Has anyone spotted GC Edge 0w40 in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the GC Edge 0w30 is readily available in my area I haven't been able to find the Edge 0w40. The 0w40 is API SM/CF and BMW LL-04. I'd prefer to run this over the 0w30, especially on track days.

Don't think you'll find this in the US. Or North America for that matter. Too bad, it seems like an excellent oil for the N54. But you CAN get RLI 5W-40 biosyn.................
wink.gif

BMW Dealers sell it. BMW HP Synth 0w-40. I have a Castrol MSDS on it, but no part number. Perhaps on a BMW Forum you might find info. Be shure to post here again if you find some.

Which BMW dealers in North America sell it? I've searched for the BMW part number for a while now, but no luck.

Quote:

BMW Dealers sell it. BMW HP Synth 0w-40. I have a Castrol MSDS on it, but no part number. Perhaps on a BMW Forum you might find info. Be shure to post here again if you find some.

I've seen their HP Syn 5W-40 but nothing 0W. The 5W-40 seems to cater to older designs that like a thicker oil. Had API SL and CH-4 ratings but no ACEA A3. Can you post the MSDS? I'd like to see some 0W-40 that they approve too.

After a little more research here (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lubricants/castrol.aspx) it looks like the 0w-40 is a very light 40 wt with very little difference from the 0w-30 (but I'm no expert). The GC 0w-30 also meets API SM. The 0w-40 TBN is listed at 6.6. Is this a misprint? Think I’ll stop looking for the 0w-40 but will give it a try if I happen to see it at Autozone next to the 0w30.

Probably won't see it alongside the 0W-30 GC. It was hard enough to keep an esoteric oil such as the 0W-30 on the shelf, I seriously doubt they'd make room for another, very similar (spec and popularity) type oil. Plus, with almost twice the TBN, the "30" should do a better job fighting the insidious fuel dilution (for a little while) and all the trouble it brings. Try it and post a UOA. Curious to see how the "wunderoil" will fair in the N54.

I also saw the low tbn 6.6 on edge 0W40.

But theres longtech 0W40 has tbn 10.2. I think this is former BP Visco 7000 0W40.

Quote:

I also saw the low tbn 6.6 on edge 0W40.

But theres longtech 0W40 has tbn 10.2. I think this is former BP Visco 7000 0W40.

There has been speculation for some time that our GC was LongTech. Probably was and still is. Seems BP/Castrol may have "dumbed down" some of the LongTech and TXT formulas to produce some of the newer Edge and Edge Sport oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back