GC good for 94 Toyota p/u with a 22re?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a stash of GC that I've been running in my 95 Miata with great results. It's time to change the oil in my newly acquired pickup with 137k on it and I was wondering if the GC will be beneficial for an engine rated for a 10w-30? I know it's a great oil, but I've read several posts about not running anything less than a 10w-30 or 10w-40 for extended highway use in these engines (increased burn off). The previous fill was 3qts 10w-30 and 1 qt 10w-40 Halvoline.

If GC has a higher chance of burn off, then I'll just stick with the havoline and 5-7k OCIs and save the diminishing stock for my Miata.

90% of my driving is around 60mph on a local highway and twice a month I drive 120 miles round trip at 70+.

Well no replies yet, so let me phrase it differently.

Is it worth using up my GC in an engine this old? The original owner changed it regularly at the quick lube places with bulk dino.

So, use up the GC I've got on the shelf or buy Maxlife for $1/qt instead?

you can consider GC as a 10W-30 if you like since it meets the 0w rating it also meets the 10W rating. AT operating temp it is still a 30 weight oil.

GC 0w-30 will be thicker than most any 5w-30 / 10w-30 at 0-10F and above.

Tried GC in my "newer" 96 Tacoma with the 2RZ-FE 4 banger. Great UOA but the truck didn't "like" the thicker oils. Rougher idle and it just seemd to drag abit while revving, according to the butt-dyno. Castrol GTX 5W-30 smoothed it out and seems rev more freely. Dyson Analysis shows great results with this oil too. 155K BTW.

Save the GC for something that will appreciate it, or just sell it. I think the Maxlife would be a better "fit" for your truck. I'm considering the Pennz Platinum at the BOGO Advance price when the GTX runs out (soon).

My wife had a 84 4x4 with a 22r years ago I tried all 30 wts 10w/40 Amsoil and 10w40 Redline and Amsoil 20w/50 oil All the oils except the 20w/50 were fine . You could tell the 50 wt was in there . I don't think 50 wt is necessary unless the oil operating temps are way up. Sold the 84 then bought a 92 4x4 xcab with a v6 and ran all ow 5w and 10w and 5w/40 ,15w40 the 30 wts were fine the 15w40 worked on the summer. I just put G.C green in my 2006 2.7 Toy 4x4 xcab I ran around town for a day and did a 500 mile freeway trip the oil was fine. The oil will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back