Amsoil 12 Store Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flat out love Amsoil products. I think a common, and hopefully totally unjustified thought, would be that Amsoil would somehow reduce the quality of thier excellent products like so many other mass produced product manufacturers have. I still see Amsoil as a specialized lubricants company.

I see nothing wrong with making Amsoil readily available to the consumer who wants, IMO, the best products available to them.
smile.gif

Quote:

With the multipage RP in WM thread, sorta wondering why no commentary here. People all the time ask why no Amsoil in such and such store.

Well......Pablo, because of the MLM?

I still don't like the fact that GI-Joes can have a mega-amount of stores, way past the 12...and be grandfathered in and then sell the business for millions and the Corporation that buy's it can go on adding stores! Hey lets call it GI-Joe Mart that sells only American made products? Oh, that how Walmart started
laugh.gif

These new extended rules are interesting, to say the least. Basically the way I read it if a dealer finds a store that can handling ordering for that store and only the store (or 12 or less underlings), even if a larger chain, they can sell Amsoil. But I doubt many big chains can sell stuff on their own....what say the retailing guru's out there?

For what it is worth, there is an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal about what has happened to some companies that got their products into the megastores, such as Walmart and Home Depot. Not always too good for the company.

Yeah,

Just ask Vlasic about their 1 Gallon jar of pickles and Walmart.
frown.gif

Could you imagine a 5 Quart jug of Amsoil for $19.99 at Walmart.
grin.gif

I guess the problem I am having with this is that if a store chain....Take McDonalds...yes, the golden arches, has 1 million stores, each independent, each it's own store. This new policy allows for each store to buy at dealer price, or PC price, retail...all the same price.

I recently have seen DVD rentals at McDonalds for 1 dollar a rental, the rest of the stores in town rent for 3 dollars. McDonalds may be breaking even at a dollar or making a small profit, but they are bringing in the customer that might just buy dinner with that DVD?

I feel the mass distribution system can be abused and the small independent dealer trying to sell retail with some shipping costs to recoup some shipping will suffer in this whole scheme to go BIG RETAIL on Amsoils new and improved 12PLUS store policy. The only chains they have blackballed so far are Walmart and another autoparts chain
mad.gif
I think this is anti-dealer policy who sell retail out of their garage. How much will the Big Retailer save the customers per quart? Only time will tell
dunno.gif

Something else to remember is the freight rates, anything over 1000 lbs is 24cents a pound, any product purchased over 5000 dollars gets a 10% deduct towards freight charges. Or the customer or dealer can pickup at the warehouse.
box.gif

This is not a scheme to go BIG RETAIL. It is a means to keep from doing that. Al Amatuzio knows that the independent dealers built his company, and he isn't about to dump on them.
The current policy insures that the retail outlets are paying the same as the dealers. Oh yes, there is a freight break for those ordering over $3750 or $7500 worth (going up next month).
In my experience, the stores with accounts recognize that they don't have to shave profit margin on AMSOIL. Most sell it for what the local independent dealer will sell it for, or maybe even more (to meet their perceived minimum profit margin requirements).

Yep, I pick up at the Product Center. It takes about 2 hours down, 1 hour loading, 2 hours back, another hour unloading. And I have to have a vehicle that will do this, which costs purchase money, tax money, plate money, insurance money, maintenance money. For most retail accounts, unless they are almost co-located with the Product Center, it isn't worth it.

I've heard the complaints about shops "cutting prices" and making it impossible for the independent dealer to survive.
In fact, most of the shops don't carry all the products, and probably aren't super eager to get the small orders of stuff they don't carry (if they understand how). And probably 90% of the potential customers never set foot in one of the retail account stores. Most retail accounts are small shops, where they sell the products in conjunction with repairs and maintenance.

The 12Plus rules have been around for some time now, and AMSOIL business is growing at a remarkable rate-like double in three years! Guess they must be doing something right.

Mills Fleet Farm (Minnesota) has carried Amsoil for some time- a number of years now. I am not a marketeer and will let others explain the legaleaze and policy interpretations which keep Amsoil out of Walmart yet have it available at Fleet Farm. I have even seen it on sale in their Sunday Cicular. Anyhoo, I have appreciated having handy at a place I shop often for other hardware, hunting and fishing gear, snowmobile and motorcycle stuff, etc. I hope this continues and that Amsoil as a company makes prudent decisions which benefit it as a company, yet maintain it's products as "high end" superior Lubes. If that means they don;t sell it at Walmart - that is just fine with me. I fleet farm did not sell it, I would buy some items elsewhere, but overall chances are I would buy Amsoil products less often if I had to go to, say my Arctic Cat dealer to find it. my 2 cents klr

Hey, honestly, ordering oil is much easier than driving down and buying it. 2-3 clicks and it comes to me. Im planning on going with amsoil as soon as I reach 30,000 and run out of valvoline.

I found two shops right down the road that both carry amsoil, one's a mechanic's garage and the other is a snowmobile/quad shop. I'd still prefer to order online though, to support the site sponsors.

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church
For what it is worth, there is an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal about what has happened to some companies that got their products into the megastores, such as Walmart and Home Depot. Not always too good for the company.

I remember what happened to Rubbermaid...

If I am able to buy from and support someone "locally"(within this country) than I am willing to pay a little more.

Originally Posted By: klr
Mills Fleet Farm (Minnesota) has carried Amsoil for some time- a number of years now. I am not a marketeer and will let others explain the legaleaze and policy interpretations which keep Amsoil out of Walmart yet have it available at Fleet Farm. I have even seen it on sale in their Sunday Cicular. Anyhoo, I have appreciated having handy at a place I shop often for other hardware, hunting and fishing gear, snowmobile and motorcycle stuff, etc. I hope this continues and that Amsoil as a company makes prudent decisions which benefit it as a company, yet maintain it's products as "high end" superior Lubes. If that means they don;t sell it at Walmart - that is just fine with me. I fleet farm did not sell it, I would buy some items elsewhere, but overall chances are I would buy Amsoil products less often if I had to go to, say my Arctic Cat dealer to find it. my 2 cents klr

They are able to get it and sell it because they do their own purchasing. It's not purchased by the parent company and then shipped around. NO CENTRAL PURCHASING ALLOWED.

Jared

*NON SPONSOR BITOG LINKS AREN'T ALLOWED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back