation for cars I'm sure that you could find a gem, polish it up and have the time of your life. The first day that I drove my restored Lusso for a trip around the block my wife and I ended up at a B&B 200 miles away with a call back to the shop that I'd be taking a long week end. I remember the trip well.

Quote:

I always plan to keep each car forever and treat them as such.

aehaas

Sorry, but I just can't resist pointing out that if, perhaps, you actually let go of an older one when you got a new one, then perhaps you wouldn't need such a humongous garage. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

what Dr. Haas has done is expose the forum members to the engine technology advances all coming out of Europe. Hopefully, American and Japanese manufacturers will pick up and run with these new frontier improvements to performance and efficiency.

EU has always held the lead in top line interiors

I would stick with the manuf.'s recommended oil while on warranty just to make any warranty issues easier to resolve, good attorneys are so expensive today

Quote:

Dr. Haas, have you every thought about buying an older exotic and fixing it up. In the 70's I owned a business that built race cars and refreshed cars and engines for racing programs. We had all the latest technology and several good programs going. To fill time between racing programs I bought older exotics and we restored them. It was exciting to drive these cars and everyone loved working on them. One of my favorites was a 63 Lusso that I purchased for $1000 and restored with the guidance and help of the factory. I liked it so much that I kept it and drove it for 5 years. With your appreciation for cars I'm sure that you could find a gem, polish it up and have the time of your life. The first day that I drove my restored Lusso for a trip around the block my wife and I ended up at a B&B 200 miles away with a call back to the shop that I'd be taking a long week end. I remember the trip well.

Man, I love reading posts like this.
thumbsup.gif

I have helped others on restoration and have considered it for myself. Most recently I looked at a Lamborghini Countach but also some pre-war classics as well. The trouble is that a whole 'nother garage setup is needed. I would welcome the use of my old Binks sprayer and some lacquer.

aehaas

"Sorry, but I just can't resist pointing out that if, perhaps, you actually let go of an older one when you got a new one, then perhaps you wouldn't need such a humongous garage. . ."

Each vehicle has its own purpose:

Enzo: Raw Formula-like driving. You have to pay 100 percent attention. No radio, plenty of road noise and feel. You are driving a race car. It is exhilarating but you have to be in the mood and wide-eyed awake.

Maybach: Quiet, elegant muscle car, the sleeper, there when you need it. This is for going out to dinner with the Jones's. I do love to step on it when I am the first guy at a red light. This is the traveler's car.

Murcielago: 'One of my wife's favorite cars ever. It goes, it is simple and has some rumble but is not noisy. You can drive across the state just for the fun of it. Or you can drive it to work for the fun of it.

Bentley GTC: I like the construction but I do not do convertibles. It is strictly the wife's desire to have a drop top that is solid, fast and beautiful.

Expedition: This is most often, but not always, used to go to Home Depot, Lowes and the like. For smaller things I actually like to go in one of the yellow cars.

aehaas

Quote:

Quote:

Maybach: Quiet, elegant muscle car, the sleeper, there when you need it. This is for going out to dinner with the Jones's.

Dr., on your block, you are the Jones's!
ooo.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My thoughts, exactly. If the Maybach is only keeping up with the Joneses, then I wonder what is in the Joneses' garage next door?

Out here in Flyover Country, these cars aren't just exotic, they might as well be from another solar system. I work with a couple of clients who are serious car guys who could afford these kinds of cars, but are afraid of possible servicing hassles. I don't know where the closest Ferrari/Maybach/Bentley retailer is, but I'm guessing it is a few hundred miles away. This isn't a good situation if it broke down. Let's say you are driving one of these out in the country somewhere and it won't run for whatever reason, will they send out a technician with a part or a flat bed tow truck to haul it back?

A man that owns a local Honda dealership (and a few other things) has a Ferrari. But I think he just keeps it down in Florida near a track. If he was rolling around town in it, I think I would have noticed.

Love the color and interior workmanship of that Bentley.

I believe that todays cars are all reliable. There is little reason to leave you stranded. As long as routine maintenance items are performed ahead of schedule then aside from a flat tire you should not break down. In most cases the only thing to do is change fluids, tires, batteries and brakes. If you drive as I do then you only need fluids, tires and batteries. I am assuming the cars are used and are not Garage Queens.

Spark plugs should be changed per mileage or every 4 years. Yes, plugs are on a time schedule as well. Air cleaners are changed by me every 2 - 3 years or about 1/2 the mileage they generally suggest. Do not forgot the accessory belts and or timing belts.

I change the differential fluids even though some are not supposed to be changed at all. On my original Ford Expedition I think they did not have you change it and it was a 75W140. I changed it anyway and put in 75W90 Mobil 1. They now specify a 75W90 and I will probably use a 75W-80 as Red Line offers.

The Enzo uses the Shell Transaxle Fluid 75W90 but I am using the Red Line 75W-80.

If you are stuck out on the road they will all flatbed you away. There would be no charge if still under warrantee.

aehaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back