Small Car for Big Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, JHZR2, the design of the center floor counsel below the dash makes a lot of difference. Some poke out too far or take up space to the right side of your gas pedal leg, which is my main gripe.

Xd replaces Xa? I haven't been paying attention. Didn't know that How much is an Xd?

Quote:

800 lbs heavier than previous boxy design

Yow!
shocked.gif
That's a dealbreaker for me.

The main reason I bought my Buick LeSabre is for the leg room. I'm 6'2" 290 lbs and I can drive that car with my legs almost completely straight; maybe just a slight bend at the knee. I love that little car.
smile.gif

Cogito nailed an issue that is a big problem in a lot of cars now. Look at the new Civic, an EBrake right where you knee goes. I sold my new A4 because of the d/s kneeroom. The console kills it and killed it for me when I looked at a Matrix.

Stripper Accord beats all.

I dunno about the no SR or steel wheels model, but I looked at an EX auto for $20k even. Rule of about $4k off msrp. It's a killer deal on a car that is normally priced well for it's general build. This is especially appealing for you because of it's bigger size and greater safety PLUS it's mpg is amazing for it's class, equal to smaller vehicles. I am getting 32mpg, driving briskly. Consider the Coupe too, but I think it does not come in the "Value Package" trim like the Accord Sedan does. Think about it and see what quotes you can get on Edmunds. imo, it can't be beat, especially considering resale to boot.

PS $199/mo is the lease for iirc mid-line models.

Maybe $15k for a VP Edition....that would make it pretty competitive.

Last edited:
Rather than spending $16K+ on a compact (to get the features you'd want), I'd bump up to a mid-size (like others are saying. You can easily get into a Fusion S manual for that.

I don't know anything about Fusions. Isn't that a newish model? How much? Are you sure it comes in stick?

Quote:

No, not really.

The Matrix and Vibe are clones, sharing the same 1.8l 1ZZ engine.

The xB has a 2.4l.

The xD replaces the old xA and shares the same engine as the Vibe/Matrix/Corolla, the 1.8l 1ZZ.

I looked today and the xD has the 2Zr or something like that, not the 1ZZ. Interesting ly enough, the xD has a cartridge filter located right next to the oil pan. Hmmm, maybe not the best location but I didn't look to see if it had any protection.

Is the 1ZZ also the one used in the Corolla? How is it different than the one you found (2Zr)?

The XA comes withmore standard features then a Yaris for about the same money. I am 6'2" tall and I had a heck of time getting in and out of the Yaris. The Carolla on the other hand is big person friendly getting in and out and for long drives. In some small car's you leg's are cramed against the door or the center console the Carolla is not like that for most. I thought the Vibe felt a a lot tighter getting in and out off even with it's more upright seating postion then the Carolla wich it is based off of. If you want a great deal on a vechile interm's of bang for the buck the Scion tC adn the Scion XB are great deal's and have plenty of space for most and lot's of standard features. I am a big boy as well.

Yeah, I believe you. I've got to find a Scion dealer around here. Haven't noticed one yet. Are Xa's still available? Someone said they were replaced by the Xd.

from what I hear, you can buy scion's at toyota dealers. kinda how you have to go to a bmw dealership to buy a mini cooper

Scions are found at Toyota Dealers and they have a no haggle pricing system. It is what it is.

You may find some 07 xA's around although the 1.5l engine is underpowered. As I've said, the xD comes WELL equiped for around $16k. Power everything, cruise, AM/FM/CD/MP3, four doors, 1.8l w/ 2ZR, front driver/pass airbags, seat airbags, side curtain airbags, ABS, front discs/rear drums. Plenty of options available if you want to upgrade the stereo and such. Alloy wheels are optional. 15" steel wheels with covers are standard. It's pretty peppy for a 1.8l and is a pretty comfortable ride for such a small wheel base. It's larger than the Yaris (of course) and a little smaller than the Matrix but there seems to be plenty of room. The rear seats slide for and aft x inches and recline x degrees. The 60/40 split is also standard. AC controls are a little different, as is the plastic trim around the radio/AC panel. It looks like there is a gap between the trim and dash but that is by design. Also, the plastic trim is a gloss black which may take some getting use to. Gas gauge is digital. I tested the auto which has an interesting accel to it. If you're rolling a punch it, there seems to be a little lag. It's an electronic throttle control IIRC. From a stop, WOT, it's pretty smooth. Nice shifts.

The 1ZZ is found in the Matrix/Vibe/Corolla. I thought it was the same in the xD but when I checked, I say the 2ZR designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back