2000 Kia Sportage throwing a P0440 evap code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for posting such a thing.

A good friend of mine has a 2000 Kia sportage. She's brought it to the dealership on many occasions when the vehicle was under warranty. They always cleared the code charged her for "diagnosis time" and never gave her an explanation. Still throwing codes.

Just wondering if anyone here knows of a common component failure. I know nissans have similar issues and the charcoal canister purge solenoid is 99.9% the culprit. Do Kia's have a similar failing component. My shop is swamped with work and my friend wants me to fix it. The dealership has already raped her wallet with no fix.

I've already replaced the gas cap with an OE new cap. Still the codes arise. No leaks are apparent. I just dont feel like going through 5 pages of diagnosis from my mitchell repair manual.

Any help would be appreciated.

With EPA mandates and stricter emissions control law (and OBD-II system is designed with various "sensors" @ various points inc. EVAP purge valve, etc.) P0440 code is usually emissions EVAP purge solenoid valve faulty, or sometimes associates with cracked/clogged return purge line or similar.

Focus on the EVAP unit (charcoal canister) valving and how to test the solenoid on that unit, and then selectively replace the valve(s) and see how it goes. Most likely, that should resolve most of the P0440~P0446 code issues.

Q.

Quest,

Thanks for replying. My gut feel is the purge solenoid.

KIA's are a pain since there are very few dealers in my local area. Majority of all emissions control are dealer items only but the Kia dealers take forever to get components.

I wouldn't be so concerned but in the lower mainland the Emissions test plugs the OBDII to scan for emission polluters such as evap malfunction. Knowing the QC of Kia I'll have to replace the entire gas tank LOL!!! I honestly wouldn't be suprised.

Former Kia Sportage owner here. 8 years. Very familiar with the P0440 evap code. 95% of the time it's the gas cap. But I see in your post that it's been replaced.

Send me an e-mail at [email protected]. I'll forward to you the section of the FSM dealing with diagnosing the P0440 evap code.

alanu-

If you think dealing with Kia Sportage's EVAP/emissions purge solenoid gives you the pain, try dealing with some aging corollas with P0440~0446 and you'll feel my pain also (currently dealing with 1, and actively shopping for a used EVAP canister).

Cheers,

Q.

Have seen this happen on Subaru's when the fuel filler neck gets a tiny rust hole in it in salt laden areas. Then the vehicle cannot successfully perform the fuel system pressurization test and throws the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back