Heavy Carbon Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a carbon build up on one bank of my 94 Land Cruiser (295,000mi0 cylinders.
The spark plugs from the three rear cylinder were covered with carbon. the first three were clean, its a straight six motor. I did a compression check and the three rear all had higher compression than the first three buy 10 to 15 psi.

A month or so my CE light came on with a bad O2 sensor, thus the reason for the carbon on the plugs. There is two O2 sensors one for each set of cylinders.

Is there a additive to get ride of the carbon or do I need to go to a shop and have the carbon removed? If a shop is needed, what brand of cleaner should I ask the shop what they use?

I'd try running a combustion chamber cleaner (from the store) in the gas for two tanks, then check the chambers again

If you do search you'll find posts here that address combustion chamber cleaning. Search for Seafoam and/or water injection. There was a good discussion on it sometime last year; mid-summer to early fall if I recall.

The higher compression on the cylinders with the fouled plugs is likely due to combustion chamber deposits in those cylinders.

Run some Amsoil Power Foam though the air intake and Amsoil PI in the fuel.

landtoy80.

I'd try a big bottle of Chevron's "Techroline" and see what happens. If it's persistant do a double dose. I've been very happy using this product. Otherwise check with you Toyota dealer as they might be able to handle the service for you.

Durango

Get the engine hot, and get 1/2 quart of distilled water. With the engine running, in Park/Neutral, raise the idle to 2500-3000 RPMs and slowly add water via a brake booster or PCV hose. Use all of the water, then take the vehicle out onto the highway for 30+ minutes to vaporize any excess water.

From then on, continue with quality fuel additives (FP3000, Amsoil PI, etc.) to prevent deposits.

Do the water treatment, like Confederate said....its cheap, easy, and you will see immediate results. Did it on my 02 Cavalier, and it made a noticeable difference......

If you dump a whole bottle of Techron or other strong solvent into your gas think about changing the oil after you burn off that tank of fuel. It is difficult to predict what you will dump into your engine oil but you can be sure that anything that gets past the rings is not going to improve your lubrication.

Yeah water works well, but in my experience the Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner works even better. I used it on a 40 year old side output lawnmower motor I tore apart. It dissolves carbon deposits quickly and thoroughly even when cold.

I used it in my truck and it definitely smoothed out the idle. You just spray it down the throttle and turn off the motor and let the pistons soak for ~30 mins, then take it out for a drive.

Check out these before and after pics of a Mazda Miata:
http://www.miatapix.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=57

Quote:

GM used to have a 'combustion chamber cleaner'. Haven't had a need for it in years so I don't know if it's still available.

If you go to a marine store that sells 2 stroke outboard motors, you can but combustion cahmber cleaner. I know Yamaha and Mercury both sell them. I think they are both the same brand, but with different labels

The trickling water trick works wonders- I did it many years ago on a '63 Dodge small bus with a slant six- nearly doubled the horsepower! Also did it to my uncle's old Ford LTD in SoDak back in '84- it reduced the pinging by about 80%. No kidding.

IF you want to buy an OTC product, use the water, then a little of the OTC product, and then let the car die and let the chemicals soak. Pour the rest in the gas tank, then wait a little longer. Start the car up, knowing that it will be hard to start up, then drive it for a while. I used water and Redline SI-1. The SI-1 floated on top of the water, and got sucked in last.

After you do the water, then the OTC cleaners, order two bottles of: Amsoil PI

Dump the first one in about 1/3 full gas tank and drive it hard until the tank gets low. Repeat after a couple tanks of straight fuel.

I've done the seafoam method and I like it. I'm a little nervouse about sucking water into the engine.

What about a 50/50 mix of seafoam and water. Any reason not to try that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back