2002 F250 7.3L PSD results. Comments please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 F250 7.3L PSD with 103k miles, 12k miles on Valvoline 5W40 Extreme Blue. I've checked the coolant for exhaust gasses... None.

Iron 125
Copper 8
Tin 0
Lead 12
Chromium 4
Nickel 2
Aluminum 4
Titanium 0
Silver 0
Calcium 2992
Magnesium 15
Zinc 1821
Phosphorous 1642
Barium 6
Molybdenum 99
Antimony 28
Silicon 14
Sodium 11
Boron 93
Potassium 0
Vanadium 0

V40C 90.7
V100C 14.2
TAN 3.45
FLASH 415
OXID 19
NIT 10
KF Moisture 1169
TBN 7.4
FUEL .0470
SOOT 0.22
GLYCOL 1.02
Vndx 161

Sulfate By Product = 22.

Obviously a bit of coolant in there...something to get on soonest. Maybe your heads? Others with more experience will reply shortly I am sure.
On another note, who did you use for the UOA? I notice the VPBX has Antimony. It doesn't ususally show up with the regular analyzers.
As well, did you use any oil additives? Those are some pretty high ZDDP numbers.

Like I said, probably a problem in your heads- like the gasket. Did you overheat lately? Or while towing? If you have coolant in your oil it will continue to eat your bearings. Best to take it off the road and sort it out.
Good luck.

I have never overheated. Cu is below 10; Pb is below 40 and Silver is 0, so it doesn't look like too much bearing wear.

The "blue liquid" test stayed blue, so it indicates that there is no exhaust gasses in the coolant. The diesel mechanic thinks that it may be the o-rings at the block mounted oil cooler becuase the radiator / overflow has not exploded and he's seen the problem with the o-rings before.

I have not yet pressure tesed the cooling system as an internal leak location would not be discovered doing that, I don't think. One other thing, the Y-pipe at the turbo was replaced under warranty as it has cracks in it during this oil change interval, is there water jackets there that could induce coolant into the oil during the switch out process?

I honestly do not know much about the 7.3...wish I could help you more. Any diesel shops near you that specialize in this area/engine?
Thing is you don't want to go too long on this problem.

Quote:

Like I said, probably a problem in your heads- like the gasket. Did you overheat lately? Or while towing? If you have coolant in your oil it will continue to eat your bearings. Best to take it off the road and sort it out.
Good luck.

Most PSD's get coolant in their oil from the oil cooler O-rings failing.

Hammer

Got the cooling system pressure checked today and it bled down slowly when hot. Then checked it with the engine running and there was no movement of the gage, indicative of a head gasket leak. I am seriously suspecting the oil cooler o-rings, but will let it ride for a couple thousand miles so I can get some use out of the $100 worth of oil/filter that I just put in. It will be under close monitoring during this time.

BTW, the stealership said it'll be a difficult 8 hour job and the diesel mechanic that I am working with on this said 2.4 hours.

BTW:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Quote:

BTW:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Yeah, I was on the phone with the administrator a little bit ago...the site crashed earlier today and they are scratching their heads trying to figure out how to get it back up.

Hammer

Book time is 2.4 hours @ $60/hour = $144.00 Labor vs stealership 8 at $87.50 = $700.00. I don't think so.

The mechanic I'm dealing with said this: "I used to work at Crest Chevrolet and quit because they were ripping people off. To the dealership your a CPC (cash paying customer) and book time goes out the window in the name of profit. They can't get away with that under warranty as the factory knows what it takes to do it" He got his creeper out and climbed underneath and said, I know I can do it in 2.4 hours or less. I really don't feel like spending half of a Saturday doing this and don't have a press, so I'm going to have him do it.

Did the cold engine cooling system pressure test at 16psi with no bleed down at all. Any comments on that combined with the pressure test when hot above? Are the oil cooler o-rings most likely the culprit here?

Im a diesel tech and a PSD owner. I agree with Hammer that it is most likely a cooler leaking. Not tring to high jack Bob's site but you should also check out www.powerstroke.org.
hornets_nest.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back