FP plus vs. Lucas UCL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this may have been asked several times, but how do you think the NEW FP plus compares to Lucas UCL? I've used Lucas UCL with great results, but the cost of FP+ is about equal to Lucas UCL when you consider it only calls for 1 oz per 10 gallons fuel vs 2-3 oz for Lucas. I may be up to trying somethingt new...any thoughts? Anyone have experience with both of these additives?

I am in the middle of a Lucas UCL vs FP+ test run right now. I have used 3 tanks of Shell V-Power treated with Lucas UCL in my 2007 Civic LX. The engine seemed to run and idle smoother than without the Lucas UCL. I did not see a huge increase in mpg, but did pick up about 2 mpg. I filled up with 13 gallons of V-Power (tank holds 13.2 gallons) on Saturday and used 2 oz of FP+. I noticed an immediate increase in power, which seemed to diminish somewhat after ~15 miles. Perhaps the computer adjusted to the change in fuel composition? The engine runs just as smooth, but does seem to have slightly more power. This is subjective though, some may say a placebo effect. I did notice something interesting, however, after starting to use FP+. The 2007 Civic uses a digital gas tank gauge, which is divided into ~25 small segments. Each segment seems to roughly equate to 1/2 gallon of gas. It took about 17 miles before the first segment disappeared when using FP+. This usually happens after ~12 miles. I am wondering if I will see a more dramatic increase in mpg accordingly. I will update this post to let everyone know how things turn out.

On a sidenote, my wife's 2006 Pilot achieved 24.5 mpg on a recent trip from Houston to Atlanta on a tank that had been treated with FP+. This was 100% freeway miles, but all other tanks of gas on the trip (return trip included) only averaged about 21 mpg. Perhaps this can be attributed to FP+. My wife pointed out that some of the roads in Georgia had hills, but that would not fully explain her mileage being 21 on the return trip home.

Lucas UCL is free after rebate at Pep Boys right now. 5.25oz bottles - $3.99ea - limit 4.

Value-wise, that can't be beat. I think I'll have enough to get me to winter, then try some FP+ and see if it helps fight off the winter fuel blend MPG drop.

Are you still using V-Power? I filled up with it last night, starting my 1000 mile test using only V-Power. If I see significant improvement I will continue to use it. You see, my engine pings a little and I hope V-power will reduce the carbon deposits somewhat. Time will tell.

I have completed a test run of two tanks of V-Power treated Lucas UCL and then two treated with FP+. My findings are based on suburban driving, usually consisting of trips 10 miles or less.

Bottom Line:

The tanks treated with Lucas UCL resulted in an average 23.5 mpg in my 2007 Civic LX, whereas the tanks treated with FP+ averaged only 21.5 mpg. The engine seemed to have more pep with FP+, but seemed more smooth with Lucas UCL.

To confirm these findings I plan to use Lucas UCL in the next two tanks of gas to see if the mpg increase returns. I will update this thread when I find out.

Both are basically lubricating oils, with the difference that FP also contains a cleaning solvent. The million dollar question is why does Lucas seam to have cleaning power when it doesn't contain any solvent. FP doesn't have much solvent either, if you really want clean injectors run some Techron through there. However, either FP or Lucas would be beneficial to yuor tank, I use UCL in every tank and it defintly smooths idle and is helping me break in the vehicle. I don't know what's up with this either, seams everyone is having shrinkage issues with the new FP stuff and LCD is nowhere to be seen-
FP3000.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

I have completed a test run of two tanks of V-Power treated Lucas UCL and then two treated with FP+. My findings are based on suburban driving, usually consisting of trips 10 miles or less.

Bottom Line:

The tanks treated with Lucas UCL resulted in an average 23.5 mpg in my 2007 Civic LX, whereas the tanks treated with FP+ averaged only 21.5 mpg. The engine seemed to have more pep with FP+, but seemed more smooth with Lucas UCL.

To confirm these findings I plan to use Lucas UCL in the next two tanks of gas to see if the mpg increase returns. I will update this thread when I find out.

What mileage is your car getting with just straight V-power?

Hammer

PS. I would like to see the cleaning abilities of Lucas UCL and FP+ since I head heard that Lucas is not even close.

Be careful with the cleaning power of Techron. If you do the pour the whole bottle in routine do it on the last tank of gas before your next oil change. If you end up washing stuff down into your oil you can at least send it on it's way instead of lubricating your engine with it. Just plain engine oil is much better for your engine.

When I was comparing LUCL to FP60 last year I noticed that LUCL felt "smoothing", but I had a definite loss of light- to mid-throttle power.

Pay attention to whether FP+ "adds" zip, or whether LUCL takes it away compared to untreated fuel.

My mpg on untreated Chevron 93 octane and Shell V-Power both averaged 21-22 mpg. This mainly consisted of short trip driving, five miles to work and five miles home Monday-Friday, in suburban traffic that rarely exceeded 45 mph. I average 27-29 mpg in highway driving on tanks of Lucas UCL treated gas, but do not have data on untreated tanks.

My experience has shown that LUCL tends to produce smoother acceleration and idling in my 2007 Civic LX. As was stated above, I am also seeing a 3% to 5% increase in my mpg on tanks treated with LUCL. It is difficult to say why this is, especially given the LUCL lubricity results posted in another thread. Perhaps LUCL adds lubricity to gasoline better than diesel fuel?

FP+ seems to add pep, but does not produce the smooth acceleration and idling that I saw with tanks that had been treated with LUCL. This is subjective though and I am sure my findings could be debated for weeks. I am not bashing FP+, as I am sure that it cleans the fuel system as advertised. FP+ clearly states that it has "the potential" to increase mpg, so there is no deception on LCD's part. My gut feeling is that FP+ could use additional UCL, but that is subjective as well.

I sure wish there was some way to qualify these subjective comments about smooth idle and pep after using an additive. This stuff drove me crazy while we were testing Oilmax.

The only way I can figure to do something would be find a friend and map a route that takes a tank of fuel, filled to the top and run it until your low fuel warning light comes on or something like that and do back to back tests. A difference in distance points to better performance...maybe. Problem is you have to find a friend and blow a day on each test. The friend will help you to be consistent and can document the results. Doing any test while commuting to work has got to be a shot in the dark.

UCL is cheaper and doesn't seam to have the quality and distribution problems as LCD products. It is a great upper cylinder lube and no question I have gotten better gas milage, albeit a newer engine. I'm not sure if my milage increase is from engine breakin or not, but UCL also has helped enormosly in my Chevy. The truck was not running near as good as it does with UCL. For 19 bucks a gallon, UCL is a no brainer. I'd be more inclined to try LCD products if they were local, but many people have had issues with getting their products so I would never order off their website. Where's that old dude that first sold LCD, maybe he should get it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back