Hunting Bullets - Favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Hornady Interlock and Nosler Partition for Deer size game.
Winchester Failsafe and Barnes-X for larger game.
Powerbelt for muzzleloader. (do not use the aerotip for Deer, they won't expand. I had a very long track job.)
rugerman.gif

Until the brew ha ha with A-Square (which turned out to be bogus, but still the company has never been the same since), I fell in love with the Dead Tough Soft Points. Not exactly a pretty bullet, in fact, in .30-06 terms, they looked wierd, seeing a full soft point in a caliber with so many pointed tips available. But it did the job of knocking deer on there rears faster than anything else I had used prior to trying them.

Barnes X-Bullets are good, but for whitetail hunting, are usually overkill in the shock/power department, but they get my second ranking for the sheer power of knockdown.

Everything else has been plain just doing it's job...but that's what a bullet is supposed to do, right?
wink.gif

I like Sierra, both Game King and Pro Hunter for hunting. I use Sierra Match King's for varmit shooting. I have always had good accuracy with Sierra's in all my bolt action rifles.
For Elk hunting, I use Nosler Partition's in my 8mm Mag. I give up a little accuracy for better expansion control on larger game with the Nosler's.

A few years back Alaska F&G recommendations for a minimum 'bear gun' was either a 12ga with slugs or a 30.06 with 180gr Nosler Partitions. It was interesting that they were specific about the bullet, but it makes sense.

The newer Barnes also look attractive as on paper they would be more accurate, not having as complicated of a construction.

Yep.

Licence has to be endorsed for target rimfire, and target centrefire.

Other endorsements I have are recreational hunting/vermin control rimfire and centrefire.

If Police find a recreational hunter at a rifle range (unless a member of a hunting club on a registered range shoot) it's possibly $10k, 2 years in jail, forfeit firearms.

Quote:

If Police find a recreational hunter at a rifle range (unless a member of a hunting club on a registered range shoot) it's possibly $10k, 2 years in jail, forfeit firearms.

frown.gif
mad.gif
I guess they don't want hunters practicing??
smirk.gif

Winchester Power Points always worked as well as anything else on whitetails for me in .243, .30-30, and .270. Remington Core-Lokts never reliably expanded for me in the .270. Have not used the Remingtons in the other two.

Remington Core-Lokt 180gr PSP in a .30-06. Drops 'em like a freight train.
Same for the 170gr Core-Lokt in our Marlin .30-30.

Quote:

Hornady V-Max.

Haven't missed a single piece of paper since I started using them.

I second this. Or third it. The V-Max bullets and the similar Nosler Ballistic Tips are the most accurate bullets I've ever shot.

That paper doesn't stand a chance at my house either.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back