Cartridge filter or spin on filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a few have, iirc. The advantage may be a wider selection of vendors since the cartridge may be made by few(er) suppliers. The spin-on filters may have more diversity in manufacturers/quality levels.

It allows the use of a common Ford/Mazda 3/4-16 filter. The most popular spin-on in the world.

I'm uncertain of the various offerings in the cartridge filter.

We do get to inspect the filter guts during the oil change. The filter guts may be of some interest to some of us. I personelly would rather have a spin-on but, probably won't go to the trouble of purchasing the adapter, gasket and installing the stuff.

I have a manual in which Toyota outlines the improvements of the 2007 Camry compared to the 5th gen.

Regarding the V6 cartridge filter, they say it is "... combustible for environmental protection"

But where does a DIYer (such as myself) take the used filters. My capacity isn't as large as a shop so using a specialized recyler is out of the question. I take my used oil do the city's public recycling center, but they don't take stuff such as used ATF, oil filters, and air filters. I even called the various oil change shops and no one wants to take this stuff for the recycler to haul away....

That's gotta be tough, man.

My local "dump" takes oil filters, oil, trans fluid, coolant and batteries.

Both of your local Checker Auto Parts take batteries and oil. CSK's website says that they hope to expand the number of locations accepting filters. Maybe start by asking them
dunno.gif

Sorry I'm not much help.

"But where does a DIYer (such as myself) take the used filters."

According to this website:

http://earth911.org/search-recycle?what=...&goRecycle=

the Wal Marts on South Valley Drive and South Walton Blvd. both accept used oil filters for recycling in Las Cruces. The earth911.org website has a good search feature where you enter what you want to recycle and your zip code and it give you the nearest places in it's database.

No, I would not convert a modern cartridge type filter to spin on. I like that with a cartridge filter you can visually inspect the working bits of the new filter before installation. With a spin on you have no idea what is inside the can. I also like that you can easily have a look at the used filter if you are so inclined. No nasty cutter needed! Finally, less to throw away or recycle is always a good thing.

Quote:

kokopelli - Do you have a Wal-mart nearby? Most locations will take your used filters.

Yup, most of your AutoZones will take used filters as well. I save them up in plastic kitty litter pails (5gal bucket with lid type thing) and turn the whole thing in once full.

Joel

Quote:

No, I would not convert a modern cartridge type filter to spin on.

I here you there. The top load cartridge filter on my Ecotec is simple and mess free to change.

Joel

The bottom loading cartridge on my Mazda CX 7 is a pain. I will not convert to a spin-on. I figure with practice I will minimize the pain and mess. Ed

After 50 years of "modern" spin-ons, cartridges are making a comeback. Reasons include the ability of the engine manufacturer to control critical elements such as bypass pressure, burst strength, etc., manufacturing cost, and a nod toward environmental PC.

Advantages to the consumer include,
* top-fill locations, instead of side or bottom mounts for cleaner refill, no oil spillage.
* the ability to fill the oil through that nice BIG filter opening (easier to hit!).
* cheaper elements (with the ability to inspect if you are so inclined.

disposal is the same for me, spin-on or cartridge. I partly cut off the top of a 2 liter Soda bottle, put it down next to the filter, put on gloves, spin off cap/filter, carefully put the filter into the Soda Bottle. When the bottle is full, I take to the nearest auto parts store I have been going to, or Walmart, or KMart, or the city/county recycling center.

I cannot imagine someone having difficulty finding recycling near their home. I live in a (very) rural Texas county, and I have 4 easy to reach choices.

NO, do not convert. The parts normally found in the spin on are built into the engine, with better quality.

An amusing sidenote, Wix, the inventor of the spin-on, provides cartridges. However, the ones I have seen are imports of very reputable, Wix equivalent quality, Euro manufacturers.

Quote:

I just bought a 2.3L Mazda 6 Sport hatchback and found this link while doing research on the car:
http://www.mazda6tech.com/Articles/Maint...47&Itemid=1

What are the pros and cons of both systems? Would anyone here consider doing this conversion?

The new xD I'm buying has a cartridge filter. It's located sideways, on the bottom of the engine, near the oil pan. Looks simple enough to pull the drain plug and filter cover at the same time. It's going to be a tight squeeze to get under there though!

I'm also considering this swap on my Fusion. The cartridge filters are easy to find, and are actually cheaper than the spin-on (contrary to the article). Fleetfilter has the cartridge filters for slighty over $3. It's still a pain. Of course I've only dealt with spin-ons all my life. "Change" is often rough. Many state this mod will void your warrany of any future oil-realted engine repairs. That's of course the biggest con. The cartridge actually isn't as bad as I anticipated. I bought the Autozone filter cap wrench, and torqued it to spec. You do not have to remove the filter drain plug every OCI. I just remove the cap -- and the plug stays intact. (one less hassle, and possibility of error).

thanks guys. i'll check with wally world. so far csk and AZ only take oil and batteries, no ATF, etc

i knew BITOG would have the answers! LOL

sorry to hijack the thread.

sorry to do this again...maybe my questions and the answers should be moved...lol...sorry to hijack again, but my filters have been thru post-mortem... all their guts are out and the steel canisters are smashed as flat as possible.... not sure if WM will take that or not.

our city recylcing at least takes number 2 plastic, which is what oil jugs are made from, so at least when i take the oil, and used coolant there, i can get rid of their jugs as well....

hehe...
thanks again guys. i'll keep the earth911 thing in mind. i hate going into wal-mart as much as possible, but if i have to in order to help Mother Earth, then I guess that's not so bad.

Auto Zone as mentioned and Advance Auto should help you out, even with the stuff in pieces. Most just let you go back and dump the stuff yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back