Let's make a list of the 10 worst GM cars ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The other thing I'll hasten to add is that we're watching this thread very closely. Facially, there's nothing wrong with such a list (or one asking about Ford, Nissan, Toyota, etc.), but historically, such threads don't take long to turn ugly. Please don't be the one who goes there...
patriot.gif

Agreed. Every car company has had their share of flops...I wouldn't mind if anyone tried making a list for Mitsubishi or Nissan (my personal favorite companies,) but I just decided to make a list for GM since they're personally one of my least favorites.

Quote:

Ever heard of mitsubishisucks.com? Makes for an interesting read.

Yeah I've seen that site...But I'm sure I could find you many more anti-GM sites than you could for anti-Mitsu. What's funny is that a Mitsubishi is technically more American than a GM cuz they don't outsource their jobs to cheap labor Canada and Mexico. (As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.) Furthermore, show me some data that shwos GM ranking higher than Mitsu in reliability. I never intended this to become a mud slinging thread, but I had to respond to what you said.

Quote:

Mostly all of the cars of the early - mid 80's. However this was not concentric to GM only.

I will say after driving a Cadillac CTS recently I was very impressed what GM can produce.

This must have contributed significantly to GM's loss of market share because at the same time some companies like Honda were producing their finest Accords (subjective perhaps).

New Hondas, like Toyotas, are severely cheapened compared to 15-20 years ago, even though their technology (like GM's) has advanced greatly at the same time. I believe today GM is much closer in quality to their competition than 20 years ago.

That said, I wouldn't buy a Cadillac (or a late model Mercedes for that matter) because all that ultra-techno-whiz stuff are just extra invitations to break, and cost a fortune to diagnose and repair. But perhaps in a few more years today's top level of automotive high-tech gadgetry will be well ironed out.

Cadillac 4-6-8 should be right up there on the list as well.

While the vehicles themselves weren't so bad, there were a few model years of engines that really sucked.

J.D. Power 2006 Fewest Problems per 100 cars built.

7. Cadillac
9. GMC
14. Chevy
20. Saturn
23. Pontiac
25. Buick
26. Mitsubishi

This is order of ranking, not problems per 100 cars.

Quote:

Anything with a 4.1,4.5 or 4.9L engine.

Easy there killer, in the hundreds, or thousdands of allante owners ive dealt with, i cant think of one 4.5 problem, and i can think of one 4.1 owner who had a cooling problem, his coolant hadn't been changed in over 8 years though.

Then again, the allante engines werent exactly the same as the regular caddy 4.X blocks.

I'd have to say cimmarron, and catera, dont get me wrong i absolutely loved driving the catera, i love the early ones interior and exterior more than any CTS, but they werent so reliable...

My Grandfather had a Pontiac with the 350 diesel. In 200,000 miles the only thing that was replaced was the injector pump.

The worst GM car I have ever owned was a 1990 Pontiac LeMans made by Daewoo. I can't think of one good thing about that car. I take that back I do have to say the seats were really comfortable.

I owned a 78 Pontiac Grand Prix that is my all time favorite car. She was abused by previous owners but she was alright by me. She never left me stranded. Easy to work on. She simply adored the TLC I gave her. That car had a soul. If I could go back in time, I would find the car lot she was sold brand new at and buy her. And I ain't apologizing for this rant. Alas, she died on the Interstate. It was a good death in the hills.

My sister did have a 1970-something Pontiac Astre (Vega clone) for a short while. We would have had it longer (this was during her HS years, the early 80s) but for its disastrous, self-inflicted death. She was trying to make a left turn across a busy intersection, with her arrow, and as she tried to make the 1-2 upshift, the shifter linkage cable snapped, totally disabling the somewhat vital gear shifting function. By that time though, we had already nicknamed the car the "Dis-Astre", for its steadily growing pattern of nefarious behaviors. My dad refused to throw any more good money after bad, and that was the end of that.

Chuckles,
I owned a Vega wagon back in the day. Other than the deep scores in the cylinder bores (I removed the head and looked for myself), with the consequent really extreme oil consumption, there was nothing wrong with it. Keep adding oil, and it would (and did) run for a very long time.
I owned two Corvairs. Great cars, as anyone who has actually owned one will tell you. Yeah, you had to be aware of the heater boxes, and oil leaks (mainly the pushrod tubes) were endemic, but there was no same size package with the interior space of the Corvair, and the cars had awesome cornering ability, if you knew how to drive.
I owned a Citation. The V-6 was rough and thrashy, but had ample power. Overall gearing was very tall, which made for quiet and economical highway cruising. Ride was GM contemporary (floaty), and the car would hang as well in the corners as you dared to try. The Citation was a really roomy car, but was let down by really low rent interior materials, including the seats from ----.
Now, I am a dedicated import buyer these days, but I think GM often gets a bum rap. There are pleanty of trouble prone European and Japanese models as well, but the American nameplates seem to take the brunt of the abuse.

Quote:

Quote:

Anything with a 4.1,4.5 or 4.9L engine.

Easy there killer

laugh.gif
I have had more than my fair share of 4.1,4.5 and 4.9's in my shop with problems. I have seen flat cams, ground up distributer gears(and the cam too), oil leaks, that stupid unacessable water pipe, warped blocks, leaking liners etc.

Don't forget to put in stop leak ocasionally too. It's required and all the cars had the sticker telling you to add it.

I was so fed up with those things I quit fixing cars and started driving a truck! LOL

I think that 4.1 engine is funny. "HAY, I have a great idea! Lets make the engine with an aluminum block, but to save money we will use cast iron heads!" "Brilliant!"

Quote:

No ----! Aluminum block and iron heads! Never heard about this. I wonder if any are still running?

See my above post, please. Again, my son's 87 Seville (4.1L) is still chugging along fine. Yes, the aluminum block/iron head config sounds goofy, and it is, but really, there are a lot of these cars out there running just fine. This engine was used in virtually all front drive Cadillacs before the arrival of the Northstar a little over 10 years ago. It certainly has its flaws, but properly cared for, it's durable. It's by no means a great design, but I don't think it has earned a place on the "10 worst" list either.

There were good things about the early Saturns, but I still can't get over the fact that those engines burned so much oil.

I also don't like the Quad4, because GM made a terrible ignition system for it.

The ignition system on the LT1/LT4 didn't make any sense either.

Quote:

Quote:

Ever heard of mitsubishisucks.com? Makes for an interesting read.

Yeah I've seen that site...But I'm sure I could find you many more anti-GM sites than you could for anti-Mitsu. What's funny is that a Mitsubishi is technically more American than a GM cuz they don't outsource their jobs to cheap labor Canada and Mexico. (As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.)

IIRC, Mitsubishi has one plant in the US producing a very small number of vehicles, vs. GM who has many many plants spread all over the US (I think around 56 plants). I guess I am not really seeing your argument there.

Let me know when you want to line up one of your chick cars against my pos GM. I will be picking up my time slip while you are still trying to complete your 16 second 1/4 mile. I would not even take a mitsu for a winter beater they are the bottom of the line of asian cars right there with kia and daewoo. pretty bad when your below hyundai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back