1993 Toyota Previa - Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I'm new here and glad I found the site. I hope you guys can help me with my problems:

I know NOTHING about oil, and bought my 1993 Previa USED, roughly 3000 miles ago. There is now currently about 133500 miles on the van, and I've been told they've been known to "keep going" - much so of why I bought it in the first place. The previous/first owner told me he changed the oil every 3000 miles, so I guess that responsibility now falls upon me. Though they've been known to last, I want to take care of the engine as best as possible by my hands. So, lies the problem. I want to switch over to full synthetic since many here, and many online, say it'll help clean up the engine and that it'll deter engine wear better than conventional. Is there anything preventing me from changing the oil like any other car and filling up with synthetic instead of conventional? I've read through many posts/places which make it even more difficult to decypher whether or not a switch would cause any problems. Some say switching to full synthetic on a high-mileage older vehicle is not a good idea. Some say itll destroy the seals(?) I've also heard that even if I could switch, i gotta get a full fuel system flush so that the two types of oils don't mix? (O_O) AERGH!!! the HEADACHE! Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. BTW, it runs 10W30

I have a 91 on Previa with 350k kms it and have used both conventional 5w30 and 10w30 (Mobil 1, Castrol, QuakerState, etc.), but have never gotten a used oil analysis to see what kind of wear is going on. I'm sure you can use ANY cheap conventional non synthetic oil, continue changing every 3000 miles and the van will continue to run for a long time. You could also switch to synthetic and run longer OCI (oil change intervals), say 5000 miles at the minimum, with any synthetic. If you decided to go with GC 0w30 (check the Euro oil sub forum for more info on it), you should be able to run 7000-8000 miles IMO, but many would recommend to get an oil analysis to make sure it's doing okay.

My current fill is Amsoil 5w40 since it was on sale at the quick lube place when we got it changed in the winter. It's a bit thicker than normal, but seems to be doing fine. I think the engine became a bit louder after the switch, but with the mileage who knows what caused it.

If you plan on keeping this van for another 100k miles than I'd suggest you do an auto-rx treatment (www.auto-rx.com) and switch to a quality synthetic like Schaffers, GC Castrol 0w30 or whatever you can get locally for cheap.

I would use dino oil first to monitor oil consumption. If you want an oil with more antiwear additives, one of the High mileage dino oils will suit your needs

Ahh, the great Previa engine. Such a good engine, and yes they do keep going. From all the feedback on this site about Valvoline Maxlife, I would certainly consider it as stated above in the 10w30 weight. I personally think this is one of the best powerplants used by Toyota in the 90's. We have seen many of them with well over 200,000 miles running great. With the oil resevoir there is very little worry about ever going low on engine oil too!

Generally speaking Toyota engines last forever. My 89' Camry 4 cylinder keeps going no matter what!!!

In your case since your previa was bought used I wouldn't rely on the sellers word that the oil was changed religiously every 3K. IF I were you I'd have the delaership give the engine a good flushing first before putting any new type of oil in the engine. My dealership has a device that hooks-up to the engine and pumps in some sort of solvent cleaning out the internals until it appears clean. I think it's called Belstein and I think they make shocks too.

Regarding the oil if you want to switching to synthetic oil should be no problem as I use M1 exclusively with no ill effects. The seals would actually benifit from it also in time. Valvoline Maxlife is a good brand name to use so you should not worry if you want to try it.

Durango

thanks for the info, ill look into valvoline maxlife. Also, is there any truth to the myths/rumors in my first post? mainly about the problems of switching over to full synthetic on a semi-old-semi-high-mileage vehicle? thanks for everything so far guys!

Also, i forgot to ask: is there any reason why some people switch from the manufacturer suggestion 10w30 to "5w30" or "5w40" and all these other ones? any chance of better gas mileage by switching 'em up? previa engines are great for durability , but not too great in the gas-mileage department.

The thinner an oil is, the better the gas mileage "should" be. You might be able to run a 0w20 or 5w20 and gain a couple MPG. I'll probably try it out this winter and see if it helps. Valvoline Maxlife is loved on here and would be a great oil for the Previa.

thanks e36'n for the info. anyone else with some input on varying oil types in my 10w30 recommended previa? also, anyone to debunk those myths/rumors in my first post?

macvictorocsf,

I use to use Mobil 1 10w-30 before but since my dealership carries M1 5w-30 now I just use that. The five weight will give you a little easier start-up in the mornings which can save you a little gas and thcken up to thirty as it heats up during driving. Since your in California too I see no reason why you can't go 5w-30 either.

The other question regarding switching to synthetic right away I see no reason why you can't do that right away also. If synthetic oil gives a slow cleaning of the engine internals it might be a good thing if you don't want to flush your engine first. Again in your case since your Previa was bought used I won't take the word of the seller seriously no matter what the condition of the vehicle is. I'd still have the engine flushed good before re-filling with another fresh batch of oil wether it's dino or synthetic.

Good luch to ya,

Durango

I just run whatever 10W30 conventional oil in my '92 Previa and change it every 7500 miles or so. Mine has 70,000 original miles on it.
shocked.gif

Run standard Mobil 1 10w-30. Look at the UOAs that Ive posted for ours. Ours has 206k on it and is like new still. We have owned it since new, when we bought it in 1994.

UOAs show that there is negligible wear on the engine at 10k or so mile OCIs with M1 10w-30. It really is an oil optimized to the toyota metalurgy.

We changed from dealer bulk 10w-30 to M1 10w-30 when I started doing the changes on it at 160k miles. Still perfect and no leaks or consumption now at 206k.

Great vehicle, treat it nice and itll last forever.

Good luck!

JMH

we never did UOA prior to switching to mobil1. When you have something like 8ppm Fe and substantially less of the other wear metals, no consumption and an overall great result at OCIs over 10k, there is little need, IMO.

JMH

Great ride, and one that is on my list of if you can find a decent one, buy it.
The mod has given you first hand info on what oil to use, so I will leave oil choice alone.
Good luck with your quite unique van.

had a 91 Previa-from the FIL. He had it serviced a TOYO dealer every 5K with whatever 10-30 they filled it with. I sold it at 200K and used whatever 10-30 was on sale-ran great, even had a 10K interval once. Used the orange can as well no problems. If I remember correctly it took 6 quarts

thanks for all the help guys! I found Penzoil Platinum on sale and switched directly over, no leaks *crosses fingers* . Gonna run it for 3k with some fuel system cleaner, and either stick with it depending on how it feels in that 3k, or maybe try either mobil 1 or valvoline maxlife. thanks again everyone! hoping this previa lasts me 500k, wonder what gas prices are gonna be then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back