Let's make a list of the 10 worst GM cars ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Ever heard of mitsubishisucks.com? Makes for an interesting read.

Yeah I've seen that site...But I'm sure I could find you many more anti-GM sites than you could for anti-Mitsu. What's funny is that a Mitsubishi is technically more American than a GM cuz they don't outsource their jobs to cheap labor Canada and Mexico. (As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.) Furthermore, show me some data that shwos GM ranking higher than Mitsu in reliability. I never intended this to become a mud slinging thread, but I had to respond to what you said.

this has to be the most stupid and ignorant thing i have ever read on this website. ever.

cheap labor Canada and Mexico? do you know the first thing about Canada? how could you possibly have the audacity to group Canada with Mexico for labor costs? that is so unbelievably and irritatingly ignorant. take your head out of your A$$ and educate yourself on the rest of the world.

oh, and just so i can let you know now before you post... today the Canadian dollar is worth 1.01 US dollar. which means, it is worth more. thank you very much.

the mexican peso, on the other hand, is 1 tenth the American dollar. in other words, 1 USD gets you 10.94 Mexican pesos.

Quote:

Let me know when you want to line up one of your chick cars against my pos GM. I will be picking up my time slip while you are still trying to complete your 16 second 1/4 mile. I would not even take a mitsu for a winter beater they are the bottom of the line of asian cars right there with kia and daewoo. pretty bad when your below hyundai.

I could care less for how fast my cars could do the quarter mile, although you are wrong in that "16 second" quarter mile assumption cuz my Eclipse can do a high-14 - it has basic bolt-ons (headers, exhaust, intake.) My Galant is prolly in the 16s, then again it's just my college beater and I'll worry about getting a faster car later on in life, school happens to be more important right now. Is this going to turn into a "my car is better than your car" thread now?

Quote:

oh, and just so i can let you know now before you post... today the Canadian dollar is worth 1.01 US dollar. which means, it is worth more. thank you very much.

the mexican peso, on the other hand, is 1 tenth the American dollar. in other words, 1 USD gets you 10.94 Mexican pesos.

I see you're from Canada and I apologize if you took my comments personally - you seem to be very upset. Did you know that the average UAW worker makes $27/hour with benefits that can double or even triple the total cost? However, in Mexico the average wage of an experienced worker is $3.50 an hour. Now tell me that's not cheap labor. Furthermore, seeing as how Canada has universal health coverage I'd imagine that GM doesn't need to worry about healthcare benefits? Here's an interesting read for ya:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/07/20/yourmoney/mexcar.php
Again, please do not take what I say too personally and let's try to keep this thread diplomatic.

Benny, I just re-read your posts and noticed my previous post was a bit irrelevant to answering your point in that Mexican and Canadian labor shouldn't be grouped together. You're right - cheap labor isn't as much an issue in Canada, as there is the CAW union and the dollar-for-dollar value is pretty close. I do point out though that automakers aren't as liable for benefits in Candada cuz they do not have to worry about health coverage which is a HUGE benefit, other than supplemental health insurance which isn't as expensive to them.

VEGA-neighbor had a 74 with the 2bbl carb option. Car burned lots of oil (1 qt 400 miles) but neighbo gave it away with 105K miles and it ran for years after that.
Needed a trans (they were air cooled) at about 60K

Quote:

Alright, here's something fun: Let's make a list of the 10 worst GM cars of all time.

Well, I've had an '84 Buick Century which was a total nightmare and an '85 Chevy Celebrity that wasn't much better (but more reliable). Both cars were old and used, so who knows why they were so bad.

My next choice would be the Opel Kadett D (same as Vauxhaul Astra Mark I), followed by the late '80s/early '90s Pontiac Le Mans, which was similar to the Opel Kadett E while being built for GM by Daewoo. Ack.

Quote:

Benny, I just re-read your posts and noticed my previous post was a bit irrelevant to answering your point in that Mexican and Canadian labor shouldn't be grouped together. You're right - cheap labor isn't as much an issue in Canada, as there is the CAW union and the dollar-for-dollar value is pretty close. I do point out though that automakers aren't as liable for benefits in Candada cuz they do not have to worry about health coverage which is a HUGE benefit, other than supplemental health insurance which isn't as expensive to them.

listen, Chuck, get your facts straight. i am in agreement with you that labor is cheap in mexico. of course it is. but make no mistake, labor is NOT cheap in canada. CAW workers make well in excess of $27/hour and have many benefits including extended healthcare, prescription, physiotherapy, dental, eye care, etc.

do not group canada with mexico for labor costs.

Quote:

Quote:

Let me know when you want to line up one of your chick cars against my pos GM. I will be picking up my time slip while you are still trying to complete your 16 second 1/4 mile. I would not even take a mitsu for a winter beater they are the bottom of the line of asian cars right there with kia and daewoo. pretty bad when your below hyundai.

I could care less for how fast my cars could do the quarter mile, although you are wrong in that "16 second" quarter mile assumption cuz my Eclipse can do a high-14 - it has basic bolt-ons (headers, exhaust, intake.) My Galant is prolly in the 16s, then again it's just my college beater and I'll worry about getting a faster car later on in life, school happens to be more important right now. Is this going to turn into a "my car is better than your car" thread now?

Just for comparison, I previously owned a 2000 SS Camaro (LS1) and now have a Mazdaspeed 3. My Mazda certianly won't compete with the Camaro in any speed test, but once the turbo/engine is let loose in 3rd gear it would outrun any current "standard" Mustang I think. It is a 14 second car, that is fwd and doesn't get full power until 3rd gear to minimize wheel spin. Some of the imports, WRX STI, EVO, Speed3, etc... are really impressive cars. Having said that, my Camaro was so fun to drive, I miss the rear wheel drive
crazy.gif

BennyL - Isn't this a good place to claim that the reason car are being manufactured in Canada rather than the US is because Canadians work harder and not lower hourly wages?

I think the most efficient and highest profit GM plant is located in Canada. Ironically, it is matching the Toyota model the best of all the GM plants from what I have read.

I have always considered Canada to be essentially an equal with the US...sort of like another state or territory.

thank you blackdiamond. clearly, you know something about canada and are not ignorant to what lies beyond the northern border like some americans are. if any of you have ever been to toronto, you would understand it is as american as any US city.

and you are probably thinking of the GM Autoplex in Oshawa, which received an award for most efficient auto plant in North America in 2007 and JD Power's gold award for initial quality in 2006, 2005, 2003, and 2002. it will also be the manufacturing site for the new Chevy Camaro in 2008.

Quote:

Oh Dear.....
We each buy cars for different reasons, some of us want power, some fuel economy, some size or maneuverability.
But I think what we all require (in our daily driver) is reliability, reasonable longevity and predictable handling.
To my mind, this should be Job #1 for any car manufacturer, and although most Auto manufacturers produce a lemon once in a while 'I' tend to belive GM has produced more than most over the years.

Quote:

ignorant to what lies beyond the northern border like some americans are

I'm sorry I grouped Canadian labor with Mexican labor - that's not right. My intention wasn't to downplay the Canadian work ethic. I understand how you'd feel to have your people being stereotyped into the same group as Mexican labor, it's not right. Ever been to a US Wal-Mart?

Quote:

yes, i have been to a US Wal-Mart. once. in Buffalo. why do you ask?

Just meant that as a rhetorical question to point out that ya prolly won't see Canadians coming across the border to get a job at Wal-Mart - said that to clarify my point that I didn't mean to insult their work ethic or your country.

Vega? That was a great car for hot rodders. Perfect engine swap candidates. I had a few of them, one V8 powered. One with a Buick 3.8 V6 on nitrous and one 4 banger with with a steel sleeved block, high comp pistons, side draft weber carbs ported head and a cam. Lots of fun. For those who just wanted to drive them the way they came from Chevy...
laugh.gif

All my Vegas are long gone.

BTW, anyone heard of the Cosworth? That was way ahead of it's time.

one of the problems with the caddys with 4.1 engines were that they had terrible transmissions. they were known for burning their ATF.

the quad4 was a remarkable engine. it was almost 200hp from a 4cyl 2.4l non-turbo or VTEC engine in 1990. they were designed by an outside engineering company, not in house GM, and you could tell. mine ran for 280k miles then I got rid of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back