Waste of time and money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exotic fluids changed more often than needed. High priced brake components. Spending hours and hours with an exorbitantly priced wax.

Sometimes it's just too much. Guess what? If you change your oil on schedule and wax the car once a year you are ahead of 90% of the general population. Do you really plan on driving your car 500,000 miles? I don't.

IT'S JUST A CAR. Don't forget that you should be micro analyzing what goes into your body more than what goes into your engine. Important things are health, family, friends, and happiness. This is a fun hobby, but dont get too wrapped up in it. After all, it's just a car. Enjoy driving and quit worrying about the small details so much! Remember what's really important!

Stay well my friends.
patriot.gif

You mean obsessing over scratches, using magnets on my filter, nitrogen in my tires, and draining oil overnight won't help my sex life, help me make good friends, and keep my teeth whiter? I guess I'll have to get a life.
tounge2.gif

Good post, AT.

I agree with the comments that one can get carried away with things. It is after all only a car. One day it will be crushed and melted to make a new car. But before then I do not want it to fail while I am driving on the highway.

True, but I think the ones that are truly annal about all this are the ones, like myself, that WANT to get to 500K. Imagine if you could do that with all your former cars and how much money you'd save? Every mile you drive past pay off is like putting money in your pocket. You can't count the day to day wear and tear. Driving is a luxury, not a necessity. It's still going to cost something. But if you could get your vehicle up to that magic mileage, and do it with confidence that you won't get stranded somewhere, just think about it............

I view tweaking the car as a hobby that ~saves~ money. For what some people pay locally for tires, I get better ones cheaper mail-order. For what some pay for a plain dino OC, I get my pick of synthetics...for less. I def see the virtue of dino oil as a cost/effective option, but synth trans fuid that stays in the car for a long time seems worth it's price.

Sometimes I wonder how many of us pay as much attention to what to put in our mouth as to what to put in our cars.

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder how many of us pay as much attention to what to put in our mouth as to what to put in our cars.

This is funny because when I get drive through fast food, when I get the bag at the window and pull away, I put it on the passenger floormat instead of the passenger seat. My reasoning is that the counter they placed the bag on may have had something greasy on it, or the greasy food itself in the bag may be leaking through, and I dont want that on my seat.
I think to myself as I place it on the floormat "Man it's not good enough for your seat, but you'll put this in your body"
laugh.gif

Their are Bitog members that exercise adn try to watch what they eat but that would be another web site would it!!! I mean this is about lube's and car's and planes and train's etc.....

Just a few weeks ago I saved over $500 in labor and about $50 in fluids by replaceing the wife's transmission on her buick myself. I can change my oil with synthetic oil for $10-$20 an oil changes depending on sale's like Bogo of full price at Walmart etc.... The cheapest dino oil change I have seen lately is $15 and that usualy does not cover the additional shop fee's etc....

Seriously when AAP has BOGO you can get 4 quart's of Penszoil or Valvoline SYnthetic for around $10-$11 dollar's and that is not with any stupid mail in rebates. When then have their brand of oil filter on sale and BOGO you end up getting a good filter for about $1 each.

As for wax's I wait until summer is almost over and I can buy wax's and such that would normaly sell for $28 a bottle for $1-$4. So I stock up on the exotic stuff then. You can do this stuff the smart/cheap way or the expensive way. Heck when I ordered VP full ester based raceing oil includeing tax and shipping to my door step I was paying something like $3.56 per quart for an oil that normaly sell's for $9-$13 a quart.

As to driveing for 500,000 miles I doubt I will ever own anything that long but 300,000 is easily doable. Maybe if I had something with a V8 or turbo I6 I would consider 500,000 but I really do not want to be stuck in my 4 cylinder any longer then I have to. Ilike power. Seeing how i do all of my own non-warranty work I like to keep the engine clean and as close to desposit free as I can get. This makes life easier for me since it usualy mean's fewer part's failure's and when you do have to work on it gasket's come right off and are usualy reusable. The part's do not have to be hammered apart due to build up glueing the part's together.I do not have to use much if any solvent wich is better for the environment. I have never in my life had a transmission ,diff. or transfer case fail even though I used to go four wheeling every weekend from 1986 to about 2006.As soon as I get another 4x4 I will be at it again. In fact I have never even had a wheel bearing go bad. I always repacked them once a year or after a deep or long water crossing so even on a 16 year old truck with timken's they were still like knew 16 year's latter. To me that is not excessive that is proper maintence. In my eye's what most call preventive m,aintence I call neglect and the worst abuser of this are the OEM's themself's. They have consistently pushed back the maintence interval's on a lot of things and it is clear that this is in their best interest. First it lower the intial cost of ownership but right around 100,000 miles the car need's expensive plugs,fuelfilter,expensive fluid changes from front to rear, transmission and power steering pumps are starting to fail and the car need's it third starter and 2 alternator etc.....Most people will trade it in and refinace a new car!

I agree about taking care of your body as being more important, but yes I do plan on keeping my car to 500k miles if the rust doesn't take it first
wink.gif
so I don't believe what I do is overkill.

Quote:

After all, it's just a car. Enjoy driving and quit worrying about the small details so much!

laugh.gif
That goes against everything that is BITOG! You're not the first one who 'lost their way' AT. You'll regain your senses.
cheers.gif

Joel

No, I'm not leaving the forum. I probably should have posted this in off topic, but since we're discussing maintenance....

I agree that taking care of your car well is a good thing. I do it myself as well. Just reminding people to have fun with it and not get too obsessed with minutia.

Regardless of how well you take care of the mechanicals on a vehicle, the electronics deteriorate and usually in ten years or less major computer related parts become unavailable. With technology advancing at an ever faster and faster rate, unless you drive 50K miles a year, your going to have a heck of a time keeping a car today safe and reliable to 500K miles!

I guess I can't help my obsession with cosmetic and mechanical perfection. I don't even like dust on my car, much less anything spashed down the sides of it. I like the way it looks when it's sparkling in the sunshine and I find great relaxation and peace of mind while I'm giving my car a bath followed by a wax massage. It centers me and I take great pride in my ability to keep a car looking new and running perfectly many years into its life. Do I care if it lasts 500K miles? No. That's the concern for the owner(s) that come after me.

You're talking about a national pasttime, not a disease or affliction. Millions of people at car shows fussing over minute details with a California Duster in one hand and a microfiber towel in the other is a fantastic representation of an American tradition. I consider my car much more than that 3500 lb collection of metal, rubber and glass taking up room in my garage. It's my friend. Sometimes its my partner in crime when I feel compelled to break a speed limit or two. It takes me wherever I want to go, and can even entertain me along the way. It's a beautiful machine that's at my beck and call, 24/7. Do any of us have friends or relatives that reliable?

Speaking for myself, I can maintain my relationships with my friends and family, keep up with the nuts and bolts of life and still find the time to spend with my 4-wheeled friend.

I agree AT, another thing I have found is sometimes when you try and "do it right", or do some PM to the car, I always end up breaking something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back