Best oil for VW's new 2.5l R5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently running AFAIK dealer bulk Vavoline Synpower 5w40 on 5k OCIs. The car will be reaching 10k very shortly so it's second oil change will be due.

The new OCI will be 10k miles but I do not think Valvoline is up to the task, I was gonna try GC but then I saw ELF locally available.

Is it better to use an oil meeting just 502 or 502/504? Is it possible to net better fuel economy with a 0w30?

What do the collective audience here think?

I will be sampling this last oil just to get a baseline and then sample again at 5k on the new oil just to see how it compares.

The car should be fairly broken in by now.

That engine holds nearly 6.5 qts of oil. I'm not sure of any reports that this engine is particularly hard on oil, so 502 oil should be fine. I would stick with 5W-40.

What is this strange note under engine oil?

Quote:

1. Add 2.0 L (2.1qt) if equipped W/ rear heating for all engine

Seems like this would apply to coolant???

I'd stick with M1 0w40. Easily available at a fair market price. M1 0w40 will work perfectly for 10k mile OCI's in your VW.

I have a '00 GTI with the 1.8T. I've used everything from 0w30 to 10w40 synthetic in it. Gas mileage is the same on all of them.

GC will work fine if you want to use that. Happy hunting.

I just mailed out my first 5k run to Blackstone, so we'll see how the factory fill did. Also I refilled with Pento Speed 5w-40, so we'll see how that does. Looking to run 10k changes on the Pento Speed...

Well since 10k is right around the corner(literally) after our roadtrip, I will give Mobil 1 0w40 a try just because of ease to find.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back