techron not recomended for air cooled 2 strokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
was reading a bottle of techron concentrate i have. it says not recomended for air cooled 2 strokes. why would this be?
does techron have some sort of solvent which reduced lubricating value of oil? if so, i wonder why the "air cooled" comment. that implies its ok for water cooled 2 strokes, like my banshee atv.
and if techron really does reduce the lubricating quality of oil, perhaps it should only be used before you are going to change the oil in a 4 stroke as well. if the techron blows by the rings and gets into the sump, maybe it can do some damage.
im just speculating here folks. was wondering if any of you could shed some light on this?

I would guess... and it's a guess but the major differences between air cooled and water cooled is the operating temps of the 2 strokes. That is why there are differences in their oils such as ash content. Water cooled require low/no Ash oils while the air cooled require some amount of ash. So there may be some contection between this and the Techron.

one of the main ingredients in techron apparently is stoddard solvent which is a petroleum mixture.

It's probably that the solvents would diminish the oils lubricating effectiveness.
The only lube the 2 stroke top end sees is from the fuel mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back