How many of you never use fuel injector cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From '91 on up when Bosch moved over to deposit resistant injectors, the incidents of clogged injectors dropped to nearly "0". I can remember a handful of post '91 vehicles that had a bad spray pattern, bad enough to effect idle quality, but otherwise unnoticable. The 80s were prime time for injector cleanings. I spent the major part of my time cleaning injectors to clear up a variety of problems on older cars.

I have 2 older cars, a 92 and a 94. I think the 94 (4.6 2V Ford) has had one can of 44K run through it, a can I had found in my toolbox when I was cleaning it out. Other than that, just gasoline, all brands, has run through them without a problem.

I'd say if you use Top Tier fuels, and don't already have a deposit problem, you may not need cleaners.

I haven't used it in quite a while.

I'm toying with the idea of using seafoam on my girlfriends 2000 neon with 84k miles, but I don't use an in take additive.

Never used any fuel injector cleaners. 155,000 miles. Don't see the point.
And I don't see much varnish buildup in the carb'd cars I have.

Alex.

Quote:

Quote:

I may be wrong, so give me some slack here, but could it be possible that the varnish or whatever is building up so slowly that you wouldn't notice the deminished performance?

Not in the case of my Corvette, because I take it drag racing so if I was losing power I'd see my ET and trap speed get worse. I'd also probably notice my average MPG changing too.

\

If you dont use FI cleaners thats fine. Over time you may not notice a big difference but performance can possibly go down.

Patman your MPH can vary from humidity and elevation change of the atmosphere. Heck even the MAF and 02 sensors will work withing parameters but not provide accurate information to the computer. ET's can vary from your 60ft's and when the air gets thin it'll dictate your ET's aswell. My 60fts ranged from 1.51 seconds to 1.54.

A good example is 1mth ago in my fairweather daily driven 1965 VW beetle I went to the track. 1st run 11.92sec (not taking 1/8 mile either
wink.gif
) then 11.95, 12.01, 12.02. Air was getting thin/horrible and it dicated by my ET's and MPH. Mind you I'm running carbs but regardless its a matter of fuel delivery.

http://members.shaw.ca/acvolkswagen/backinthe11.htm

canada.gif

Quote:

Patman your MPH can vary from humidity and elevation change of the atmosphere. Heck even the MAF and 02 sensors will work withing parameters but not provide accurate information to the computer. ET's can vary from your 60ft's and when the air gets thin it'll dictate your ET's aswell. My 60fts ranged from 1.51 seconds to 1.54.

A good example is 1mth ago in my fairweather daily driven 1965 VW beetle I went to the track. 1st run 11.92sec (not taking 1/8 mile either
wink.gif
) then 11.95, 12.01, 12.02. Air was getting thin/horrible and it dicated by my ET's and MPH. Mind you I'm running carbs but regardless its a matter of fuel delivery.

canada.gif

Not to sound like a smartazz, but I do know a thing or two about racing, as I've got over 2000 quarter mile runs under my belt, I've been racing since 1991. And everytime I go racing I calculate the DA, and correct my ET/mph for that, so I know that weather plays a HUGE factor in my ET/mph, as well as the 60ft (my car is very consistent in that department, typically 1.98 to 2.05, depending on the amount of VHT they spray on the track)

My car's best time is 12.81 at 109.4, with a 1.98 60ft.

Quote:

Quote:

wink.gif

canada.gif

Not to sound like a smartazz, but I do know a thing or two about racing, as I've got over 2000 quarter mile runs under my belt, I've been racing since 1991. And everytime I go racing I calculate the DA, and correct my ET/mph for that, so I know that weather plays a HUGE factor in my ET/mph, as well as the 60ft (my car is very consistent in that department, typically 1.98 to 2.05, depending on the amount of VHT they spray on the track)

My car's best time is 12.81 at 109.4, with a 1.98 60ft.

I guess your MPH on your timeslip should be in the 109MPH realm consistantly. I know alot of guys will tune for MPH and disregard the ET's. Power output is such an indication of MPH. With my naturally aspirated 4 cylinder I've been stuck at 109MPH on pumpgas for a long time. If I had higher compression I'd require more octane and get into the 113MPH + range (loose driveability in my daily fairweather driver) Most guys running my consistant high 11's times in V8's are running 117+mph.

ET's are so dependant on track conditions. Without much track prep I still get 1.51 60fts. Its the import front wheel drive cars that track water to the line that make me slow down with water.

When it comes to FI cleaners its a piece of mind. I'd look into the type of injectors you have. If you have a deflector type its a good idea for an FI cleaner IMO. Pintles are suppose to be self cleaning but they dont wont keep upto years of dirty fuel.

Two years ago, I used BG 44k on my wifes' 95 corolla and saw some noticeable gas millage improvement, but when I tried it on my 97 Integra I didn't see any improvement.

I used a bottle of Wynn's on my ranger at 29000 miles and I could swear it ran worse for the next week or so. There is a guy at work who swears by pennzoil FI cleaner.

fuel injector cleaner does have it's place though! one time, I had a rough idling Mitsubishi mirage, I threw a bottle of redline S1 fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. the idle was silky smooth after that. maybe I got a bad batch of gas somewhere not sure though

I used to work at the plant most GM injectors were made at and had the opportunity to replace the injectors on my '91 Corsica (V6) when it had approx. 110,000 miles on it. I had never used FI cleaner and usually bought cheap gas at a busy gas station on my way home from work. This was back in late 1999 and I took the old injectors to work and we checked them out and they had virtually no build up around the director holes on the tip. None of the build up was in a hole where it would have affected performance. I had bought the car used with 58k miles on it. That convinced me cleaner really isn't needed, normally. I just got rid of a '94 Grand Prix with the 3100V6 and 210k miles on it and only used FI cleaner twice perhaps and it still ran great.

Quote:

I used to work at the plant most GM injectors were made at and had the opportunity to replace the injectors on my '91 Corsica (V6) when it had approx. 110,000 miles on it. I had never used FI cleaner and usually bought cheap gas at a busy gas station on my way home from work. This was back in late 1999 and I took the old injectors to work and we checked them out and they had virtually no build up around the director holes on the tip. None of the build up was in a hole where it would have affected performance. I had bought the car used with 58k miles on it. That convinced me cleaner really isn't needed, normally. I just got rid of a '94 Grand Prix with the 3100V6 and 210k miles on it and only used FI cleaner twice perhaps and it still ran great.

Did you check the spray pattern?

with 180,000 miles on my car i decided to try a bottle of techron concentrate. actually 2 bottles of it.
it didnt help a thing and my gas mileage is still the same as it ever was.

modern injectors are self cleaning. dirty gas should be cleaned up by the fuel filter. also most injectors have a super fine screen inside them as a last line of defense.

Quote:

with 180,000 miles on my car i decided to try a bottle of techron concentrate. actually 2 bottles of it.
it didnt help a thing and my gas mileage is still the same as it ever was.

modern injectors are self cleaning. dirty gas should be cleaned up by the fuel filter. also most injectors have a super fine screen inside them as a last line of defense.

how many cross counts does your 02 sensor have?? did you clean your MAF (if equipped), Thermostat operating properly ?? Air temp sensor within spec??

Alot of factors to consider when your talking about fuel mileage.

Some people notice significant gains from motorvac treatment and some do not notice anything at all.

A bottle will not treat all ailments. Pintles are suppose to be self cleaning but spray patterns do change so that is an indication of a failing "self cleaning" process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back