2006 Honda CRV Diff Fluid Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd pass along a little tidbit - wife's 2006 CRV w/ 25K miles...rear end started chattering on sharp turns. Took it to dealer under warrantee - they changed the 'dual pump fluid' and resurfaced something in the diff. Bottom line seems to be that their dual pump fluid (with a 'severe service' interval of 60K miles) was broken down at 25K, apparently a common problem. I'll change mine out every 20K miles from here on out!

Taking some of their other long-life fluid recs with a grain of salt...

I'd like to get a "read" on this fluid. I'm not even sure why they call it "dual pump fluid", nor do I remember seeing much chat or a VOA on it.

Amsoil calls for a "VTF"..........hmmm..........

I'd also like to know this differential design. What did the dealer "resurface"? So for sure the fluid had broken down?

Quote:

I'd like to get a "read" on this fluid. I'm not even sure why they call it "dual pump fluid", nor do I remember seeing much chat or a VOA on it.

Amsoil calls for a "VTF"..........hmmm..........

I'd also like to know this differential design. What did the dealer "resurface"? So for sure the fluid had broken down?

Not sure on this...I believe they resurfaced the clutch in the diff. Maybe it's just defective...but in the waiting room I heard them explaining the fluid change to another guy that had the same problem.

They are mailing my receipt to me (big hurry to get out of there), so if it says anything different than what I said here I'll PM you!

Resurface??? Drive several figure-8's in an empty parking lot
laugh.gif

VOA/UOA on this fluid is needed.

Quote:

wife's 2006 CRV w/ 25K miles...rear end started chattering on sharp turns.

Co-workers with CR-V's report similar issues. The older CR-V's were easier on the rear axle fluid than the newer ones.

Apparently the LS unit was re-engineered with extra bias to "lock" better in slippery conditions. You can get the same effect - including chattering - by putting stronger preload springs into a limited slip unit.

The CR-V rear end chattering issue is quite common. An engineeer I know with a 2005 CR-V changes his transaxle fluid every two years, the rear axle fluid every fall. The rear axle holds around 1 litre if I recall, and he claims the fluid is around $6 Cdn

Uh.......I'm beginning to hear squealing when turning on our 2005. That's coming out Thursday....I already have 2 quarts in waiting of the DPF.

This is nothing new. I had a supervisor from 2001-2004 and his wife had a CRV and I specifically remember advising him to get this fluid changes early ... maybe 15-20K miles ... because some owners were complaining of gear whine at fairly low mileage totals.
frown.gif

I also remembering asking Dave Granquist of Red Line Oil if any of their fluids would satisfy the requirements for this mysterious "dual-pump fluid" and he couldn't say becasue Honda wouldn't release the specs/requirements.
mad.gif

I'm pretty sure I hashed all this out on BITOG years ago ... but I don't know if a search using "dual pump" or similar would find that old thread.

It might have been grouped in with other beefs about Honda and their propensity to use proprietary fluids.
mad.gif

The "dual pump fluid" is in the center differential and is used to transfer power to the rear wheels. There is a pump connected to the front and rear drive shafts. Under normal conditions the pumps turn at the same speed and pressure is balanced. When the front wheels spin a pressure differential is created which engages a clutch to send power to the rear wheels.

I was checking out new vehicles a couple of months ago and the CRV was high on the list. I saw that mess and decided to take a pass on the CRV (for other reasons too). Looks like my instincts were correct.

Ed

Ours has 120k with a single change at 90k, no issues. Automatic trans that is simple to service too.

The dif takes 1.1q, so last time I added a splash of plain Dex to top it off. This time I have some leftover AMSoil ATF and will use that.

We had a '99. Very reliable car. When we lived in the snowbelt, that LS clutch (it's not a differential) went ~60k on fluid before it'd chatter. As simple, and somewhat questionable a design as it is to 4wd purists, it got the job done every time in the snow hands down. Really, it's a purely mechanical version of the subaru Awd (AT models only, 5spd uses entirely differnt method). Kept the fluid changed, zero problems.

Yep, as Steelhead can tell you, most CR-V'ers change out the Dual Pump well before 60k miles. I did mine myself at 50k or so b/c it had started to howl on turns. The problem was immediately fixed however I still believe I have a failure on the AWD system somewhere. It just doesn't seem to engage even though my Honda service manager said they've never seen a failure and some of the folks at hondasuv.com think I'm some nutty amateur for even suggesting it. FWIW, my service manager says they always drain/refill/drive around/drain/and refill again. Barring the fluid issues, which may well be fixed with the new fluid, the CR-V's AWD system is great. It's a foul weather system, of course, and at that, it excels! In the rain, WHEN mine worked (I've yet to have it looked at) I could embarass anything short of an EVO or WRX at the stoplight.
grin.gif

Maybe that's why mine seems broken....
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back