What about accetone in your gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Bunk!
nono.gif

It's ok to use once in a while and it will clean your fuel system very well. Do a search, there's a lot there. I don't think you will see great gas milage gains, unless you have a problem with your fuel system that Acetone cleans out. Acetone doesn't have the energy potential that gas does.

Quote:

It's ok to use once in a while and it will clean your fuel system very well. Do a search, there's a lot there. I don't think you will see great gas milage gains, unless you have a problem with your fuel system that Acetone cleans out. Acetone doesn't have the energy potential that gas does.

The point of the accetone is not to be a productive member of the combustion process. It's purpose is to make the combustion process more efficient by lowering the surface tension of the fuel and therefore making it spray/combust better.

Yeah right.
So a detergent additive like Techron would be even better then .
and PIB is another direction in reduction of surface tension/

Knowing some of the stuff that I've dumped in my tank, I wouldn't have a problem using it, I just wouldn't want to chance the paint job...

I tried it and I am goign to add mroe this weekend. I will make sure to get a full 3oz in the full tank. I will let you know if anyhting changes.

Some people have increases in MPG when using the proper amounts of acetone in their gas.
Many don't.
People subconciously drive a little differently when testing additives - so that is possible.
It IS a good cleaner, and will help some just because of this. Maybe it affects the burning characteristics of the gas, or lies to the O2 sensor. Who know?

http://www.mpgresearch.com/
mpg Research :: Index

This site has many proponents of acetone, as well as other ideas to increase gas mileage.

Quote:

I have heard about this on the net and wanted to know what your thoughts were?

It used to be the primary ingredient in winter "anti-freeze" years ago. I stopped using it about 20 years ago, when gasoline stopped having significant amounts of water. I use stabil when I have long term storage, such as generators.
grin.gif

So far no change to MPG. I will let you know what the current tank tells me when I fill up but I don't see there being any effect. So I will not use it again.

From my experience, fuels containing any hydrocarbons reduce the economy potential of acetone.

Acetone is a good co-solvent for gasoline and ethanol

Well the data behind my mini test showed no gain or loss in MPG due to the Acetone. I used about 3ozs in a full tank and saw no gains....

Will not use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back