Great high speed vids of guns in recoil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to run firing tests with 20mm and 25mm automatic cannons in turrets fed by flexible feed chutes that supplied ammo from -10 to +60 degrees elevation. It was pre-video era so we used high speed movies. The gyrations that go on in a complicated gun system are amazing.

The fairly extreme angle the cartridge is at while being fed into the chamber in that 1911 illustrates why I hate 1911's. I've seen a LOT of 1911's jam a cartridge on the feed ramp.

Quote:

I've seen a LOT of 1911's jam a cartridge on the feed ramp.

I've not had this problem. Most "problems" with the 1911 as of late come from manufactures using cheap parts and not holding tolerance as well as cheap magazines. External extractors are another problem that is not part of the original design (another cost cutting measure). A properly built and spec'd 1911 is a very reliable gun and the 4 that I have run without problems. I think the fact that many if not most SWAT teams (including the FBI) run 1911s is a testament to the design.

Very little M2 Bradley. A lot of the MICV which was it's predecessor (12 prototypes built and tested) and it evolved into the Bradley, it was tested with 20mm. And the Dutch AIFV with a 25mm Oerlikon that used the same ammo as the 25mm Bradley. Plus some others you would never have heard of.

Quote:

Plus some others you would never have heard of.

Did you ever work on the Sgt. York?
And I never could figure out how the NBC systems worked on the Bradley with gun ports in the side.
confused.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I've seen a LOT of 1911's jam a cartridge on the feed ramp.

I've not had this problem. Most "problems" with the 1911 as of late come from manufactures using cheap parts and not holding tolerance as well as cheap magazines. External extractors are another problem that is not part of the original design (another cost cutting measure). A properly built and spec'd 1911 is a very reliable gun and the 4 that I have run without problems. I think the fact that many if not most SWAT teams (including the FBI) run 1911s is a testament to the design.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's amazing that one person has seen LOTS of feed ramp jams and therefore hates 1911s. I been shooting 1911s for 20+ years and haven't seen ONE yet. Go figure.

I also hate 1911's because they've been elevated to an ill-deserved legendary status, and because the .45ACP is one of the most overrated cartridges of all time.

Quote:

I also hate 1911's because they've been elevated to an ill-deserved legendary status, and because the .45ACP is one of the most overrated cartridges of all time.

+1 I would take a Glock over 1911 any day.

Quote:

It's high rating was completely appropriate in 1911.

Quote:

Take a Glock, completely change the extractor design, cheapen the metal on vital components, have it manufactured by everyone under the sun, and I wonder if the same things might be said about all "Glocks".

Quote:

Quote:

Take a Glock, completely change the extractor design, cheapen the metal on vital components, have it manufactured by everyone under the sun, and I wonder if the same things might be said about all "Glocks".

Then it would not be a Glock.

Nice videos of the 1911 illustrating the way the cartridge is supposed to slide up and behind the extractor. Some people don't believe me when I've told them that the extractor does not snap over the cartridge rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back