Nissan Sentra Code P1401,EGR Temp Sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanic pulled code P1401 when my Dad took his 2001 Sentra there late today before they could get into it. They said something about a smoke test to find the problem. My Google search said it was the EGR temp sensor and not a "evaporative system" type code that would be associated with a smoke test
dunno.gif

Anyone ever have this code on their Nissan and is it an easy repair to replace the EGR temp sensor?

Thanks

I have experience with that code on V6 3.0L engines. There is a silicone hose that runs from a nipple on the ex manifold to some sort of diaphragm device (I think it was termed an EGR pressure/flow regulator) mounted on the intake, it was located near the throttle body. You could feel around on the bottom of the diaphragm housing (not EGR valve) and work down to the hose and feel where it would blow out. We replaced the hose and it fixed all of the concerns for that particular code.

It has been 7 years since I worked on any Nissan powertrains so my info is dated. Agreed, a smoke test is for evap emission concerns, not EGR concerns. Any vac leak as well on an EGR system on a Nissan will set that code as well, so check the hoses while you are there. Ck to make sure a nipple on the EVR isn't broken as well while you are poking around it.

Just got back from Autozone,Dad had the code wrong,it is 1491.
pat2.gif

A quick copy and paste from a Nissan Sentra site;

***your looking at about 300$ or so.... i've had this p1491 since summer 2005, never fixed it, the car still runs fine, with that said you should fix it when you can afford it.... check out the following found online:

"The computer code P1491 is an evaporative type code, which means the system/component in question aids in handling gasoline vapors from the gas tank. Most of these system components are located at the rear of the vehicle.The evaporative type code rarely causes a driveability complaint."
(http://www.alldata.com/techtips/2004/20041215b.html)

However in the US from what i understand, you gotta watch out for emissions tests, cause this code essentially means that your polluting; the fumes from the gas tank are not being sent to the combustion chamber to be burnt off, but released.***

***Ok, went back to the dealer and they found that the Vacuum cut valve had been installed upside down. No SES light since.

Here are parts cost (canadian price):
Vacuum valve: 18$
Vacuum valve bypass valve: 136$
Canister : 200$

If I were you I you would inspect the canister first because it's a very fragile part.***

***My SE started throwing the P1491 code last year. The vacuum cut valve and the bypass valve needed replaced; no SES light since.

The only recommendation I can give is to not top off your tank when filling up. Stop when the pump clicks off***

How hard would it be to replace the vacuum cut valve and the bypass valve? What do they look like and where are they
confused.gif
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back