High Revs and GC/30-Weight Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone told me that if you're on a "thin" oil (30-weight or less), never hold your revs above 3K RPM for like more than 15, 20 seconds.

Ridiculous, I believe...but...decided to put this out and see what you guys have to say.
smile.gif

Quote:

Someone needs to call all the Nascar engine builders and let them know. No wonder they have so many failures...
crazy.gif

Exactly
laugh.gif
. It's amazing how thin an oil they run those engines on.

lol, where did you hear that? my car's cruising speed is above 3k on the highway and I ran 5w30 Havoline DS for over 4300 miles, mostly highway above 3k and wear came back below average.

Guess that would also explain why my Saturn used after I did that 15 minute high rev run on the highway, just to see how good Amsoil's 60 weight racing oil would protect under serious stress...

Quote:

I guess no one with a 4cyl can ever drive on the highway.... Most I've ever been in turn around 3k at 60-65mph unless they have a serious overdrive.

My saab just rolls over at 2200 rpm at 105km/h. Its a little 2.0L 4 cylinder.

canada.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My saab just rolls over at 2200 rpm at 105km/h. Its a little 2.0L 4 cylinder.

canada.gif

...with a turbo...

My 1972 MGB revs at 2800rpm at 100km/h... no turbo is that, and its a 1.8L

That's 2800rpm with the electric overdrive engaged
cheers.gif

My 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan w/automatic/overdrive/lockupTC revs at ~2500rpm at 100kph, no turbo, and a wee 1.5L L4
canada.gif

Last edited:
My mouse must have been in OD, as I didn't intend the double post.
A bit OT, but what oil do you use in your B? I've always used a 10W-40 dino, and the engine neither leaks nor consumes noticeably.

I was using mobil 1 15w50, it didnt like it. So I have gone back to 20w50 Castrol GTX dino. Love it, so quiet minimal oil leaking and zero buring of oil.

I ran RP 20w50 for 1 month, and what a waste, engine ticking away, just awful stuff, Ill never touch RP again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back