Severus Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work, I notice the drums of oil that were labeled Amsoil are now labeled Severus Oil. They are from Superior, Wisconsin as is Amsoil. Would anyone know if Severus is a product of Amsoil or a subsidiary of Amsoil? According to Severus web site, it is for jobbers and fleet use and they only offer synthetic products.

In the Corporate Information section of their web site they mention a parent company but do not identify it. To be more specific, the 15w40 oil used at work still comes in drums marked Amsoil but the 5w30 oil is in drums marked Severus. Tomorrow I'll have to look at the ATF drums to see what they are marked.

This from up the food chain:

Quote:

Severus is interesting-- and I haven't been able to pin anyone down on it. It appears to be a commercially available, in large volume, synthetic produced by AMSOIL under the different name.

I don't really regard it as a threat to the average AMSOIL dealer. Al built the business on the individual dealers, and he isn't about to screw them or run them off.

I found out a lot about Severus on Thursday. It's not a threat at all to the dealer network. Very specific niche. It's also interesting to know that, yes Amsoil makes oils for OEM's. Top end companies. Don't ask me, because I can not, nor would I ever tell.

They couldn't come up with something better than Severus. C'mon that would make one a little suspicious wouldn't it. I found out I could have this stuff bottled and put my company or my name on it if I liked. Then I could sell it at my dealership cheaper than Amsoil dealers.

It would be so easy for one to have their name on the container. One could then market it to major product movers such as... Well you know who I mean. It would be pretty easy for someone to "let the cat out of the bag".
If I knew a product was Amsoil with a different name on the bottle and was cheaper than buying from a dealer than I would give it a look. I think Al or an accoutant recommended this branch be created during a time when dealer performance wasn't as good as expected. I saw 1996 somewhere on the website.

I suppose - but I'm not sure how much you would clear after you did all your marketing, bought the bottling equipment, etc.

Besides - Amsoil is fairly careful who they sell it to. Known firms, with solid backgrounds that are NOT in the oil business.

Very interesting and a nice way for Amsoil to break into other markets. I did notice the PDS for the Severus 0w-20 is not the same as the Amsoil 0w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back