best synthetic gear oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I`ve got Mobil 1 75W140 in my Z.

^
thumbsup.gif

Why does Mobil 1 want almost twice the money for their 75W-140 as opposed to their 75W-90? I just changed today to Royal Purple 75w-140, same price as their 75w-90 or Mobil 1 75w-90.... I just couldn't see why I should spend an extra $26 to use Mobile 1 75w-140.

Quote:

Why does Mobil 1 want almost twice the money for their 75W-140 as opposed to their 75W-90? I just changed today to Royal Purple 75w-140, same price as their 75w-90 or Mobil 1 75w-90.... I just couldn't see why I should spend an extra $26 to use Mobile 1 75w-140.

I was wondering the same thing. What`s the deal with the 75W140 being $15,while the 75W90 is $9?

Yep, 110wt is a new spec. Various 90wts were in the 110wt range years ago.

Definitely use the 75w110 as an upgrade.

Quote:

Reading the Amsoil "white paper" (further down this section of the forum) convinced me that Mobil 1 was the best value.

I find it funny how M1 gets bashed so often, yet on every test Amsoil does, it's always #2 and in some cases #1. Tells me that most people don't know what the heck they are talking about.
grin.gif

I used Valvoline 75w140 in my mom's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it worked as well as the factory fill. Later I changed it out with Royal Purple Max Gear 75w140, and I couldn't feel any difference. Valvoline and Royal Purple gear oils contained limited slip additives already, so that is why I used them in mom's SUV.

In both Automatic and Manual transmissions, I have been using Shell, Mobil1 and Royal Purple. I found that RP was the best of them. Then I tried something that totally changed everything I thought I knew, about shift-quality and smooth operation: I filled the transmissions with Synlube. I am never going to use anything else. Before I did this, I had been driving at least 1 million miles(1609000km), and if someone had told me back then, that the differences in shift-quality were so big, I would just have been laughing. It just annoys me that I didn't try this before.

Rp for me. I had 75w140 for the rear, and 75w90 for the front of my jeep liberty. I did the front first, and unfortunately put the 75w140 in the front w/ my first quart (too excited...dum dum). Therefore, both the front and rear diffs have a mix of the thin and thick stuff. Seems to work great, but winter is still on its way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back