New stuff coming from AMSOIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, the specs are almost identical. The TSO four-ball test was conducted in 2005. The SSO test was conducted in 2007. The SSO shows a larger wear scar, but the competitive oils show an even greater increase from the 2005 tests. The SSO shows a .04mm increase in wear, but PP shows a .06mm increase. Maybe Amsoil used a different lab that had softer balls?? All things considered, SSO looks to be as worthy an oil as the TSO. Marketing will probably be the biggest difference between them.

Guys please use this link: Amsoil SSO 0W-30

The largest difference is TBN and detergent/dispersant additive package. 13.2 is pretty healthy for a somewhat light viscosity motor oil.

I don't put a ton of weight on 4-ball wear tests. While they can be a guideline, comparing tiny differences in wear scars is not so valuable because it's well within the lack of repeatability noise.

As usual, bring on the UOA's. I have much more faith in the new SSO!

Well it's good the updated this oil, it needed it.

Quote:

What are the differences between SSO and TSO Answer: The new Signature Series 0W-30 has an enhanced TBN of 13.2 and is supplemented with high levels of ashless antioxidants. SSO also has an anti-wear system that is custom and proprietary.

Definitely. Instead of having three oil lines (XL/prem/SSO), it would be cool if they made ASM/ASL/ATM line the same as the SSO.

Quote:

Definitely. Instead of having three oil lines (XL/prem/SSO), it would be cool if they made ASM/ASL/ATM line the same as the SSO.

The issue with this is the cost jump from the XL up to the SS line. I think they need the middle ground to keep in the fight.

Quote:

The issue with this is the cost jump from the XL up to the SS line. I think they need the middle ground to keep in the fight.

True, and that is a good point, but they also have to be better than Mobil 1 in that middle ground so I was thinking more towards having a 0w-20/ 5w-30 and 10w-30 based on SSO chemistry but I'm asking for too much.
grin.gif

The fact that Series 2000 began 10+ years ago demanded a name change already.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
Especially since it's 2007!

As far as Amsoil having 3+ tiers of oil, and a wide variety of "other" oils to select from...is very powerful for the dealer and ultimately the customer. I rarely have people gripe about the selection.... a bit confused, needing help? Sure. That's my job!
cheers.gif
cheers2.gif
beer2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back