Fuel Stabilizers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what your experiences may be with certain fuel stabilizers and what ingredients are important to look for. I've only used Stabil and I had a guy from Polaris tell me that's what is probably plugging up my kids 90cc ATV carb. His words 'I don't trust that stuff as far as I can throw it.' Pretty strong statement so I thought I would ask your opinions on what to use for my ATV's and 2-stroke, carb outboard.

Thanks in advance!
patriot.gif

a lot of people like Stabil. It should not clogg things up, more likely the opposite! Another good fuel stabilizer is the one from Brigg&Stratton, very good stuff.

Did your conversation imply that you wanted the dealer to fix your ATV? Then they asked if you used anything other than Polaris oil and premium gas? If you followed the manual to the letter?
When you mentioned that you used Stabil during winter rest, the dealer said "oh ----, we recommend no additives so I'm sorry"

Never really had the results others have had with StaBil. Tried it in 3 different motorcycles and the mower over a couple of winter lay-ups. Starts were ok, but they ran rough until tanks were down and filled with fresh fuel. I had VERY good results from the Briggs & Statton stuff (previously called Fuel Fresh). Same bikes and mower. All started and ran well after 4 months. Started using Fuel Power FP60 with similar results and the added bonus of cleaning. I now use Fuel Power FP+ with a proprietary mix and have even better results with that.

I guess I can elaborate some on the story/situation. We purchased a 90 Sportsman for our son back in Dec 06. Well recently it back fires on occassion and it idles slightly higher (kind of pulses). Well when I move the choke slightly closed it smooths out (like how it idle before) for a little bit but eventually loads up. I assumed it was a lean condition because of the choke affecting it and the back firing when he lets off the gas and so did they. They said that the jets in these motors are really small and get plugged easy. They also said because we don't put a ton of hours on it that within a month the gas can break down and gum them up. That's when I said I put Stabil in the gas because I know we don't always use them alot. It's an oil inject motor just for more details. I did put some Seafoam (mild mix ratio) in the gas and we went for a couple mile ride yesterday. Once we were home it seemed to have helped but probably requires a little more cleaner run through. Our warranty is up so it would cost me for them to look at it and they pretty much from day one have thrown their hands in the air with this little machine and said that's they way they are.

Off the subject, this is the most picky/moody machine I have ever owned. It's great size/power for my 9 yr old but I can see it being a maintenance nightmare.

Quote:

It's an oil inject motor just for more details.

Thought about removing/blocking the oil injector and going pre-mix? Did this with a couple of Wave Runners and all the lean flat spots/over-rich idle & slow speed problems disappeared. Injector probably runs high to keep unit oiled but reduces fuel in mixture (lean) as a result. The injectors in the WRs were variable and caused all kinds of fuel headaches.

I've considered that might of had an effect. The first tank was a light mix for break-in and it actually took awhile to run through that gas. Well since then it was diluted with new gas and has only gone trough a few tanks of gas. I was really considering putting some mix gas in it again to see how it would affect it. Funny thing is it's been a 'slow' progression and could coincide with the gas getting 'diluted' with regular fuel.

Good points by everyone and I will look into it more.

Thanks again.

remmious...

I have a Polaris (2003 500 HO)that I leave at my camp and it sometimes sits for three months before starting...I use Stabil and 2 oz MMO per gallon and I still have the original plug in it.
I use this combination in every thing that runs regular gas around the house with zero issues.

Well the kid ran the ATV around the yard for a little while last night and he said it only back fired once. Also it seems like it wants to idle more now than before the 'treatment'. I will finish running this gas through with Seafoam and if it doesn't clear it all the way up then I will do a light mix gas and see if that smooths it out again. I have the 500EFI and that thing starts/runs perfect no matter what the weather or how long it's been sitting. Nice machines!

SEAFOAM. use it if you want a stabilizer bc it has other benefits as well.. use the directions on the can for stabilizing fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back