ATF drain interval for 2006 Toyota RAV-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading my owners manual, I can not find any mfrs (Toyota) recommneded drain interval for the ATF. Everything in the manual just refers to checking the level and fill. Any commnents and suggestions on the drain interval?

These days most new vehicles don't come with maintainence interval for tranny's, and if you searched this forum you will realize that most of the manufacturers recommendations are misplaced.

A good maintainence interval extensively documented on this forum is drain and fill every 15K miles (every 3rd oil change).

The 15,000 interval seems excessive for just a daily driver. This equates to one/year. I would have thought ATFs have come farther along than 20-30 years ago.
confused.gif

No, 15k is NOT excessive with lame OEM ATF. Its barely acceptable. ATF has come further. But, what we expect from the transmission has come even more further. What we squeeze out of the engine power wise is even more so. The newest OEM fluid specs are bandaids holding the expectations of the drivertrain together.

What you need to do is decide if you plan on keeping the car 250k miles or just trading it in every 60k.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle, a yearly or ~15k drain/reill is a must. This changes 30%-50% of the fluid, depending on vehicle, and will aid in long transmission life. If the goal is to trade in or sell the vehicle with
Usually, an ATF UOA is an eye opener for many.
Since I only use 3.5 quarts of ATF at every drain/refill, I do this at every oil change(6 months 7.5k miles). Takes less then 5 minutes to move my oil catch pan over to the tranny, pull the plug, reinstall it, and refill the AT through its ATF dipstick.

If the vehicle is worked or driven aggressively, or automaker or trans maker has history of issues, use better fluids, install filters/coolers, and adjust your interval accordingly.

i agree with the above statement.. i do mine every 10-15k miles.. luckily most yota trannies are pretty tough so 10-15k mile increments would be great.. just think most people dont even do that.. look into Valvoline Maxlife ATF. its suitable for most toyotas (make sure in your case) and its only 3.50 a quart and its a blend with good additives

Drain/refill is the best when you have a dipstick, a drainplug, and a reasonable interval.

Does the 2006 Rav4 have T-IV or the WS fluid? I just change the fluid every 3 or 4 oil changes in my Toyota's that have T-IV. works well for me.

i thought toyota's ATF is for lifetime LOL

i would change at least once a year, at least for my honda/acura

i do drive hard on the tranny so it's a good way to maintain and it's not expensive to do it

06 RAV4 takes Toyota WS fluid. Both the 4-cyl and 6-cyl versions have a drainplug and dipstick.

$45/gallon or so from your local dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back